Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Home Depot Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Depot Diesel

We have a Home Depot gas station that went in a couple miles from the house. I don't think there are a lot of these out yet. I drove by to check the price on #2. It was $2.69, 15 cents less than what I payed for #2 not 2 days before at my regular filling spot. I went in and asked the guy at the register where did the diesel come from? I already knew, just wanted to see what he said. He said it was a hodgepodge of everything. I forgot to ask how often they get fuel delivered. But would you be willing to fill up with their diesel? I think I'll check back with them and see how often they do get fuel deliveries before I try them out. Just curious what everyone else thinks, or if they do run their fuel. Thanks - Max

I just found an article on it. Well it looks like there are only two so far. One down the road and another one about 10 miles from my work. They are hoping for 300 by 2010. Oh well.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually stick to high volume truck stops. I caught a local station a few weeks ago selling Bio as straight #2. Wish I knew he was selling Bio earlier, but he stopped when all of the rigs filling up starting having fuel system problems. You just don't know what you are getting at some stations.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:31 PM

I found someone that supposedly sold B20 so I checked it out. They were more expensive than reg #2. And I don't think it was bio to begin with. Is there any way to tell if you are getting Bio? Or just take their word for it?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:59 PM

I think the only way you could tell would be by the color of the fuel. BD made from soybeans will have a dark amber color like pancake syrup. When I changed my fuel filter the other day I could see the difference right away and I run a B-20 (20%) mixture. Lift the nozzle out so you can see the fuel being pumped in as you're doing it and if it's soy BD you should be able to see the darker color. I would imagine that as they're getting a better price for their various BD mixes that they could be prosecuted for fraud if they sold something labled BD and it wasn't and visa-versa.
As for the low mixtures of BD hurting your truck that's NOT the line you see on the various forums/boards about BD and/or diesel vehicle websites (or anywhere else for that matter). B-20 was made and formulated to be completey transparent in regards to #2. IN FACT, #2 with BD added in the lesser mixtures ENHANCES #2 diesel and has been tested, tested and retested and at the lower mixtures will NOT hurt 99.99% of the diesel vehicles that can/are use(ing) it. Reported problems running these B-20 mixtures and less, especially in our trucks, have been between nill to nonexistant. I'd be more worried about the new Ultra Low Sulpher diesel now appearing at a diesel pump near you and the effect that's going to have on your truck, frankly. But by simply adding a few gallons of BD, your fuel's lubricty problem is all taken care of. Even in as low as 2% (B-2) formulations, BD has been proven to be beneficial to our trucks and the environment when added to #2 diesel. Dodge/Chrysler even ships new diesel Ram trucks with a partial load of B-5 in the tank new from the factory. So if there was something that went wrong with your truck, I'd be looking in some other direction than the B-20 mixture or less that's in your tank. Odds are that, as long as you purchased your BD at a reputable retail dealer, it wasn't the cause....fwiw. Chuck