Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Economy of fuel?? What will affect you??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Economy of fuel?? What will affect you??

At what price point will you consider changing your driving/vehicle choice habits drastically?? I have heard the stations cant keep the tanks full even now. I have also heard that it will have to go to 5-6 $ a gallon before the average American changes their habits on a large scale, do you think this is true? What price would really have a large impact on your habits/business etc...?????
Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I think thats a load of BS to keep prices on the upswing.

I know that at 2.50 a gallon I started weaning back trips and got rid of my gasser truck, at 3 bucks a gallon I really started watching the fuel usage.

Perhaps I am cheap, perhaps people do not see a real economical car worth having, perhaps the media moguls are right, all I know is I am watching where I drive right now.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM

My truck stays in the driveway most of the time now. I just drive it on long trips and going to work. I fill up maybe once a month since I drive it so little now. We use my wife's Saturn Vue to run around town. It gets better in town mpg than the truck and it doesn't make me cry when I fill it up.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Since fuel is at 4.39 a gallon up here, I decided to do a test over the wknd.
Since I have the 6 spd auto I was thinking that if I lowered my speed from 70-75 to 60-65 I might see better mileage...I did a run of 45 miles....then I returned to the same spot and did the run again...with only the overhead for my numbers. My mileage was lower on the slower speeds by 1 mpg...I attributed that to the real low RPM I was running at.[maybe?] I returned again and decided to run the truck at 60 mph in 5th gear. I saw no change in the overhead so I returned again and ran at 65 in 5th. I did see a change...a reduction of .4 mpg. It seems like the drag and the rpm are effecting the mileage in a similar way. Just for kicks I returned one more time and set the speedo at 110 kilometers per hour or around 72-73 mph. This was the best mileage overall. And at 80 mpg I lost 1.3 mpg. Now I need to do a test like this pulling. And here I thought I would see the best mileage in 5th at 60 or 65. Go figure. I do think that a set of 410's in the 6 spd auto might be the best match. I reset the overhead everytime and I started to monitor at the same crossroad.

I do idle less, and I do not hammer the throttle as often from a stop.
I think I might gut the interior, take off the inside duals, go on a diet, toss one battery and only run on a 1/4 of a tank.

Not many seem to be adjusting to the increases in costs...yet.

Scotty
this took me the better part of the day to do and I wasted fuel doing it.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 PM

I only fill up the truck just past 1/2 mark. I check my tire pressure every other week. I drive like a grandma. If prices go over $4 a gallon, I would have to consider driving a moped. That's dangerous in Dallas.

Eugene
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by febrocks
I only fill up the truck just past 1/2 mark. I check my tire pressure every other week. I drive like a grandma. If prices go over $4 a gallon, I would have to consider driving a moped. That's dangerous in Dallas.

Eugene
mopeds are tough to drive on ice and snow but I may give it a try.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
mopeds are tough to drive on ice and snow but I may give it a try.

Sheesh, we are getting desperate.....
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
DBM

I don't know about you guys but i live in washington and the gas station next to my house was selling diesel for 3.74 a gallon a couple of weeks ago. now it is starting to lower for some reason it went from 3.74, 3.69, 3.64, 3.59, 3.54 and now its down to $3.42 a gallon. It is still alot but man if it went any higher i would be ****** off. The most expensive fill up was a record $112.00 which was 30 gallons untill it clicked. This was early last month i could not believe my eyes.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

Traded my wifes Xterra for a 07 Honda Civic. Best decision we ever made. Cut her fuel bill in half. So what ever the price was 8 months ago made us change our habits. We also take her car everywhere that we dont need my truck.
2.83 for her gas
3.33 for my diesel What's that all about???????
Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started to cut back on driving when fuel went past $2.30 a gallon. Being I'm retired I have let my truck sit for up to 10 days with out driving it. There is no reason for diesel to be as high priced as it is. We all know diesel cost less to make then gas and yet gas sells for $2.80 a gallon in my area.

One thing that helps keep the price of diesel high is that they re-refine diesel in to gas any time they need more gas to sell. By turning diesel in to gas it lowers the supply of available diesel. Its called supply and demand, there is more demand then supply. There for with a low supply of diesel it causes the price we have to pay to be artificially higher then it would be if they did not turn it in to gas.

JMHO
Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 PM

All three of my vehicles have a turbo diesel engine. I do not even look at the price when I put fuel in them. Has the price affected my driving habits? No, and I seriously do not think it will. Ed B
Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eddiebob
All three of my vehicles have a turbo diesel engine. I do not even look at the price when I put fuel in them. Has the price affected my driving habits? No, and I seriously do not think it will. Ed B
That's great if it doesn't put a dent in your wallet. But for most of us it does.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM

I started riding my KLR650 to work back in June. 8800 miles in 7 months at 50-52mpg.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I snagged my moms old Toyota Celica. Haven't started driving it yet, but it's coming...
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by eddiebob
This is what I see every day since my neighborhood's been taken over by fancy pants w/ their starter mansion. We get people that could careless about saving fuel even though they can. I'm sorry but that just rubbed me the wrong way. While I try to save, some fancy pants burning as much as they want. I guess I'm jealous. I'm just some poor slop that can't get ahead.

Eugene

Quick Reply: Economy of fuel?? What will affect you??