Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

MUST READ Web site - Tips for improving MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
isn't Diesel Service Power Kleen about the same as acetone?

it melts most plastics, and will almost strip paint (ask me how i know...)
I doubt it, but one never knows. I think if it was with all the talk about acetone the last few months some one who knew for sure would have already mentioned it. So I doubt it, lots of things will soften paint.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:27 PM

I tried the acetone this weekend at a ratio of 6oz per 35gal. My fuel mileage went to pot as soon as the acetone made it up to my engine. I normally get around 21 when I stay at around 65. I got a whopping 17 mpg hand and computer calcuated. I filled up when I still had around a half a tank hoping to get a little better mileage. My mileage almost immediately went up to around 20.5mpg at around 65 mph. Not sure if 6oz per 35gal is to much and 3 oz is the correct amount. The website said put in around 2oz per 10 gallons. Since I still had a half a tank when I filled up I am assuming I still had 3 oz of acetone in there if it was mixed evenly in the tank. I may try it again the next time I go on a long trip and see if when I put 3 oz in the tank if it reacts better. As for now I am not conviced this works, especially not in the ratio's they quote.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Banned

mkelly - where do you live? I am not positive, but it sure seems like Thursday (12/1) when I refueled, I must have got my first batch of winter fuel. I'm in Montgomery, AL. I don't know if its got below freezing at night here yet, but its getting as cold as it gets, so I guess they decided to start with winter fuel recently.

I could tell immediately by my overhead that my fuel mileage was down.

I'm wondering if you might have fueled at a place with winter fuel at the same time you added the acetone, and had summer fuel before? If you're up north, I'd say you've been on winter fuel for a while now.

- JyRO
Old 12-03-2005, 12:42 PM

Anybody tried white gas aka camping stove fluid? I have used it to liven up old gasoline left in R.V's etc.
I am in London Uk right now and none of the diesels here blow smoke or smell [low sulphur] But did'nt I read that the sulphur producing substance also lubed the seal and rings etc I recall on the first time they lowered that content everbodys injector pump started leaking and people put ATF in the tank .Have all these problems been resolved?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by JyRO
mkelly - where do you live? I am not positive, but it sure seems like Thursday (12/1) when I refueled, I must have got my first batch of winter fuel. I'm in Montgomery, AL. I don't know if its got below freezing at night here yet, but its getting as cold as it gets, so I guess they decided to start with winter fuel recently.

I could tell immediately by my overhead that my fuel mileage was down.

I'm wondering if you might have fueled at a place with winter fuel at the same time you added the acetone, and had summer fuel before? If you're up north, I'd say you've been on winter fuel for a while now.

- JyRO
Jyro

I am just east of Houston in Texas. It isn't getting that could right now. We have gotten down in the upper 30's a coulple of times. When I filled up on my way home during my trip I started getting a lot better fuel mileage almost as soon as I pulled out of the filling station. Not sure about winter blend. This is the first diesel I have owned and have only had it for about 3 months. How do you know which diesel you have? Do you just have to ask the store clerk (if they are smart enough to know what you are talking about)? Have you tried acetone before and did it work(difference in mpg)?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mkelly9779
How do you know which diesel you have? Do you just have to ask the store clerk (if they are smart enough to know what you are talking about)?
The store clerk most likely barely knows his way home let alone what he's selling. Best bet is to ask the owner or the tank truck driver delivering fuel.
#1/#2 blend is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, most stations now use straight #2 plus additive. This will increase your mpgs rather than reduce them. Many other factors reduce winter mpgs such as insufficient warm-ups, extended idling and slower driving on slick roads.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:20 PM

I remember a while back reading up on this acetone additive . I seems i remember reading that two much in the mix would in fact cause a loss in mileage.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Lets see, acording to what I remember from thermo, the greater the temperature change, the more work done in that cycle. so if your bringing in 200 degree air and raising the temperature to 1000 degrees, your doing less work than using 50 degree air and raising the temperature to 1000 degrees.
The warm air keeps the carb from freezing over. It must work, my truck has never done this!!! In fact, I can't even find the dang thing!!! LOL!!

Seriously, colder air is better anytime.
They are selling something.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mkelly9779
Jyro

I am just east of Houston in Texas. It isn't getting that could right now. We have gotten down in the upper 30's a coulple of times. When I filled up on my way home during my trip I started getting a lot better fuel mileage almost as soon as I pulled out of the filling station. Not sure about winter blend. This is the first diesel I have owned and have only had it for about 3 months. How do you know which diesel you have? Do you just have to ask the store clerk (if they are smart enough to know what you are talking about)? Have you tried acetone before and did it work(difference in mpg)?
mkelly - The only way I ever know is my fuel mileage goes down about 1 to 2 mpg. Even though the overhead isn't exactly accurate, it is relevant, and I can tell quickly that I have winter fuel. Well, let me re-phrase that. If I go from a tank with summer fuel and run it way down, and add 30+ gallons of winter blend, I can tell quickly on the overhead. If I were to fill half a tank of summer with half a tank of winter, I may not notice it on the overhead.

But yeah, the rocket scientists inside the station probably don't even know winter blend exists. I shouldn't make fun of them. In their defense, they probably have no reason to know. I hadn't heard that #1 was not really being used anymore. Even if #1 is not technically being used anymore, there will be some winter blend, and it will be un-officially called #1. But basically #2 summer blend fuel has a higher tendency to 'gell' in cold climates than #1. Due to the 'anit-gel' additives in #1, it has less btu's, provides less power & thus less mpg's. I'm probably wrong on most of that though.

- JyRO
Old 12-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Acetone ratio

It's a got to be mixed at the right ratio. You should never mix acetone more then 2 oz per 10 gallons gas and closer to 1 oz for diesel. Any more concentration then that and the gpm goes down again. If you getting bad results cut back on the concentration. I also heard certain additives in the fuel can block or degrade the results of the acetone.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
Old 01-21-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
It says right in the article not to use acetone with plastic. Our fuel tanks are plastic remember?

I'm gonna sit out this one until we have solid evidence of compatability.
I believe the way it read was "don't use acetone with clear plastic." There were several plastic items mentioned that are acceptable.

I have not tried it yet, but I think the key is that 3 oz of acetone to 10 gal of diesel fuel proved to do NO damage to any parts, plastic or otherwise.

I will give it a try some time and will report back!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used acetone in my car. the best ratio is 3 oz per 10 gal. I gained about 1.5 mpg. haven't tried it in the diesel yet, but the ratio is different for deisel fuel.

Cold air makes POWER not economy....warm air will stretch the fuel out for better mpg.

You need so many oxygen molecules to burn a given amount of fuel molecules. if the air is cold, you will have more molecules per unit volume, so it will take more fuel to burn it. if the air is warm, you will have less molecules of air per unit volume, and it will take less fuel to burn it.

Like I said, cold air makes power, thats why so many block off the exhaust crossover on a gasser intake...for POWER, not for economy.

we have intercoolers to cool the air to make POWER to pull the load, NOT for economy.