Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

New Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel

I just received this in a newsletter from Cummins, (see the link below). I wonder what you guys make of it. Other than the stated loss of fuel efficiency, do you think it will have a detrimental affect on or Injector Pumps? Lubricity, Longevity? Do you think it will make it absolutely necessary to use additivies?

http://list.priceweber.com/cummins/td/ulsd.html
Old 08-08-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run Stanadyne already and called them to see if they were modifying their addative for ULSD. They said they were not, but that when california went to ULSD the number of pump rebuilds in that area tripled. They are also selling ALOT more of the strait lubricity additive. The party line is that the ULSD won't hurt your truck........
Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 PM

Engine oil effected too

I saw that the other day and noticed...

"A new CI-4 engine oil is being introduced, with a new formulation designed specifically to work with ULSD fuel. If you run with a pre-2007 engine oil (such as CH-4) and ULSD fuel, you will have to modify your oil change schedule."
Old 08-08-2006, 06:20 PM

why is there a need for a different oil with ULSD?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 6speedcowboy
why is there a need for a different oil with ULSD?
I would like to know the answer to that too. It may have something to do with the soot suspension properties in the oil. I use Delo now but I guess I'll have to see if it meets the new specs or if I have to switch to something else. My son is a tech at a Dodge dealer, maybe he can hook me up with some more info from their heavy line mechanic.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The CI-4 oil has been around long before ULSD. My bet is most of us have been using it for years. CI-4 was designed to hold more soot that the common rail engines produce.
If anything using CI-4 will extend your oil change intervals.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM

It says CI-4 not CH-4 .... abcdefg... H then I
its the new formula, I too assume for soot suspension
Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My question is;

Do we now have to use MORE lubricity additive that the norm??? Than we were originally using?

I always use Lucas, because I've not found a supplier for stanadyne, all the truck stops seem to have Lucas and NOT stanadyne. And that's where I get my fuel, either Flying J or Love's.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ceaman
It says CI-4 not CH-4 .... abcdefg... H then I
its the new formula, I too assume for soot suspension
My bad, just a typo.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just add a couple gallons of burnt motor oil to your tank & you will notice a better running motor because of the lubricosity of the oil. I am running a 25 %
mix of burnt oil & 75% red or off-road fuel. Sure I am an outlaw, but it works & saves me currently 60 bucks or so a fill up between my truck & transfer tank. If nothing else go to Walmart & buy a gallon of the cheapest 2 stroke oil, Walmart brand & pour that in your tank. It works very well.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't thinkl there was a whole lot evidence to support the statement that low sulphur fuels did not "run good".

I thought the lubricity thing always had to do with the VP44 and nothing else.

Are there old 12v motors going to hell because of low sulphur???
Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 PM

I have a bottle of Delo and Rotella in the garage and both of them have CI-4 ratings already on them. I bet they are not the only ones...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silverjay
I have a bottle of Delo and Rotella in the garage and both of them have CI-4 ratings already on them. I bet they are not the only ones...
Like I said before the CI-4 oil came out with the introduction of more common rail engines. Delo has been rated CI-4 for at least four years.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:28 PM

I hadn't realized that. Panic subsiding over the 4 cases of Delo in garage...
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked to a friend of mine in McDonough, GA yesterday that does a lot of Diesel Performance work. He said just in the last week alone he has seen numerous vehicles dying from the ULSD. He mentioned to me a fleet of about 55 buses I think it was, that is leaking diesel on everyone, after they took their first delivery of ULSD> He said there have been numerous people call him about problems with their injection pumps after running their first tank of ULSD. All makes & models he said. This really should be a concern. I will definetly continue to burn waste oil mixed in my diesel. It seems the common problem among all of these vehicles is pump seals leaking, based on what he said. Some of you probably know who am referring to, so you know his reputation & can definetly respect his findings & opinions.

Quick Reply: New Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel