Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Dynojet questions and strategies

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynojet questions and strategies

Guys, if you read my post

you will see my valid stats with the twins setup i am running.

max egts 1200 degrees
Max speed at WOT 100 mph at about 3000 rpms (slow i know)
Max boost: spike to 50 psi, then BOV's kick in and limit me to 46-48 psi, which is where i limited it to
Timing set 16.5 degrees
Fuel plate 100 full forward (for fun)
AFC position Full forward
Starwheel: completely loose
Injectors: 370s
DV's 181s (for now)
Turbos: 35/14 over an S400 no drilling thru gate, no other turbo mods either
GSK:4K kit, (free revs to 3800 easily, then kinda struggles to get to 4000 rpms)
Top turbo: wastegated to 24 psi

I feel all of a sudden that i will not hit my next target of 500 horses at the dyno with the setup stated in that post reason i did test it that way today was to see if the HG will hold, so that i can go dyno, im startin to lose confidence in my truck, and what i have done to it, i love the midrange pull but then the top end just dies

This leads me to question, if my top speed with a near 8000 lb truck was 100 miles per hour, will i be able to spin the wheels harder on a dyno? IE achieve a higher top speed? I really feel the truck has midrange power to spare and will probably get me close to my goal, but at 3000 rpms it just dies..

Is the best approach to this (with twins now) still just get the truck to about 1500 rpms then hammer it? I know i can pull hard till 3000 rpms on the street (kinda forgot from my last dyno run how high i pulled ) WOuld it be a wise strategy to just run the truck a bit till i know the chargers are both lit then let it have it? does the weight in the bed have any effect on the readings? should i hit the dyno with a full tank or 1/4 tank?

I know i need a super clean airfilter, i need my rear tires at max psi for less resistance, and finally finances to hit the dyno..

Reason im gonna do this is to get some new baselines, im on a goal to try and build a reasonable towing rig with the potential for awesome dyno numbers, IE 550-600 rwhp.. (would really love to see 600-650 tho)

Next on the list is as follows

After the headwork im looking at the following things, Im lookin at DDP4's, II delivery valves (Or scheids full cuts), more timing, an SPS 62/14 for the top of mine (or an s300, whatever comes along cheaper) then finally a valet switch to tame all this power I should have....

Thanks alot for readin up guys!

Respectfully

Rick
Old 11-23-2006, 08:16 PM

Pump has never been calibrated at all

or off of the stand for that matter, i dont even know how many CCs it flows either, Truck is a five speed, its a 215 pump, i cant even guess how many ccs of fuel it flows, Gearing in the rear end is at 3.54 and i do know that it was hilly where i was running the truck, and i didnt start out from gear to gear, i just hammered it from about 65 onward to see how fast it will go, now im sure that if i start off with RPMS up and everything i might go over 100 mph, so that might be a factor.

Top turbo and timing i think are hurting me more than anything else, I want the extra fuel the DVs are gonna add, im even gonna toss on some bigger injectors, BUT i think the headwork is priority at the moment, which is why i dont want to get the DV's the sooner i can get my head worked on the sooner i can add fuel, turn up the boost limit, then add my other turbo to the mix.. ( i see this happening over the coarse of one more year)

Thanks for the advice john!

PS i thought about messin with the Gsprings as well, but if loosen them one more click from where they both are, the idle will drop occasionally to 300 rpms, which is why i leave them where they are... I think im out of fuel more than anything else, and i need to cross drill that gate OR... get a better top charger..

Rick
Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question, how does one make over 600rwhp on fuel *cough*Fulmer*cough* with a 215 pump if all it's putting out is 200cc
Old 11-24-2006, 10:17 AM

The Stock 35 on top is what's killing your top end...not the fueling. My bet is it's choking it lond before you mek it to 3K too

You need to drill out the wastegate on the 35, or go with the external like we've talked about!

Chris
Old 11-24-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
question, how does one make over 600rwhp on fuel *cough*Fulmer*cough* with a 215 pump if all it's putting out is 200cc
Thats the exact same question that I want answered Forrest, i know it can be done just the recipe is classified im guessin

John P,

thanks for the advice, but i think with what u have said ill just save up for a rebuilt head, again its my priority, then ill send off my IP to get worked on later on, i want to see what is the most that I can get out of it before i send it off... I know i want to get the full 4K done on it, and I also want the popping to stop while im at it, and finally get the wastegate drilled on the top turbo for now, i can sence that its gonna be my christmas vacation project...

I seriously thought this thing flowed more CC's here is my basis for that..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=108705

Thanks guys!

Keep the advice coming!

Rick
Old 11-24-2006, 12:36 PM

You think Fulmer is running a bone stock 215?? "Stock" in his application means stock cam, barrels, and plungers only. He has admitted that II has tweaked it, so let's not even go there. Even a measley plate change ramps the fueling way up.

For the dyno, start the run around 1400-1500 rpms in 5th and mat the throttle.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

I've talked to Fulmer... he has AFC mods and a Mack front plug... you can advance the rack a little w/ the adjustment on the back of the pump, but I just grind my plate deeper.

I just don't get where this guy is saying that unless the pump has been on a stand, there's no way it's putting out more than 200cc of fuel
Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
I've talked to Fulmer... he has AFC mods and a Mack front plug... you can advance the rack a little w/ the adjustment on the back of the pump, but I just grind my plate deeper.

I just don't get where this guy is saying that unless the pump has been on a stand, there's no way it's putting out more than 200cc of fuel
My thoughts exactly on the second one..

but im sure it meant well that a better calibrated pump, or better balanced pump will put out more CC's?

Rick
Old 11-24-2006, 01:18 PM

It doesn't matter what the pump mods are...we should have enough fuel for 500 Now more than that would be a stretch.

I think you'll be close, but it'll be hard to make 500 choking on the top end. You need to let it breathe a little better, then the numbers should come up!

Chris
Old 11-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Forrest Nearing:

I don't appreciate your "sarcastic" remarks Sir! Regardless of what you think or say, I KNOW that my STOCK 180 pump was putting out about 160cc's of fuel at full rack when the truck was near new! That is with the stock cam plate and stock settings! I know because I saw the pump run on the test stand at Scheid Diesel! Now,.......I will agree that the 215 pump in DTR Member "TxDiesel007's" truck will put out more fuel than the early 160 HP pumps or the later 180 HP (96'-98.5' 12 valve auto tranny pumps) but I would bet it is NOT much more than 200cc's at full rack with STOCK settings,(i.e.: stock plate, stock cam. stock barrels and plungers, stock delivery valves etc.) I was trying to tell Rick that if he can get his pump to a certified Bosch Fuel Shop and have the pump "calibrated" he will be able to START with alot more fuel and then make adjustments from there. At present,
he has the modified fuel plate, the 181 delivery valves etc. But, if the pump is only "set" at say 200 to 225, then IMO he is kind of "up against the wall" as far as fuel flow. Yeah, 191 delivery valves will help but NOT like a full calibration would!

As far as Jim Fulmers truck and his P-7100 Fuel Pump,........he is putting out ALOT more than 200cc's Nearing!! I would guess that his pump is at or above 500cc's. And FWIW, the P-7100 fuel pump on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve is also a 913 and I am also over 600 RWHP and I can promise you that pump is way up on fuel flow too.

-------
Rick:

I wanted to try and help you here but according to Nearing it looks like I am just giving you bad advice, so I will stay out of the thread from here on! To keep Mr. Nearing happy I have deleted my earlier posts.

Good luck on your truck.

--------
John_P
Old 11-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

well, Rick said he's running a 100 plate full forward and the AFC housing and wheel are full forward, so why are we talking about stock specs again?
Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

buddy of mine made over 500rwhp on diesel w/ a single turbo, 370's, 181's, and a stock front plug. 215 pump had never been off the truck.

another buddy made 573 on diesel w/ twins... 215 pump and a #10 plate

impossible, right?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 PM

Do you have a pusher pump to help support fuel delivery. If not check your fuel pressure under load. Jim
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by jlayden
Do you have a pusher pump to help support fuel delivery. If not check your fuel pressure under load. Jim
Tweaked OFV

just took care of that FP problem... Well see how she does...

Rick