Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fuel is $3.84/gal !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel is $3.84/gal !!!!!

I don't know if this is the right area for this thread. But can anyone tell me why fuel is .70 more than gas. I just don't understand it! I just paid $3.84 and that was the cash price! I know oil is crazy expensive by the barrel, and actually 3.00-$3.20 was manageable and kind of expected. But I've really never ever seen it higher than gas. What the ---- is going on. How do truckers handle this and why has there not been a strike yet.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid $3.99 today at one of the lower priced statons in town.

I hear it's $4.05 in Northern Maine.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 PM

its anywhere from 4.09 to 4.19 here in NY
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 PM

This should go under General Diesel > Fuel.

Read a few threads in there, many people have explained why it is the way it is.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Chapter President

Supply and demand. Diesel is in bigger demand, but refining priorities and capacity has not changed much. Also, I read one article that said it cost more to refine diesel than gasoline now....additives, etc.

Some of the independent truckers are starting to be more vocal, but all of the big companies just add a fuel surcharge and pass the expense on to me and you.

Around here now, if you order a load of gravel, it's the cost of the gravel + a fuel charge.

Originally Posted by cuccamonga
I don't know if this is the right area for this thread. But can anyone tell me why fuel is .70 more than gas. I just don't understand it! I just paid $3.84 and that was the cash price! I know oil is crazy expensive by the barrel, and actually 3.00-$3.20 was manageable and kind of expected. But I've really never ever seen it higher than gas. What the ---- is going on. How do truckers handle this and why has there not been a strike yet.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM

4.08 here in san diego.i am going across the border this saterday to fill up the tank and a few cans.its $2.05-2.50 i think.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM

At least we have the largest fuel surplus reserves in the last 4 years in the U.S. I can't believe that diesel is this expensive.... I thought it was bad at $3.79 a gal. here in SW Florida....
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM

Seems to me "they" always blame the winter hike on heating fuel costs in the midwest and east. Funny how it goes up but never seems to come back down. When I bought my truck it was 1.25 and i was laughing as I had my foot to the floor. Now I push my truck from dead stops and let gassers pass. There has got to be a better way to heat a building besides precious diesel.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 AM

$1.169/L here. Works out to $4.38/Gal after exchange. Suddenly, $25/day travel pay isn't enough. Its sad when I almost prefer to drive the 93 tempo instead of my truck.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 AM

I was talking with a guy the other day about diesel cost...he's a trucker for a living. I asked him what his thougths were about the prices and is there anything the truckers are going to try and do draw awareness to the price of diesel, since all anyone ever see's on the news is gas. He said the independents are pretty much screwed. The larger shipping/trucking companies don't seem to care as much...not that they don't care, just not nearly as much. He filled me in on why...When they hire a new driver, they are subsidized by the government for that drivers training. As long as that driver stays with that company for 2 years after their training, the government then pays that drivers salery through whatever company he was hired by. His point was, the larger shipping companies aren't getting hit as hard as the independents because ultimately they're not putting out as much. They're simply not having to put out the cash for the first two years, so, the price of diesel doesn't impact them as hard. He also elaborated that the government is actively attempting to get the trucks off the road. At least the coast to coast trucks. He claims they're trying to get long distance shipping to be by trains and planes. The goal is for the trucks to do the local shipping from the train yards or airports to the stores/deliveries. This is what he claims, so, I can't speak for how accurate it is, but, he's been in it for over 30 years now. I'm sure he's watched a lot change in that industry over those years. He also mentioned the ULSD has contributed to the price hikes, but, he says it still costs less than gas to produce. He does not discount the effects of the demand on heating oils...he said everywhere he's driven this winter he's noticed it seems cooler than normal. Like I said before, I'm just conveying his thoughts. I have my own thoughts, but, I'm too tired to go on...it's 1:40 a.m. here and got to get some sleep.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 AM

A couple years ago in the lower mainland truckers raised quiet an uproar about fuel prices. All the container truckers had huge rolling convoys through the cities which caused quiet a few traffic jambs, I dont think it actually did any good though. Around the same time Gravel trucks went on strike to try to add a fuel surcharge. The strike lasted pretty long probably a month or more I cant remember, Anyways most gravel trucks arn't union. So all the union ones went on strike along with lots of non union ones. There were lots of gravel truck drivers that wanted to continue to work but couldn't becouse it got pretty violent. Some of the guys that went to work got beat with shovels and things like that. It really wasn't a good thing. Anyways I guess my point is that you asked why there wasn't any strikes yet but there were a couple years ago allready. In my opinion fuel prices arnt going to go down from people complaining or from people going on strike. It just means that truckers will have to charge more, then stores will charge more and on and on.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:50 AM

I am fairlly young but don't ever remeber seeing diesel over 4.00 ...That is going to hurt everyone , if the politions really cared they could suspend the fuel taxes in this country ...I know thats not going to happen !
Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Greguw
I am fairlly young but don't ever remeber seeing diesel over 4.00 ...That is going to hurt everyone , if the politions really cared they could suspend the fuel taxes in this country ...I know thats not going to happen !

It's not just the fed tax, the state tax also needs to go away for awhile.

Check out this site.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM

Since the US and Canadian dollar are pretty much par.. do the math for Toronto. $1.16/L x 3.8 = $4.40/Gallon!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM

inflation is mostly responsible for the cost. simple economics. rack up a big debt and print more money to cover it instead of collecting more revenue, and you are worth less. the dollar is worth about 50% of its '00 value. Look at the historic value of gold for a reference youll see what I mean.
Essentially this inflation is like the hidden tax thats paying for the debt thats being racked up. Its coming from all of us and its a LOT of money.
If you want to do something about it, contact your representatives.
If you want to really talk about the reasons behind this, it should be done on all-politics.net =(

Quick Reply: Fuel is $3.84/gal !!!!!