Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

How do you guys keep your WVO line warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you guys keep your WVO line warm

I had to replace the feed line from my vortex ( at the back of the bed) to the pollack 6 port (sitting on the inside of the master cyl.). I'm sure it will be fine for another 3-4 months(winter), but I'm worried about the oil congealing.

I was thinking I could use another 6 port and have it rigged so I can switch the return in such a way as to either force the WVO feed back to the tank with diesel, or just return to the aux. tank with hot WVO.

Sow how do those of you in colder climates deal with this?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a heated pickup, vormax and heated hose-in-hose lines to feed and return fuel. Then a heat exchanger in the engine compartment.
Heres the diagram Chris over at frybrid made up. I think hes the one that came up with the idea and posted it for folks to copy. It works really well!
http://www.frybrid.com/hih.htm
This warms the lines and all the contents after about 15min or so on the road. Id install a temp sender and gauge someplace to make sure.
I have two pollaks I bought for the conversion but ended up with frybrid's hydraforce valves so I never used them. Want to buy em?
Also still have some spools of the aluminum line used for the HIH in the plans that I bought from mcmaster-carr and never used.
Best setup for me was two valves, one for feed and one for return. The pollaks I have are 6-port so you could do it with one, but then you lose control over seperate feed/return.
I run bio in my tanks for the moment, and I can fill the main tank from the aux or vice-versa.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Get ahead of the problem , use real bio-diesel .
I figure your already a believer of the non processed veggi oil , but I just couldn't resist .
Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run the WVO lines with the coolant lines going back to the tank. tie wrap them together and wrap them with pipe insulation.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
Get ahead of the problem , use real bio-diesel .
I figure your already a believer of the non processed veggi oil , but I just couldn't resist .
I've read some of your other posts. I see that you are not really the open minded type. I also see that you obviously haven't read about ALL the problems with Biodiesel prematurely wearing out seals and other such problems. I have been reading about Bio and WVO/SVO use for well over a year now. I have seen pros and cons on both sides. When WVO is properly filtered, de-watered and heated before introduction to the injection pump it can be just as safe as using Bio or #2. I believe a lot of the studies you have referenced in your posts are somewhat old and have not caught up to new technology. I think personal experience of people on this forum is a little more realistic than even a "scientific" study, because these guys use it in real life situations every day. I am no way a scientist, and as you have said neither are you. I have read of too much success with both Bio and WVO, just as I have read of failure with both. It has been pointed out in most of the cases that it was operator error. I'd venture to say that "scientists" would favor Biodiesel over WVO because it is a resource that large corporations can make money off of. WVO is somewhat free and no one is really profiting off of it. Science if financed by large corporations and find "facts" in favor of products/resources that will make big business large amounts of money.

I say if you want to really have a leg to stand on you should go but two identical vw idi cars and run only Bio on one and only WVO on the other. After X number of miles tear them both down and compare. That is the best way to do it. Oh yeah you will need to buy a third to run on #2 only to make the whole scientific method work out correctly. Until then I believe that personal experiences of this forum are pretty good for proof. Sure some will have problems, but who doesn't have some problems running #2?

Ok, my rant is over. Sorry.