Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fuel conditioner that "pays" for itself.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel conditioner that "pays" for itself.

Right now I am driving around 300 km's a day. I have tried howes regular, and lubtec winter fuel conditioner and lubtecs premium fuel conditioner with no noticable gain in MPG. The lubtec @ $23.99 per liter does 500 liters of fuel. I figure I am going in the hole using it! LOL Anyways, a few suggestions on what fuel conditioner will actually pay for itself would be apreciated. The guy that I bought the lubtec premium said he see's 4-6 mpg increase when he uses it. GAH!!!!!! I thought if he see's 6 I can hope for one. LOL I have easy access to Power Service, Howes, and lubtec's product line. If I hit some of the truckstops I might be able to dig up some stanadyne I think. OH OH OH also Marvel Mystery Oil and 2 stroke oil! Would be willing to give a pail of amalgamated a try, but I really want to at least break even in the conditioner cost with mileage gains. Whadya figgure????
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the Howes Meaner cleaner !! Guaranteed 4.8% increase in mpg or your money back!!

It took me 2 full tanks to achieve that

Rick
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 PM

Thanks, I will check into that tommorow. Check on local pricing of additive VS price of fuel VS how much fuel it conditions. 5% is alright heck I will take anything! Just have to do the math and if it works out I will be sold! Well I will try it anyways.

John.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:12 AM

Even if there are no mileage increases to be had, a good fuel conditioner will pay for itself in longevity alone considering the current state of todays Diesel fuel.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 AM

Where can one get the Hawes? Looked on the net and it looks as though one has to buy it on the net.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All of the Flying J truckstops I've been in carry Howe's
Old 03-22-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigGunZ
Even if there are no mileage increases to be had, a good fuel conditioner will pay for itself in longevity alone considering the current state of todays Diesel fuel.
Not my experience. I put anti gell in if I run between Florida and the Great White North but nothing else. What I've saved in conditioner I could buy a CP3 for.
Now if I could get something that constantly produced 20% better MPG at a reasonable price I would consider it.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rammtuff
Not my experience. I put anti gell in if I run between Florida and the Great White North but nothing else. What I've saved in conditioner I could buy a CP3 for.
Now if I could get something that constantly produced 20% better MPG at a reasonable price I would consider it.
I agree, I only use additive for anti-gel in the winter.
But I have 12 valves.
With the weak fuel system on a pre CRI 24 valve, lubricity additive is probably a good idea.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No matter what they say on the can additives won't increase milage. They do a great job cleaning and BRINGING BACK milage. If you notice your getting less then clogged injectors or bad spray pattern could be the culprit. but there are no magic potions that will make diesel give more BTUs
Old 03-23-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
That's no surprise. I never ran a conditioner in my Ford either and suffered no problems over it's 180K mile life. The problem is that fuel systems have evolved into 24,000 PSI monsters with $800 injectors, while Diesel gets diluted and degraded by the smog ****'s.

If you go to Bosch's web site there's a research paper on modern Diesel fuel and it's effects on their fuel pumps complete with pictures. I didn't run conditioner in my 05 until after I read that. As for cost, a good lubricity additive isn't that expensive. I get lucas by the gallon at $23. I bought my last gallon around new years and it should last until May or June, and I'm considering switching to 2 cycle oil that's far cheaper. I don't know what a CP3 costs but I think it's a safe bet that it would take the cost of a few years worth of conditioner (at least for me) to equal the cost of one pump.

I agree that mileage claims are just that....."claims", but lubricating what is essentially a 24,000 PSI hydraulic system is pretty much a no-brainer for me.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 PM

Well I went and tracked down some meaner Howes. Like Runamuk says I saw the 4.8% increase and was sold! It says right on the bottle that it pays forthe product 2x in fuel savings. So I will report back if the stuff actualy works. There was power service there as well but from what I could see, the Howes meaner cleaner seemed like the better deal. Cost vs mixture ratio vs 4.8% mpg guarantee. That should work out to almost 1 mpg.....
Old 03-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Chapter President

How much?

How much was the howes? At what % is it supposed to be mixed? 4.8% of 16mpg is what?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Have you tried Stanadyne Performance Formula yet?

I buy it by the 5 gallon pail at my local Diesel Injection Service shop.
About $140, but it lasts me for about a year and a half.
I use approx, 6 oz per refill. I refill at 1/2 tank.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Howes is 12.99 per qt at Flying J here. 1 qt treats 100 gallons. I just ordered a 6pk of quarts for $53.00 from the distributor in L.A. area.

Rick
Old 03-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Shovel,

I've never tried Stanadyne is it a cleaner/lubricator or what? Where can I get some to try? The parts houses around here are limited to gas motor supplies.

Rick

Quick Reply: Fuel conditioner that "pays" for itself.