Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Economy of fuel?? What will affect you??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ~Angry Tractor~
I no longer drive my truck unless absolutely necessary. Fuel here is 53 cents more the gas. I have a diesel car that gets 34 MPG on winter fuel and 40 mpg on summer. With diesel being so much more then gas, I calculated that driving my car is as efficient as driving a gasser that gets around 26 mpg and THAT is what the oil companies want. I really believe they anticipated people migrating to fuel efficient diesel powered vehicles when they started price gouging gasoline. They ran the price of diesel fuel up so that no matter what you drive they get about the same amount out of our pocket per mile. How much more of this price gouging, over taxation and over all outrageous inflation are we going to take before we finally say enough is enough? I had to take a $4 an hour pay cut 4 years ago to keep my job and look at how everything has gone up since. I am now making the same wage I made in 1995. Remember what fuel was back then? I used to make a decent wage but now I am considering taking a second job because I can no longer save any money. When I complain about all this to someone who isn't experiencing something similiar I get labeled as disgruntled. I don't think I am disgruntled but I am fed up with unfair wages, taxation and inflation, but until enough other people are feeling the same way and willing to figure how to change it, it will just stay the same. Ok enough of my rant You all have a good one and I hope the New Year is better.
Angry Tractor: I applaud your post and thumbs up your rant I pretty much feel the same way you do and yes I get the feeling at times of being marked the village idiot for voicing such opinions.It always seems that most want to pass the cost on to the next guy right on down the chain, but when does it finally bottom out and comes crashing down, Oh wait I forgot about "credit" that seems to be readily available for most as long as your making the least minimum payment (there interest rules principal). Alot don't care what it cost just want to know what that 30 day payment will be. To me every thing must work out with a "sense" of balance, seems to be basic logic and economics.

Tony
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Not much I can do. I have to drive to work (130 miles round trip), but I use my VW turbo diesel 4 days a week and the truck the other day. Then I use the truck on the weekends for ... truck things.

I can't cut back any more other than sitting in my house all weekend.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 PM

I bought another car to save $$!!!??? How's that work?? Oh ya 50+MPG that's how!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Im quiting my job. I make a drive of 90 miles round trip 6 days a week sometimes 7. It costs me over 500 bucks a month for fuel. Im goin to take one here close to town and a pay cut but at least save the wear and tear on my truck plus not racking up the miles on it. I am seriously thinking of selling it. I hope it doesnt come to that but yesterday I heard on the news we can see over $4 fuel prices shortly. Im makin the same wages as I did in 1994 or1995 yet things have went crazy high. I cant even get ahead anymore. Depressing!!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Ya know, for all the talk about high fuel prices and dropping off on our habits, I have to re-iterate a point I've been bringing up for years.

In 1990 when I had my own Marmon road tractor and was hauling loads where ever they needed to go, I was complaining about the fuel costs. Then I went to Canada, OH.....MY......GOD! I was appalled! Remember, this was 1990, the price per LITER then was 1.20.

Back then, we were paying too little for fuel, according to the rest of the world, and today were finally right up there.

I got rid of the ford V-10 gasser through a sweet deal and gained the 2500 with CTD and loveit. The mileage doubled, the sound is manly and I could go oon forever.

We have not stopped using the truck (I can't, it's my daily driver) and were plpanning two long distance trips pulling the fiver this year. Yeah, I'm gonne burn my WVO when the weather warms up a little more to save some money, but I still mix it 50/50 with #2.

As for those who can't "afford it anymore, and especially the one who's making the same wage as in 1995, you have to decide for yourself what to do. I've heard for years about my Paramedics wanting Nurse wages. The answer I give them is: Then get a nursing degree like I am.

I'm done now.

Last edited by Fryartruck; 01-04-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Needed to add more
Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put less than 5000 miles on my truck in 2007. In 2004 I put almost 40,000 miles on it.

I only drive it now if I need to haul or tow something.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 AM

Another thing that bothers me now with the high fuel prices is that I find myself always "watching" how fast I drive or accelerate. It's very annoying.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah and it's going to go up with the price of crude busting the $100/bbl benchmark.. I seriously doubt it will ever get cheap again as we are approaching peak oil.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IwtAQzrfiw
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 AM

I have 4 CTD's and I drive my sunfire whenever I can to save money I hate it. These fuel prices are crazy!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:05 PM

I find it hard to believe that most of the U.S. population is adjusting their driving habits.
I cannot see any reduction in traffic around here. It seems to have increased if anything.

I think the only way people will actually reduce their driving is if fuel reaches 6 or 7 dollars.

This is probably a long way's away however.

I have also thought about getting a TDI...but was concerned about Volkswagen's fit and finish. The motors are good, but all the ancillaries like pumps and clutchs, etc...are a concern.

Plus, arent they dogs? Even with chips and such I heard they were dog slow
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Most of the year I ride the bike 45-47 MPG. Its going to be 65 here on Tuesday so I may just ride. Had a little rain over the weekend so the salt is washed off the roads.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard anything about TDIs being slow. Although I guess if you need a 0-60 time of 6 seconds or something, maybe a VW diesel is not for you. But who really NEEDS that kind of acceleration anyway?

And VW would be hard pressed to make their fit and finish any worse than Chrysler...

I would buy a TDI in a heartbeat if I could afford one.

I guess you could go ask the TDI people...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/
Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 AM

I was thinking the TDI is the way to go but I have come to the conclusion that a Toyota Prius or Yaris is the best way to go to save money since unleaded is 50+ cents cheaper than diesel now.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 AM

My driving habbits have changed. I am always watching the fuel guage and I drive like a grandpa. Never exceed the speed limit.

I wish I could cut down on seat time in the truck, but its hard. I use my truck for everything. I work three different jobs all requiring my truck for 90% of the work I do. Its a tool, I make money with it. My entire reason for going to a diesel was to have the option of using bio. I hope to have the money for my tank setup here soon. That is becoming hard to do with the price of fuel and a $600 truck payment!

I watched the new Die Hard movie last night. Made me realize how vulnerable this country really is to a crisis like they have in the movie. No offense to the city dwellers out there. However if we have a big fuel shortage or power grid loss. You know what they say. "A Country boy can survive." Sadly there are too many people that depend on the government or someone else to take care of them in the event of a disaster or likewise. If we did perhaps run out of oil/fuel the last person I'm going to turn to is the people that taxed the living crap out of it for so many years. I think this country needs to wake up and start taking care of them selfs and preparing. The price of fuel isn't getting better and jobs aren't paying any better.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Boys, don't forget we will be seeing the Honda Accord TDI in 09.

59-60 MPG will be the norm.

Personally, I can't wait!

Patriot, scary thought, but thats exactly what I am preparing for.

I doubt it will be from Terrorists though.

Quick Reply: Economy of fuel?? What will affect you??