Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Dept of Energy knew all along...Changing Diesel Fuel would...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhaugen
May I ask where you found this? Everything I have seen on Ethanol, the emissions are better than Gasoline.
it would take too long to post all of the links, so just do a google search for 'stanford university study on ethanol'. it's not just the emissions themselves, but how they react with the ozone in the air.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Don't quote me on this because I have no facts, but I'd venture a guess to say that diesel is consumed at a much higher rate than gasoline, and an outrageously higher rate than ethanol. So even if what you say is true, it makes sense to make one small change that will have a much greater impact than it is to make one big change with almost no impact (eliminating ethanol would be the BIG change with little to no impact).
the federal government along with state governments have big plans for ethanol use, so it's not just the moderate amount of ethanol we're currently using, but how much they plan on using in the next 5,10,20 years. btw, you need to ask yourself, how did ethanol legislation get passed through in the first place when there were already questions regarding health issues, poor fuel economy, higher food prices, huge amounts of taxpayer $$$ being given to corporate corn farms, and the added emissions and fuel used to truck ethanol around the country (ethanol cannot be sent through pipelines)? john stossel of abc news has done numerous stories on the rediculousness of ethanol, and how the end result is worse in every way for us american 'sheep'.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regarding the ethanol emissions being better than gas. I've seen a report the Canadian government did on ethanol emissions testing. There was a 0% difference between the two. They did the tests with the engines hot and cold, at idle, half throttle and wot. No difference except that you use more fuel with ethanol because of the lower energy content... its also funny that I've only seen the report once... never made it to the news... I wonder why...