Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Peanu oil, waste motor, and others as addatives in #2 and Bio???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:54 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Peanut oil, waste motor, and others as addatives in #2 and Bio???

Is it possible to dilute wvo, peanut oil, or wmo (filtered only)into regular #2 ULSD or B-20 or above as an additive for savings or lubricity benefits? would it even be worth it? Can synthetic motor oil be mixed in? Do any of these readily mix with currently available fuels? What are the pro's and con's??????????????
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that cummins alows up to 5% waste motor oil. I have also heard that synthetic oil doesnt burn as nice as reg. oil.

I would not recomend adding any WVO with out a proper system to run on it. Esp. the penut oil as it has a high cloud point, like 50 degrees. The problem with the veg. oil is it is going to set and thicken in your lines when you shut down.

If you have a good source for the WVO and drive long distance then look into a two tank system and run the oil that way. or just process it into quality biodiesel.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taterfarm
I have heard that cummins alows up to 5% waste motor oil. I have also heard that synthetic oil doesnt burn as nice as reg. oil.

I would not recomend adding any WVO with out a proper system to run on it. Esp. the penut oil as it has a high cloud point, like 50 degrees. The problem with the veg. oil is it is going to set and thicken in your lines when you shut down.

If you have a good source for the WVO and drive long distance then look into a two tank system and run the oil that way. or just process it into quality biodiesel.

So the WVO wont dillute into the #2 ULSD?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure if it would stay mixxed or not.

According to Wiliam Kemp in his book Biodiesel Basics and Beyond (good book, I would recommend it)he talks about the use of WVO and the requirements to run it, he states "either the fuel must be adapted to the engine or vice versa" Also "Numerous reports have shown that blended plant oil and diesel fuel will cause lubricating dilution, resulting in thickening and sludge formation, piston ring damage due to excessive carbon deposits, and fuel injector varnishing." I believe his source is the Iowa State University Department of Mechanical Engineering.

I would say try it in an oil furnace or other heater, something that is a little easier to pull the injectors to inspect or replace.

I would not recomend adding it to your truck, even though it may be fine for a many thousands of miles.