Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Just completed my first batch of Biodiesel w/picture

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just completed my first batch of Biodiesel w/picture

Well, just completed my first test batch. I have good separation. The picture is about an hour removed from taking it off the stir plate.
Attached Thumbnails Just completed my first batch of Biodiesel w/picture-biod-002.jpg  
Old 03-09-2007, 08:30 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool.

I like Propel fitness water too.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by P.J
Cool.

I like Propel fitness water too.
That's a Samuel Adams thats gone flat. Just kidding Arkapigdiesel how long did it take make that batch, I really no nothing of the process have not got that interested yet I guess.

Tony
Old 03-10-2007, 09:32 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Tony T.
That's a Samuel Adams thats gone flat. Just kidding Arkapigdiesel how long did it take make that batch, I really no nothing of the process have not got that interested yet I guess.

Tony
Once you figure out the titration process, it's easy. I'm still in the beginning, but I made another batch today and it only took around 20-25 minutes to get everything ready to go and measured out.

Once everything is measured out and mixed, it takes about an hour for everything to be stirred together and allowed to "cook". I have a lab hot plate/stirrer that does all the work for me.

When everything is measured out correctly, I put my concoction in a sealed glass jar and make sure that the temp. is regulated in the 130-140 degree range, put my magnetic stir bar in, and put the glass jar on the hot plate and turn my stir adjustment up high. Nothing to it.

The hard part is making sure your titration is done correctly. It's hard to beat 85 cents per gallon and having a fuel that lubricates and cleans like crazy. Not to mention you aren't supporting the edit overseas.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Are you going to run that in your '06?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
Are you going to run that in your '06?
Eventually. I still have additional equipment to purchase before I do so. Main thing is a Tuthill pump w/2 micron filtration system.

Keep in mind, that the sample you see above is the Biodiesel in crude form. There are still 3 wash phases and a drying phase that goes on.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Are you going to make a full scale processor? I have been researching a new style of processor that is virtually hands-free, and primarilly a sealed system. I like the Appleseed design, as well as the Freedom Fueler style, and am working on a combnation of both.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:41 PM

Looks good, just gotta wash it and then dry it. Good luck with it, it can be addicting. KD
Old 05-13-2007, 08:03 PM

id like to see pictures of your washer and dryer. i have my appleseed put together but am not real clear on the best way for me to build washer/dryer for cheap. well...mainly the dryer.....i have an idea for my wash tank.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by nate007
Are you going to make a full scale processor? I have been researching a new style of processor that is virtually hands-free, and primarilly a sealed system. I like the Appleseed design, as well as the Freedom Fueler style, and am working on a combnation of both.

Anyone who attempts to make biodiesel in a plastic tank is being foolish.

While it is ok to wash and dry in a plastic tank, it is not safe to react biodiesel in one.

Think about it.. Hot oil + Caustic Chemicals + Explosive Methanol + a plastic tank just isnt a smart idea.

The companies who sell these plastic processors are taking advantage of unexperienced people.

ALWAYS USE A STEEL REACTOR..

Here is what happens to plastic biodiesel reactors:
Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
id like to see pictures of your washer and dryer. i have my appleseed put together but am not real clear on the best way for me to build washer/dryer for cheap. well...mainly the dryer.....i have an idea for my wash tank.
The principle behind drying biodiesel is to remove the water.

The fastest way to accomplish this is to warm the fuel and spray it through the air.. The water will vaporize out of the fuel just like the mirror in your bathroom when you take a hot shower.

The fuel does NOT need to be hot.. just warm to around 100 degF. If you spray 2 or 3 gallons per minute, a 60 gallon batch will dry in about an hour.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I dry my BD with a coil of copper line around the bottom of the wash tank. IT blows air through the BD and dries it. Probably not as quick as spraying the BD, but I don't get BD sprayed all over the place.
To make it I bought 1/4" copper tubing, capped on end, and drilled the smallest holes I had a bit for in the tubing, I drilled them about every 6 inches, I think. Hooked it up to a fish tank areator pump. The original plan was to have to blow small bubbles to wach the BD but the holes ended up being too big for that. Works great for drying the BD though. I usually leave it overnight but have had it dry 35 gallons in as little as 2 hours.

Chris