Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Mixing WVO

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/home/home.asp

Found this set-up during search for homemade biodiesel methodology
Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 AM

I dont see why a single tank diesel/WVO mix would be so scary. As long as your WVO is filtered and dried properly and the outside temps dont gel the WVO, it is no different than running a two tank system. The purpose of using the two tanks is so that you can eliminate the chances of engine internals gelling with WVO by starting on diesel and killing on diesel. That keeps the WVO out of the fuel system when it cools. If anyone has any more specific info on why not to use a single tank system in a warm climate, please let me know.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Easy enough to mix up a percentage of WVO and #2 in a glass jar and see what it does as far as settling out or turning cloudy.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 AM

If the WVO has been filtered and dried, what does the cloudiness indicate if it occurs in a jar?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Txwelder
If the WVO has been filtered and dried, what does the cloudiness indicate if it occurs in a jar?
That the WVO isn't fully mixing with the #2. The #2 should basically "melt" the WVO but will only do it up to a certain percentage of WVO.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:31 AM

I understand now, the diesel can only break down so much WVO before they start to separate and the diesel loses its "breaking down" abililty.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toyhaulersdream
http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/home/home.asp

Found this set-up during search for homemade biodiesel methodology
They're claiming 70cents a gallon to make. ......BS
It cost at least twice that to make biodiesel.
With the price of methanol climbing, methanol hydroxide is your main cost.
Include labor/filters and the fuel you use to go get all the WVO, it wasn't really saving me that much.
I know, I know, it's not just about saving money.
But makng biodiesel is really misconcieved. Not to metion a really dirty and potentially dangerous process.
You can buy it anywhere here for about 2.30-2.50 a gallon. B20 to B99 if I feel like going to Alternative fuels.
I'd do some homework before you make that investment.
....Just wait til the government wants their share.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 PM

.76cts a gal to make mine
Old 12-25-2006, 09:57 PM

This is my first post actually to this forum. I have a 93 dodge 1ton which I just converted to a two tank wvo setup. I am in Tucson, Az and since you are in Texas I feel that our climates are perfect to be using wvo. But the Two tank set up is the best way to go I feel. You don't just have to worry about the fuel delivery lines gelling on cool down the purge cycle is a very important feature of the two tank setup. If you shut down your hot engine on wvo the injectors have sprayed the combustionchamber, piston tops and ring lands with wvo that can "coke over" and glaze these areas eventually leading to combustion seal problems and high carbon build up. It would be similar to taking a very hot frying pan and pouring oil on the surface and letting it cool off. It will smoke and and leave a shiny burnt glaze on the pans surface. The purge cycle on the two tank setup ensures that you have 1) allowed the engine to cool of some before shut down especially with turbo motors and 2) have evacuated all of the wvo from the fuel delivery lines AND the combustion chambers. I pieced my system together for about $700 and it is more complete and has more features than any of the conversion kits available. Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Methanol cost me 225$ delivered not long ago, but I hear the price is expected to drop again.
A gallon of fuel costs like 1.50 in chemicals to make with that high priced methanol.. almost killing off the cost incentive to run bio.
If you run a single tank WVO system and you gum it up with bad oil and the gunk that inevitably settles out of it, you might just leave yourself stranded someday.