Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Economy of fuel?? What will affect you??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here fuel is 4.20 a gallion i dont want to turn my pump down cuz it nice in the city when i get mad and hav to pass some one but if it goes higher ill find my own fuel. or do like my dad did he has 2002 chevy 5.3l 4x4ext pickup and he use to spend 150 dollers a week untill he got vw jetta 45 dollers every 2 weeks
Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 PM

I've said it before. My truck is my Office/Workshop/Daily Driver. I have to tow a tank trailer sometimes, carry drums more often and pressure washers occasionally.

If fuel gets TOO high, I'm not sure what we (company) will do. But I couldn't use something like a TDI Jetta Wagon enough of the time to be cost effective.

So I just keep driving for MPG as much as possible. At this time ODO + MTE = about 750 miles.... so I must be doing something right.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM

man, do i need to find an ole diesel VW. even if it gets 30-40, still coming out way ahead. but thenagain, my POS Honda is paid off and still gets 22-29 MPG w/ 216k miles.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:23 AM

I don't do much driving that isn't work related so a $500 beater wouldn't even make economic sense.

I drive like the proverbial old man and think a Mileage Max Module would help...

But I can't afford to pay attention!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 AM
Chapter President

Having your own business has it's benefits. Just pass the cost on.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 PM

I guess I've cut back on unnecessary driving too. Like try to run several errands at the same time. The cost of fuel is actually something I think about now. Like if I need to run down to the post office to mail a $5 package, I see the package costing me $8.00 if I burn about a gallon of fuel to go and come back. Add all these little trips up and it turns into a considerable cost. I can't quite let me truck go so I mainly drive it on long trips or for recreational activities. I drive the Accord and it gets 22-29 mpg. Now that I don't really think about how much I drive...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Chapter President

Thumbs down How High?

I like many of you have cut back at the current levels. The price's in this country are outragous for the volume of resources we are sitting on.

I am afraid if somthing were to happen and fuel jumped to 4-6 dollars a gallon that we would be members of DTGR (Diesel Truck Garage Resource)

We recently whent on a trip to cut a Christmas tree. Travled about 300 miles round trip. Took a loop up past the Bristlecone Pine Forest, down through Deep springs and came back through Beatty, NV and Death Valley cut a Pinyon on the NV side. Any way, the Family traveled in My mom's Sequoia. All 8 of us! The tree cost $3 for the permit, and the trip cost $125 in fuel and food! Granted a fake tree or a cut one from the local parking lot vendor would have been cheaper. But the trip was a fun family expirience.

My point is that what used to be fun and leisurely is now a huge gouge on the bottom line for so many. I could have never afforded that trip. Thank goodness for Family. I can barely afford filling the Pathfinder!

At what Dollar amount per gallon will you strongly consider either selling or parking your Cummins Truck? What level would spell the end for recreational dieseling in America?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
I like many of you have cut back at the current levels. The price's in this country are outragous for the volume of resources we are sitting on.

I am afraid if somthing were to happen and fuel jumped to 4-6 dollars a gallon that we would be members of DTGR (Diesel Truck Garage Resource)

We recently whent on a trip to cut a Christmas tree. Travled about 300 miles round trip. Took a loop up past the Bristlecone Pine Forest, down through Deep springs and came back through Beatty, NV and Death Valley cut a Pinyon on the NV side. Any way, the Family traveled in My mom's Sequoia. All 8 of us! The tree cost $3 for the permit, and the trip cost $125 in fuel and food! Granted a fake tree or a cut one from the local parking lot vendor would have been cheaper. But the trip was a fun family expirience.

My point is that what used to be fun and leisurely is now a huge gouge on the bottom line for so many. I could have never afforded that trip. Thank goodness for Family. I can barely afford filling the Pathfinder!

At what Dollar amount per gallon will you strongly consider either selling or parking your Cummins Truck? What level would spell the end for recreational dieseling in America?
I'm currently putting together a WVO/SVO kit for my truck. It is going to cost me a total of about 600-700 including all necessary prefiltering setup to build. I also have a 1991 VW Jetta diesel that gets 50-55 mpg on the interstate. I will use the car for back and forth to work and the truck for long trips. Fuel prices are getting out of hand.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 PM

I think some of us find it necessary to drive our trucks.
I need mine for work, as do many others on here.

This means, we really dont have the luxury of parking it, or replacing it with a jetta.

I also plan to possibly start running on wvo, svo, or biodiesel (just need to figure out which one first).
This will be a good solution. Wvo is free, biodiesel is about 1.75 a gal if the wvo is acquired for free, and svo can be bought for under 2 bucks a gal if bought in bulk (and delivered right to your door)

Of course, the 400 hundred or so dollars you would spend to get it up and running on any of these fuels...means prolly a year or so before seeing the profit.

That is similar to selling your used vehicle then turning around and buying a brand new vehicle at thousands more. Will take years before seeing the profit.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by febrocks
This is what I see every day since my neighborhood's been taken over by fancy pants w/ their starter mansion. We get people that could careless about saving fuel even though they can. I'm sorry but that just rubbed me the wrong way. While I try to save, some fancy pants burning as much as they want. I guess I'm jealous. I'm just some poor slop that can't get ahead.

Eugene
You won't ever with that attitude. I'd have to seriously cut back if it went over $4 a gallon but I would never get rid of my truck no matter what the price. Just live with it and go on.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just did another trip of a little over 2500 miles.
The 6.7 sure likes the fuel. Anyway, I started calculating my numbers a bit closer and realized that I have started to consider exactly how much fuel I put in and where. Needless to say, I put in the bare minimum up here in Canada and I put as much as possible in when I am in Indiana. Take 4.20 a gallon vs. 3.07 a gallon and well, it adds up real fast. I also shut the truck off more often. If I let this truck idle...I have to take the idle up to 1100 rpm so as not to throw any more codes and then it becomes a costly venture...so I shut it off.

I tried cruising at 65 mph...and believe it or not I get better mileage at 70.
I also netted better mpg at just a shade over 65 up to 70 towing compared with towing at 60-63. Must be the gearing in these 6 spd autos. I tried running in 5th and it did not seem to make a difference on paper. However, I did pull the hills better towing when I left it in 5th.

Scotty
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up here, diesel is at 4.45 to a US gallon. People do not quit driving regardless of the price it seems. For everyday driving, we use the Sentra and my wife rides the bus to work and I ride my bike (a little interesting at -30C and ice covered roads) but it keeps me in shape. This spring, they are estimating fuel going to 5.50 a gallon. Whats really annoying is that we pay that price for fuel and export 70% of what we produce. Go figure!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by mattbatson
I think some of us find it necessary to drive our trucks.
I need mine for work, as do many others on here.

This means, we really dont have the luxury of parking it, or replacing it with a jetta.

I also plan to possibly start running on wvo, svo, or biodiesel (just need to figure out which one first).
This will be a good solution. Wvo is free, biodiesel is about 1.75 a gal if the wvo is acquired for free, and svo can be bought for under 2 bucks a gal if bought in bulk (and delivered right to your door)

Of course, the 400 hundred or so dollars you would spend to get it up and running on any of these fuels...means prolly a year or so before seeing the profit.

That is similar to selling your used vehicle then turning around and buying a brand new vehicle at thousands more. Will take years before seeing the profit.
I am building a WVO/SVO kit and it will cost me about 5-700 dollars complete with filtering/dewatering station. I calculated and it will take me three to three and a half months to make that up running on free fuel.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
At what price point will you consider changing your driving/vehicle choice habits drastically?? I have heard the stations cant keep the tanks full even now. I have also heard that it will have to go to 5-6 $ a gallon before the average American changes their habits on a large scale, do you think this is true? What price would really have a large impact on your habits/business etc...?????
It was when it was at $2.00 a gallon I changed my driving habits, sounds super cheap now . I heard that comment made at the time, but I really didn't want to believe it. When I bought my 03 in Jan/03 is was $1.30 a gallon around .10 to .15 cents a gallon cheaper than reg unleaded.

Tony
Old 12-29-2007, 07:05 AM

I no longer drive my truck unless absolutely necessary. Fuel here is 53 cents more the gas. I have a diesel car that gets 34 MPG on winter fuel and 40 mpg on summer. With diesel being so much more then gas, I calculated that driving my car is as efficient as driving a gasser that gets around 26 mpg and THAT is what the oil companies want. I really believe they anticipated people migrating to fuel efficient diesel powered vehicles when they started price gouging gasoline. They ran the price of diesel fuel up so that no matter what you drive they get about the same amount out of our pocket per mile. How much more of this price gouging, over taxation and over all outrageous inflation are we going to take before we finally say enough is enough? I had to take a $4 an hour pay cut 4 years ago to keep my job and look at how everything has gone up since. I am now making the same wage I made in 1995. Remember what fuel was back then? I used to make a decent wage but now I am considering taking a second job because I can no longer save any money. When I complain about all this to someone who isn't experiencing something similiar I get labeled as disgruntled. I don't think I am disgruntled but I am fed up with unfair wages, taxation and inflation, but until enough other people are feeling the same way and willing to figure how to change it, it will just stay the same. Ok enough of my rant You all have a good one and I hope the New Year is better.

Quick Reply: Economy of fuel?? What will affect you??