Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

mixing WVO and filter questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mixing WVO and filter questions?

Got 3 questions:

1) How many guys run WVO in their primary tank mixing w/ #2?

2) What kind of mixture percentage do you run?

3) What kind of filters are you using to filter out the crud? Are they a water seperator too?

Thanks for the help...

Jake
Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Bump

I'd kinda been lookin into this and had the same ?'s

Mainly if simply running the WVO through a standard fuel/water seperator get enough water out of it to be runable(after being ran through another say 1-5 micron fuel filter)
Old 06-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If the WVO is dry to begin with you are starting out ahead. When I make BD I prefer dry WVO to start. If it has water in it you will notice it is cloudy, not semi-transparent, looking like what you see in the grocery store, albeit a bit darker in color.
The big key to running WVO, as I understand it, it filter, filter, filter, and more filter. Not that you need 5 filters on the truck, but you need to filter the heck out of it before it goes into your tank.
I don't know what a good mix number is since I convert my WVO to BD before I run it. Too large a mix and you'll have difficulty starting the engine, which is why vehicles that run on 100% WVO have duel fuel systems, one with petro diesel to get the engine started and one with WVO for running the engine after starting.
Also, keep in mind that the newer fuel systems (read injection systems) are more tempermental about fuel and have less tolerance for running WVO. If you have a 12 valve, or older, you can put pretty much anything that will burn in the tank and that engine will take it.

Chris
Old 06-13-2007, 10:05 AM

DO NOT MIX WVO UNLESS YOU HEAT IT!!!!

You will seriously coke injecotrs, and possibly damage your pump if you run WVO in any percentage mixed with #2. Even in a 5% mix it will still coke injectors unless it is well heated to over 165*F. You should also check the acidity or pH of the WVO, if its less than about 6.7-6.5 pH you need to nuetralize it, otherwise the acid will corrode the high carbon steel used in your injector pump, not a good thing. If you heat all the fuel, diesel and WVO you can run it safely, but remember your startups, you'll coke injectors there, and if the oil cools before it reaches the injectors your screwed as well. You can do it, just be really careful.