Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Do you heat your WVO? How hot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:31 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you heat your WVO? How hot?

O.K. .......I recently picked up a '75 240D Mercedes. Been running it for a couple of weeks now. Everything is great for the most part! ( lacking a radio, and needs a 5th gear! ) I am in the process of adding a second tank to run WVO. Have a plastic tank, solenoid fuel selector valves, hoses, filters and all the such. It will be basically 2 separate systems. I do, however, have a couple of hitches in the 'giddyup' ! Need to figure out how to heat the WVO?

#1 How to heat the WVO?
a) in the tank only?
b) in the filter and engine compartment
c) both

#2 How hot does it have to be?
#3 Do you have a temp guage, or just go by engine temp?
#4 What type of heat exchanger do you use?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to "vegoilinfopop.com" and look around. You will find a lot of information and answers there.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to "frybrid.com" and use the search function for reading beyond my brief description here.

Ideally you want your wvo 160F or hotter. Start with a hot fox coolant heated pickup in the tank. You need not heat your whole tank, but heat at the pickup may be necessary, especially if you run in colder climates and/or you use partially hydrogenated oil. To the hot fox coolant heated pickup you will have a coolant supply and coolant return line. These lines are teed into your heater core lines underhood. You will also need a heated wvo filter, as well as a final heat exchanger. Many use a flat plate heat exchanger for their final heat exchanger since they are compact. The coolant actually hits the final heat exchanger first, then goes to the heated filter, then to the coolant heated pickup in the tank. Then returns to the engine. Your wvo fuel line(s) from your wvo tank can gather heat if they are bundled with your coolant lines going to and from your wvo tank.......this is referred to as hose on hose. There is another method that transfers more heat called hose in hose, where you use 3/4" heater hose with 3/8" aluminum line inside for the wvo.

Go to frybrid.com and use their search engine and you can find more info.

Waylan
Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 AM

I use a heated pickup, filter and hose-in-hose up to the engine bay, then a final flat plate heat exchanger near the pump. Its got electric injection line heaters but I havent hooked them up yet.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats my plan.....I have a coolant to oil trans cooler to use for the fuel in the engine bay, an Artic Fox heated fuel pickup, and plan on using the hose in hose from the tank to the engine bay. I need to add a filter or two in there, just need to find a filter heater too, just for added heat! I tend to overdo things a little! Should I worry about putting a temp guage in the fuel lines? Or should it be good as long as the engine is up to temp?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM

I just used 2 gauges with pickups that are drilled and tapped into the elbow fittings used in one of the connections