Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Any word or Results from Indy??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah...it didnt like pulling in 5th gear once a week
I guess I am just going to drop down to 2nd high range and stay there (once it gets fixed).
Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Justin:

It was good to see you at Indy buddy!

Sorry to hear you weren't able to pull. I was wondering about that myself.
Johnner and I would sure have liked to see you run your truck! You mentioned the DHRA inspections and "not being able to get a straight answer" from them. I would have to agree with you on that. I watched several inspections on both the sled pulling trucks and on the Pro-Street Drag Trucks and IMO it is "hit and miss." I was there with Jimmy on his truck and without going into detail here and really making some people mad, their approach and scrutiny on his truck certainly did not match how they gave a few other trucks a quick "once over." A couple of these trucks were new entries too and two others were missing the so-called safety items they harped on Jimmys truck for, but pretty much let it go on the other trucks. I said as much to Eric later in the day but I doubt that did much good. I can remember when Johnner ran the AMA Pro Quad Cycle Races and can tell you that every ATV there got the same inspection each and every time and you either met the requirements (kill switch, nerf bars, riding gear, helmet requirements etc.) or you didn't.

Anyway, maybe we will get to see you run run at one of the upcoming events.

Take care Justin!

---------
John_P
Old 06-29-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Yeah...it didnt like pulling in 5th gear once a week
I guess I am just going to drop down to 2nd high range and stay there (once it gets fixed).
I can see how it would begin to hate that after a while

Are you going up a step to the Iron Giant, or sticking with the 3850??

I'd love to start sledpulling...but I can't go halfway into anything and just do it! I'd have to go at it like you are, keep adding parts 'till something breaks, then fix it, and keep going

Chris
Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
Justin:

It was good to see you at Indy buddy!

Sorry to hear you weren't able to pull. I was wondering about that myself.
Johnner and I would sure have liked to see you run your truck! You mentioned the DHRA inspections and "not being able to get a straight answer" from them. I would have to agree with you on that. I watched several inspections on both the sled pulling trucks and on the Pro-Street Drag Trucks and IMO it is "hit and miss." I was there with Jimmy on his truck and without going into detail here and really making some people mad, their approach and scrutiny on his truck certainly did not match how they gave a few other trucks a quick "once over." A couple of these trucks were new entries too and two others were missing the so-called safety items they harped on Jimmys truck for, but pretty much let it go on the other trucks. I said as much to Eric later in the day but I doubt that did much good. I can remember when Johnner ran the AMA Pro Quad Cycle Races and can tell you that every ATV there got the same inspection each and every time and you either met the requirements (kill switch, nerf bars, riding gear, helmet requirements etc.) or you didn't.

Anyway, maybe we will get to see you run run at one of the upcoming events.

Take care Justin!

---------
John_P
i know what you mean on this John,the first time the dhra inspects a prostreet truck,they do all but a cavity search,and then they mention certain missing items to some but not to others,it however i believe all in all dhra is fair on this stuf,i havnt seen anyone turned away yet from drags if only missing minor equipment but they are warned dont come back with out it...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:38 PM

It's hard to grow a class if you kick out the competitor's after they just traveled hours to come play. If its something that doesn't give them a competitive advantage they just have to make sure its on there the next time, and that is the tech official's decision.
The first inspection is comprehensive, and that is what Jimmy went through, the rest of the inspections are spot checks and that is what John P. witnessed on other vehicles and thought they were getting special treatment. We try to work with the driver's instead of just kicking them out. Once we have seen the SFI tags, brakes, fuel lines, etc we just don't need to closely study them anymore.
I know not everyone will agree with that method, but that's how we run things around here and feel its the best way to grow the classes. Justin, my number is 765-768-6400 anytime you need something clarified.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by king d
i know what you mean on this John,the first time the dhra inspects a prostreet truck,they do all but a cavity search,and then they mention certain missing items to some but not to others,it however i believe all in all dhra is fair on this stuf,i havnt seen anyone turned away yet from drags if only missing minor equipment but they are warned dont come back with out it...
I can see how this would happen and I've gone through some stuff with my own truck. However, a call to Eric or an email does the trick when I have a question. DHRA officials have been very forgiving even when I ask why the rule is in place. I also have to admit that they saved my fuel tank and bed due to required driveshaft loops.

I would change some of the DHRA documentation to have PICTURES so we can tell where the rollcage needs to be and the location and size of driveshaft loops. It's very frustrating to read "The rocker bar must be installed below and outside of driver’s legs and must tie into the main hoop, the forward hoop, frame, frame extension, or side diagonal. The rocker bar may not tie into a swing-out side bar support." A picture would be very helpful for us do-it-yourself'ers.

brandon.