Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Better WVO controller?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better WVO controller?

I've seriously been considering a WVO conversion for years, and it was one of the justifications to buying my truck last month. My only question is does ANYONE have a controller that does something better than buzz if you forget to purge? I'd really like to find or create a set-up that would auto-purge itself after the key is turned off. Something similar to what a turbo timer would do, where the truck runs for a set amount of time and then shuts off.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Also, has anyone seen a company who sells quality tanks for truck beds that look like they're meant to be there. I remember seeing a company that integrated a tool box back in the day, but I seem to have lost the link.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 12-29-2006, 01:44 PM

Just use the adjustable turbo timer , is all you have to do is change your mind why its there .
Old 12-29-2006, 03:12 PM

Is there a way to get a turbo timer to trigger the purge though? I'd like to get everything to be entirely seamless from switching to WVO to switching back.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:32 PM

I'm not sure what your getting at [ purge ] .
I would not use the WVO at this time , I don't think that not getting rid of the gliserin is a good idea , but thats an other ?
I do under stand what many are doing , 2 tank system , start on diesel , switch to WVO to run , sw. back to diesel to purge .
So all you need is the tank sw. , then the turbo saver so you can let it idle long enough to purge the WVO . thats the minor reason not to use WVO .
If I did use the 2 tank method of burning WVO I would keep it simple by just using a tank sw. and a little more planing when I drive .
You may be using someone's system that I haven't seen and do not know all the components .
Old 12-29-2006, 03:51 PM

http://www.vocontrol.com/
this company makes a controller.

If you want to have a more basic system(IE less $) you can use a temp switch to switch to VO and have a turbo timer to purge when you shut down. When you configure your valves you just have them default back to diesel when the key is turned off.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is an automatic purge supposed to know when you're ready to turn off the engine?

I'd just hang a 2x4 on the driver's door so, if I were to ever get out of the truck without purging, I band myself on the head...
Old 12-30-2006, 12:05 PM

I would keep it simple , the controlers that I'm seeing , are just making something thats simple , more complex than it needs to be .
Your dealing with a alternitive , needs more attenssion , If you want to make it that automatic , or I'm guessing you have somebodies book that is selling you there system , the only complicated thing about this should be paying attention to keeping the fuel quallty good & consistant ,
I still think that about the only electronics you may want to make it easyer is like I said earlyer , the turbo saver , with timer ,so that

to flush the WVO out of the fuel system before shutdown .
Old 12-30-2006, 12:40 PM

auto purge works by you shutting the key off. The shutting off of the key starts the purge cycle for the adjusted amount of time. Engine continues to run during the purge time.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM

No ones book, kits, nada. I'm just doing a lot of research for myself and will probably end up building my own kit out of a Northern Equip. tank or the likes. I just prefer something that seamlessly controls the process of switching back and forth between diesel and VO. I'm a rather forgetful person spawned from being way too busy, which is why I have to carry a log book around so that I can document everything I do to my truck. If I didn't, I'd have a tough time remembering when to change filters, oils, fluids, etc..

I in no way can tell you how it works or how to make it work, but I believe you can make a truck automatically purge with the right controller. How does a turbo timer know to keep your truck running? It senses the change in signal from the ignition. When it loses it's switched power from the ignition it's powered from the battery and leaves the truck running for x amount of minutes. If I could find a way to make a turbo timer purge the truck too, that'd be a thing of beauty. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works, theres a reason I never got into electronics

I also understand the need to pay attention to detail. I'm perfectly fine with however long the process of filtering and purifying the oil is. I'm also fine with being picky about oils, we have plenty of places around here that would give it away. I've always just liked the idea of VO in a diesel. Please keep the comments and criticism coming though, nothing wrong with being knockeed out of a fantasy world

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 12-30-2006, 01:03 PM

Auto Purge
parts needed:
turbo timer
delay relay.
switch.
temp switch

Switch is powered from IGN +. When key is off, IGN + is off, so system defaults to the off position which you set up as diesel.

Turbo timer keeps engine running after key is off. You have to verify that your switch IGN + source turns off with the key while the turbo timer is in use.

Delay relay delays the time the return fuel valve is switched so that the VO is returned to the VO tank while you are flushing it out with diesel.

Temp switch keeps the truck from switching to VO before the engine is warmed up. This allows you to keep the switch in the VO position and have the system fully automatic.

The switch allows you to override the system back to diesel at any time
Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by roverhybrids
Auto Purge
parts needed:
turbo timer
delay relay.
switch.
temp switch

Switch is powered from IGN +. When key is off, IGN + is off, so system defaults to the off position which you set up as diesel.

Turbo timer keeps engine running after key is off. You have to verify that your switch IGN + source turns off with the key while the turbo timer is in use.

Delay relay delays the time the return fuel valve is switched so that the VO is returned to the VO tank while you are flushing it out with diesel.

Temp switch keeps the truck from switching to VO before the engine is warmed up. This allows you to keep the switch in the VO position and have the system fully automatic.

The switch allows you to override the system back to diesel at any time
Perfect! Exactly what I've been trying to find out. So, are you available when I start plumbing my system? Seriously though, I may have a few questions in the coming weeks once I get the tank and wiring components all together.

Thanks a lot,
Shawn