Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Jet Fuel ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Fuel ?

I work at a remote location at an airport that we have plenty of Jet A, but Diesel #2 is hard to find. Has anyone run Jet A with favorable results? I plan on sending an email to Cummins to see if they have any thoughts.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you run jet fuel or kerosene, you need to run a lubricity additive. That's probably what Cummins will tell you as well. I like Stanadyne's stuff, there are other brands. Make sure the additive's main claim is that it increases lubricity. You don't need to lower the cloud point or reduce smoke with Jet A or K-1.

edited to add: You will probably notice reduced power and fuel economy, but you won't hurt anything as long as you run a good lubricity additive.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the book says you have to add 5% or 10% lubricity additive. That is a lot.

Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 01:24 PM

Sir Kaos- Let us know how this works out for you...

Back in the day, I fueled up a military deuce and a half truck with a Multifuel engine in it with Jet A and killed that engine. darn near got courtmartialed for it, too.

Don't know if I'd want to run Jet A in my Cummins baby....
Old 02-09-2004, 01:47 PM

Onboard ship we used to run all our boats and fork trucks on JP-5 with no problems. Boats had Detroits in them, not sure what the fork trucks had for diesel engines.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:40 PM

Met a guy with a 2001 24valve truck. He was an aircraft mec who was servicing my airplane with O2. I started talking shop with him and he told me the only thing he has put in the truck sence it was new was JetA, except when he was far from home. He said the truck had 65,000 miles on it. Also said he has never put attitive in it. Many diesel engines around airport, they put the Jet Fuel in straight from the truck, I doubt they use attitives. I would check with cummins though.
bish
Old 02-09-2004, 07:35 PM

I'd sure read that warranty book real close. They are pretty clear on voiding the warranty when non-approved products are used. And while Kerosene and jet fuel will work, I have an idea they are not considered "approved products". Should you happen to toast any part of the engine, I'd bet money that they will go out of their way to avoid a warranty repair.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:05 PM
cp

#2 is hard to find??

You must really live in a remote place.

I have by no means 'been everywhere', but everywhere that I have been, I could find #2 diesel.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 AM

I love dragging up old threads lol..

Any reports back on this, I know a guy who wants to run some of this in his truck. He has access to some because they can not put it back into the plane after removing it.

thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 12:37 AM

Good friend of mine has a new Duramax and works at an aviation paint and repair company and had alot of fuel in 55 gallon drums they have to drain the tanks to work on some of them. Anyway he put the fuel in straight and burned out all of his injectors. Just what I have seen. Very expensive experiment.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:21 AM

How to beat the EPA, Airline Style

Originally Posted by Sir Kaos
I work at a remote location at an airport that we have plenty of Jet A, but Diesel #2 is hard to find. Has anyone run Jet A with favorable results? I plan on sending an email to Cummins to see if they have any thoughts.
You must work at that airport the Airlines built down on the Mexican border. The runway is in America, but all the painting is done across the border in a really nice facility. Labor is cheap, and the EPA can't say Zip about pollution, Right? I'll bet there is a lot of Jet A there too.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ciscohusker
Good friend of mine has a new Duramax and works at an aviation paint and repair company and had alot of fuel in 55 gallon drums they have to drain the tanks to work on some of them. Anyway he put the fuel in straight and burned out all of his injectors. Just what I have seen. Very expensive experiment.

My friend wants to try it in a 2nd gen with a p7100 pump. They are hard top hurt are'nt they? Sorry, I wish I could move this or copy it to the 12 valve section.

thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 AM

I work at the airport and we ran Jet A in our ground equipment when we
first got them (diesel units) and all of them crapped out the injector pumps due to lack of proper lubrication as told by the Manufacture and the pump rebuild shop. and we got no warranty for the rebuild either. Finally had to special purchase #2 from a supplier and install tanks for the fuel.Also can not run #2 in a jet start unit found out the hard way from the ramp agents.Du
So I would be causious about using it in my truck.
Just a little experiance we had.