Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Mixing WVO

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixing WVO

How much WVO can you filter and dump in the tank and still be safe? I have an opportunity to collect a steady 30-35 gallons of WVO a week but I dont have a way to refine it nor do I have a conversion kit for my truck. I have mixed about 3 gallons at a time of filtered WVO directly into my tank with no problems, just wonder how much is too much? Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 06:19 AM

So nobody is using vegetable oil in a single tank mixed with diesel as opposed to having a dual tank set up?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey txwelder, after seeing what you did with that bumper, I would have figured that you could make an in-bed tank. I have been doing some research on this, and a two tank setup would be pretty easy to make work. All you need is a tank, and some parts from a farm and ranch store.

If you insist on doing it in one tank, how much you can get away with depends on how well you filter and separate the oil before it gets to your tank, and the lowest temperature you expect to see. You could go 50/50 with some warm temperatures, and well filtered oil. when you filter the oil well, it will have a tendancy to coalesce the water into larger droplets that will drop out of the misture. if you have a big filter with a water drain, and warm temperatures, you will be all right at 50/50. That is kind of pushing it, and you don't want to go any more than that without a system that will preheat the fuel, and heat the tank.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:28 AM

Nice bumper by the way, I still think you should have cut the vent holes in it. it looks pretty clean your way though too.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 AM

I actually did build an aux tank with a side mounted transfer pump, but I sold it because I want to get stacks and didnt think I would have much bed room left with the stacks and a 47 gal tank. Thanks for the compliments on the bumper. I have since added more pieces, I am finishing the paint this weekend, as well as painting the truck. I will post some pictures when I get done. Alot of people have asked why I didnt add lights or a winch, and honestly I dont know why, I just didnt.

I really want to use the single tank method, or save cash and buy the whole system that comes with the wash tank and pumps and all to make bio. I was just wondering if anyone was mixing in the tank and what results they were having.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 PM

I dont think Id want to run single tank with a WVO mix. Maybe if you had the room to store barrels of it so it can settle out over a few weeks and filter it a few times. Try that hot pan test to see how much water is in the oil, it shouldnt pop.
I installed two coolant heated 12gallon tanks under the bedsides with a vormax filter and heated fuel lines back and forth from the engine compartment.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:50 PM

I have mixed up to 8 gallons of WVO to a tank. My tank is 30 gallons. I let the WVO settle out for about a week then pump off the top. Has to be pretty clear. Cloudy oil is something to avoid. I pour it in and then fill the tank on top. Did this on my trip out to NY from chicago this summer with no troubles. Also I only mix in the summer. once the temps get below 50 I use straight diesel/kero/jet-a. I have burned about 50-75 gallons of wvo since June. There are some people on here that say they are running 80% in the tank. Down in the warmer climates you can get away with that.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 AM

So lets say I filter my oil down to 5 microns through a fuel water seperator. After that I re-heat the oil in a cook pot, enough to make the oil start to smoke, would that be an indication that the moisture in the oil is "cooking off"? Can you boil the water out of the oil? I would think after that you could mix it at leisure with diesel as long as it is warm enough out not to gel up.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 AM

yes, you can boil water out. it just takes time.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 PM

how is the performance in comparison to #2?
also does mileage go up or down?

how do you boil 55 gallons?

it never goes below 80 degrees here, ever. can I run 80% WVO and 20% diesel?

how will it run on 100% WVO?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:30 PM

When you ask about running on 100% WVO, I would say yes. Think of a two tank system, the truck is running on 100% WVO, just not starting or being killed on WVO. I wouldnt think it would hurt anything as long as the temps are right. I wonder if there are starting issues with pure WVO?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Single tank system is scary.. Id go with a dual tank setup.
Theres enough space under the bed for a couple tanks on the sides, and one large one where the spare sits.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD

as for boiling 55gal, i would say to use a BIG deep fryer. a restaurant in your area may have an old one they'd sell ya
Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD

Here is a setup that I found on you tube. Seems to be a pretty nice de-watering setup.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hGT6VAFOFE

sorry here is the link

Quick Reply: Mixing WVO