Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Pex tubing & chemical resistance ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pex tubing & chemical resistance ?

I am trying to nail down a flex tubing to use in building a processor for bio diesel , needs to resist the vegi oil , methanol , lye and maybe acid .
I am getting some info about as many as 6 or types of Pex tubing .
But know body at any of the hardware stores know about much , also once I find out what kind for sure , where to get ?
Thanks John
Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 PM

Lowes, Homedepot, Menards.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 PM

i would find a local plumbing supply store. They would have the best knowledege of what your looking for and are more likley to have it in stock that any general hardware store
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM

You guys missed the boat by a mile , I said I had been to a hardware store [ a pros store ] , and a few others , they do not know much beyond general house hold use .
Thanks anyways John
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
I am trying to nail down a flex tubing to use in building a processor for bio diesel , needs to resist the vegi oil , methanol , lye and maybe acid .
I am getting some info about as many as 6 or types of Pex tubing .
But know body at any of the hardware stores know about much , also once I find out what kind for sure , where to get ?
Thanks John
Try asking here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

Best site I have found for anything bio related. Hoses and tubing when making bio take a beating. Think of the hoses as regular maintenance items. They will not last forever.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM

I go there a lot , there answers are all over the place , works / doesn't work , with no links to there opinions .
I am not on either side of the right / left political world , but that site leans heavily to the left , and the left does not seem to go by science / facts , but what they believe [ thats the right also ] .
When I go to the bar , the only things I talk about are religion & politics , aways stirring the pot .
But thanks .
Old 05-06-2008, 11:41 AM

i've used pex with veg oil, diesel, gasoline, used motor oil and anti freeze. no leaks or signs of deteriation yet...1 year of use.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:29 PM

With making bio , the chemicals that are used are much harsher , methanol & lye .
Old 05-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
also once I find out what kind for sure , where to get ?
Thanks John
Lowes, Homedepot, Menards.

I'm not sure how I missed it by a mile, I just was able to answer part of your questions.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 PM

John, have you tried McMaster-Carr? They carry all kinds of tubing and hose. I've ordered Teflon(PTFE) and Viton B tubing from them. Check with their sales people - you might find someone who knows something.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If you are thinking PEX pipe, I have been using pex for about 4 years on my boiler drain. The problem is not the PEX pipe but the connections. They get eaten away by the acid in the condensate from the two drains. The connectors for pex are just brass and don't last a year. I have tried looking for stainless but no one seemed to carry what I wanted. I have since switched to one continuous piece of pex for each drain and no connections at all. Home Depot carries 1/2 and 3/4 inch inside dia PEX.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been using PEX in radiant systems for many years.

The main thing to watch out for is chlorine over 4 PPM, exposure to sunlight for extended periods and temps that are too high. If is sees occasional sun and it's not under pressure you might be ok, but use barrier PEX for better protection. The "barrier" prevents oxygen permeation through the tube wall but also helps with UV degredation. Pressure and temp ratings are 180 degrees F at 100 PSI.

It dosen't seem to be rated for contact with oil but it is what gas cans and natural gas piping are made of. Maybe a slightly different formula.

If you expose it to high temps occasionally and it has any pressure it may soften enough to let go. No steam or superheated oil for any length of time or with any pressure. No chlorinators that may give it a high dose.

I don't recommend plastic fittings, but if the pressure is low and you find some that are really good, they might be OK and best for keeping chemicals away from metal. I've seen some glass filled ones that seem OK, but I've also seen some I would not trust.

For more information go to www.zurn.com

John
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM

It seems that most replies are not relating directly to the specs of use , the oil being waste vegi oil , the chemicals being 20% by volume of methanol & 1% lye , added info is pressure not over 100 psi , heat should not go over 180*F , but typical temp about 145*F .
This all for building a bio diesel processor .
Thanks guys .
Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
John,

If you want the final word go to the Zurn website or other manufacturers sites. You'll always get more detailed info there than from those of us that use it but may not know much about you're particular situation.

Or just try it and see. It should work just fine for the parameters you describle. What else can be said?

John
Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM

I've been to several of the different manufactures sites , hard to find info on specific use that I am referring to , being that it may be a new use for a moderately [ 20 yrs ] new product , and I am in the bio-diesel forum , I thought that I may find some info here , maybe someone has done used it for this purpose .