Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Read This About Bring Fuel Back From Mexico Into Ca

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TreeFarm
Only if you're a citizen. Everyone else just strolls across somewhere.
Haha! So sad and so true.

I personally would not risk my life in Mexico for a tank of diesel (or anything for that matter), but I raise my beer glass to those of you that do. I think you should be allowed to do that. You found a creative solution to the diesel problem and the govt. doesn't like that. Yet, the govt. isn't willing to offer a solution either. Isn't life grand?

So let me get this straight. I live in Southern California and see more cars on our roads today with Mexico license plates than I've ever seen in my life. These cars get a free pass to drive on our roads in a vehicle that doesn't meet US DOT safety standards, on roads they didn't pay for, and using Mexican fuel that doesn't meet our emissions standards. That's okay. But if we, the citizens, drive our vehicles that DO meet US DOT safety standards, on the roads that we DO pay for, then we're penalized for using Mexican fuel? Makes no sense, but then I can't recall the last time the govt. did anything that made sense.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Funny, guys are leaving the country for cheap diesel, not coke.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:36 PM

So, SD, any updates on the new policy?
It has not been done in Texas yet, but I am told it is coming.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Mexico Updates

None that i have herd of
The guy @ CPB says that not they want all the ports in the usa to follow this rule that he proposed.

the bad thing is that CBS did a story a couple days ago about a guy that has a modified pick up that holds about 300 gallons and he crosses ever day. not sure if he does it legal or illegal.

If i was going to add a tank i would spend a little more $ and buy the tanks that http://www.aerotanks.com/ has
the factory replacement tanks. there is some other news floating around that they want to start changing some type of tax for aux (nurse tanks). and the one from aero is not a nurse as it is the primary tank.

any way i put my tank back in my truck
got inspected my a sentri officer and he said as of today that if the tank is hooked up to the primary tank professionally looking then there would be no problem and he said (AS OF TODAY)
i then went into Mexico got fuel in OTAY went to sentri in S.Y. and crossed at 5pm on Tuesday in 10m min. the officer did nto say anything about tank.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM

I have another thread going, "Mexican Diesel-Texas". A member from NM said no problems there, but he had an in bed tank. He was going to try a 55 gal drum next. Waitning to hear from my Terlingua neighbor for an update.
Let us know any updates that you hear there with CPB. Us Dodge Diesel guys a truly a dangerous lot!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by hipsi
I would be scared to drive to Mexico.. it seems as if there are no laws.
You're in Canada; how much fuel would you need to bring back to make it worthwhile?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
License,registration and insurance?

I'm a San Diego resident and also have never seen so many Mex. plates. I must relate a very satisfying situation that occurs frequently in the area I work(which shall remain anonymous for fear of Mecha). San Diego motorcycle cops station themselves at a four way stop which frequently is run by local residents. They politly pull the violator over and ask the routine,"License,registration and proof of insurance please?" Guess what? They possess nothing of the sort! Result: flatbed pulls up within I swear,seconds,and the vehicle is impounded and the occupants are walking home. Ya gotta love it! The irony of the situation is none of this happens when they are displaying Mex. plates. Thus the proliference of Mex. plates. Sucks bigtime. FYI,my legal Hispanic co-workers strongly support this action by the police.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Same thing in Riverside. I think it's because Riverside is a "sanctuary city" or some such. Unless the dude's committed a felony, the officer doesn't check on or enforce the person's immigration status.
Maybe one of the resident LEOs can enlighten us- why don't Mexican-tagged cars seem to get towed/impounded when there's no registration or proof of insurance? I ask with a non-combative spirit in honest curiosity.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 AM

Mexican Fuel Update

Here is some dialog that I have had with CPB

CPB
Believe it or not, but guidance should be going out to our ports by the end of this week. And the guidance will most likely state that as long as the diesel fuel will not be used for commercial purposes, it can be entered through San Ysidro. If the officer suspects that the fuel will be used for commercial purposes, then the officer has the right to prevent the fuel from entering through our vehicle lanes and the individual will be referred to Otay Mesa to make a commercial entry. So, based on how your truck was set up, you would be allowed to bring the diesel fuel back as long as you can justify it is not for commercial use or that you plan on selling the fuel.

My question was
And how would one know if there truck was ok or not.
the guy at the sentri said it would be ok for today. tomorrow no guarantee?

CBP
The guidance I provide will be for all the CA ports of entry. I can not speak for AZ or TX. The bottom line is if you are bring back fuel for non-commercial use, you will be okay. If you bring back 150 gallons of diesel fuel and the purpose is to sell it in the US, then you will have to make a commercial entry. If you bring 150 gallons of diesel fuel to use for your truck or another one of your vehicles, then there will be no issue.

ME
So what you are saying ( today) is that if I were to bring back fuel in 5 gallon containers then it would be ok if I said it was for my use not business
or if I were to bring 150 gallons and had a nozzle to pump off to my other diesel truck at home would be ok as it stands today?

CBP
Yes, as long as it is not for commercial use.

that is the word as of today
Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM

SD-
That is certainly great news! I guess you will continue to use 55/30 gal drums, as well as 5 gal jugs?
Please keep us posted.
I susepct that if that is how CA does it the rest will be, perhaps, more lenient.
I guess the 110 gallons that I have read about does not matter?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:13 PM

I HATE kommiefornia sooo much. If it wasnt for that useless state and the dirty hippies that run it, we as diesel truck owners wouldnt have half the headaches. ULSD, CARB, DPF, blah blah blah, its ALL garbage. The worst part is they are migrating east, trying to change my state. Theres lots of open land and mineshafts here. Be a long time 'for anyone finds em...
People need to get out and vote...
from the rooftops.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skidooman
I HATE kommiefornia sooo much. If it wasnt for that useless state and the dirty hippies that run it, we as diesel truck owners wouldnt have half the headaches. ULSD, CARB, DPF, blah blah blah, its ALL garbage. The worst part is they are migrating east, trying to change my state. Theres lots of open land and mineshafts here. Be a long time 'for anyone finds em...
People need to get out and vote...
from the rooftops.
Sorry about your attitude, dude. You are in dire need of a shrink.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
and why's that?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
But SKIDOOMAN is right! The rest of the country pays for the silly laws that CA puts in place (not all but many). Some are good, some are bad, all are costly.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:40 PM

Well they are not dirty hippies, they are wealthy yuppies wannabe tree huggers that have to much time and money. They keep themselves busy by running for office and claiming to want to save the planet and I guess they are starting where it is most convient for them. Blanket assumptions of many due to the actions of a few sounds to me to be a little misguided and immature. Although I must agree that there are too many laws (I myself would like to carry my piece in my truck and legally own an AR or AK but I can't). So instead of dwelling on what I can't do, I spend my energy on what I can do. But, "to each his own"