Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Needs suggestions on pump to transfer WVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needs suggestions on pump to transfer WVO

I need a pump to empty 55 gal drums full of WVO for restraunt WVO collection. I'd like to use the pump to filter used motor oil also. I've looked around on Grainger and Northern tool and haven't found any that are in my price range <$100.

I don't care what the pumps intended purpose was, if it will move liquid oil then it will work. I'm even thinking about hooking up a motor to an old hand pump. I'd like a pump that will move at least 100GPH so I'm not waiting an hour for the oil transfer.

Any suggestions on where to find something like this used?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 PM

I found this, think it will work?

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UI...&catname=water
Old 09-25-2006, 07:42 PM

granger sells a little giant self priming 12vdc or 110 ac under $50 also they sell a dayton barrel pump that will work arround $50 as well. i prefer the hand pump no need for power
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pumps intended purpose DOES matter, since they use different methods to pump the design fluid; piston, diaphragm, gear, screw, entrainment, etc.

Pick a pump that pumps a fluid similiar to WVO. If you can get a pump from a fryer oil filter/changer, that'd work great for a long time. FYI - it's the gerotor type...
Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Go to the junk yard and pull a power steering pump off of any kind of rig.
Rig it to run off a gas or electric motor, belt drive or direct.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Go to the junk yard and pull a power steering pump off of any kind of rig.
Rig it to run off a gas or electric motor, belt drive or direct.
That's exactly the info I was looking for. thanks.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good call infidel, I was thinking about doing this, but I didn't even think about a power steering pump. now where can we get a good electric motor to turn it? The only thing I can think of from the JY is a heater blower motor. That might be a little bit low on the HP for this app though. it would get pretty hot.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:48 AM

Well, since you're trying to cobble something together from materials at hand - in this case JY parts, try this:

mount a 12V starter on a plate/bracket that holds a flywheel on a couple of bearings, mount the biggest pulley you can find on the flywhweel and the smallest one you can find on the PS pump, which is mounted to the same plate/bracket assembly.

Connect to 12V battery power, engage starter (which will operate at VERY low load) to spin flywheel, which (with it's pulley) will turn the pump at 1K-3K RPM, depending on your pulley selection. When you disengage the starter, the flywheel will continue to operate the PS pump, length of time which depends on the viscosity of the waste oil. You probably won't get into the starter motor's duty cycle at those load levels.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Think you'll need at least a 1 hp electric motor. Source I see quite often in the give away section of my local newspaper is broken down air compressors. Most often the motors are good.

Personally I'd go with a gas engine. Once again my give away section aways has a bunch of lawn mowers for free.

An other thing that might work is the motor and pump from a washing machine.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 PM

I have access to a bunch of old blower motors. I don't what they're rated at but I'll find out.

I've also thought about using an oil pump off a chevy v8. they are gear pumps and can handle any crap that gets sucked into them. i just have to figure out how to mate pump and motor...oh wait, I have a welder
Old 10-04-2006, 04:24 PM

You could get a bicycle or similar and hook it up to your pump. The you could get a work out and save money.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:48 AM

yeah, the bicycle idea isn't exactly what I was looking for. that would look pretty funny. I just want to be able to hard mount a small pump in my bed, and fill a in bed tank. just uncoil the hose, drop it in the oil dumpster, and start the pump. a couple of minutes later, pull the hose out, let it suck the rest of the oil from the hose, and be done with it. I remember when I was a little kid, my grandpa set up a power supply, and some electric motors and belts and other cool stuff to play with. it kept me entertained, but I remember that the motors were all 12v, and there were some that were a lot larger than the others. I am thinking out loud so to speak now. I could take a big fuel pump from a detroit diesel that I have laying around, and use two pulleys on two fan motors to drive the one fuel pump. that would give it continuous duty, use readily available parts, except the pulleys that I can make on the metal lathe at work. I just remembered that I used to run two of the fan motors in tandem, with an erector set propeller that was made of steel. I would get that thing spinning so fast, that it almost got that 20 lb board airborne. that would be kind of dangerous looking back on it. glad I still have all of my fingers. HMMM, erector set......... another useful tool for experimenting that I never though about. thanks for reminding me guys.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:12 PM

i love erector sets and legos, just reading i like the power stering pump idea but would it have to be primed or would it self prime
Old 11-01-2006, 08:21 PM

Good point - I wonder at that viscosity... ?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 PM

I have a Harbor frieght water pump with a 5hp gas engine. Cost was around 200 on sale. Works great! At just above an idle I can fill a 55 gallon drum in about a minute or so. I have been there done that with all those electric pump and what not. I can fill up 2 55gal drums at 2 different places and be on my way back home in about 50 minutes. Its all alot of trial and error. What works for me may not work for others. The biggest problem with the gas powered pump is the noise. you can't do really late night pick ups when the nieghbors are sleeping.