24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad brand new VP44 from cummins? Almost didnt make it home tonight..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad brand new VP44 from cummins? Almost didnt make it home tonight..

My truck just clicked 60K and i bought it new, 2002 HO. 6 SPEED.

Before with the stock inj pump, the truck at idle and you goose it, it would spit and sputter kinda like back fire. It would have dead pedal, and got to the point in a few minutes it just would have a mind of its own, sometimes idle to 2800 and back to idle ect, all kinds of issues. direct result of stock lift pump overheated the inj pump

Purchased pump yesterday and installed it last night. ZERO PROBLEMS going to work, except i called and mentioned it did not seem to make power until 2500 to 3200. No dead pedal, no turning the key on and off, no idle issues, no problems, no soft running and acting like it would not run, no backfires thru the intake and none thru the exhaust.
Truck does have brand new lift pump.

OK, leave work, notice i cannot roll coal. ummm kay... hit it down low to make torque and take it to 2500 and its a turd.
Go to hit the highway, and dead pedal, codes come on, and back fire thru the intake, well, i was on my way to drop off the factory original vp44 core to the guys, so id limp it there. 5 miles away.

Drove fine , would not smoke, but no issues. Drop off stock pump.
Drive 25 miles, no issues.
Drive back home with skid loader on trailer, rolls coal, tons of power.... working great for 10 miles.

Starts popping thru intake, starts rolling coal all by its self and my foots not on the pedal, starts odd idle issues, dead pedal, and im about to drive it into the river.
So limp it home, starts driving fine after its issues.

I had talked to cummins, they say corroded wires on ecm on block. bad grounds.
Truck has new batteries, clean truck, no saying its corroded, but why would the truck run fine yesterday and all the way to work, and wammo its back to the same stuff as before....
Here are the codes i got
P1693
P0230 transfer pump circuit out of range
p0122 apps too low
p1689 no connection between ecm and inj pump module
p0216 fuel inject pump timing failure....

Im stuck in my driveway blocking my cars with a trailer on my truck, i need this truck fixed tomorrow if possible.
I am a diesel mechanic, but dammed if i did not think that this vp44 was the root of all my problems.
Can it be just a bad connection????? corrosion????

Please help, i have been out of the cummins scene for awhile and got my truck up and running for the winter cause my other truck aint gonna cut it this winter..
Thanks
turbov6bryan@live.com
Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What's you fuel pressure? Could have just had a bad lift pump from the start.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Talking

Hey , thanks for reply... I'm working on the truck right now, checked apps voltage.... Right near the end of wide open throttle my fluke meter reads 3.2 then said OL. Which is open loop....

Then proceed further wot and it goes to 3.45
On decel of pedal, same coming off wot, near 2.9 volts the meter scales OL and I get zero volt spikes. It's clear
Bad thing is I dunno if that's normal

I've got a A-n fitting to clear tube off the bottom of filter housing, and a gauge reading 13 psi?
But it's taking 5 mins to build the pressure, I have yet to start, I've got air in bowl I guess and fuel may be draining back to tank
I'm gonna stuck inline Carter napa pump, and a check valve one way

If anyone wants to call me my cell is 573-286-1699
Old 10-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Mmmmmkayyyy. I have 13 psi at idle and no air bubbles.
Truck did not have codes until I put this pump on. As in. In the morning it was running fine no codes, just down on power and no smoke.. Which sucked.

Goosed it down low, and got codes, let it sit overnight to clear codes hook back up just now and have all the same codes as before. So sumpin is finally broke and it's not the lift pump.

ECM? Apps ? Doing new grounds now and removing superchips d box that plugs into boost pressure solenoid

Hp box?? I took it off last year and did not fix truck, but I dunno can hp box kill something?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm almost thinking radio frequency interference from the alt,
I've read little about it, some type of motor causing interference and cause this???

Not that it matters, I have fm modulator hooked inline with factory head unit to run sub woofer....
It's been in truck for 7 years....

Someone please help me out!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Also just remembered last winter I jump started my other diesel truck that the batteries were completely dead, and from then on it changed the truck, I literally could hear tone in how it ran from that point on...
Bad diode in alt going to ground?
It charges and not full field. It charges normally

13 psi idle and no air. Still getting codes

I'm going to pull hp box and retest
Old 10-16-2010, 06:09 PM

Still broke , pulled hp box off and had batteries off for an hour
Turned key on with load tested batteries and all the same codes came up again before starting truck....
Is one hour enough? It's at least broken, so that's a good thing trying to pinpoint this issue

I was hoping for more help....
Where is everyone????
Old 10-16-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it looks like you have an issue between the vp and ecm its electrical check the wires real good also do you know any one who will lone you a spare ECM to try?
move some wires and see in a connection is reestablished
Old 10-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I did pull harness off ECM that's on side of block on drivers side. Took pics and it's like new. Odd is no can buss connector code, today was first time any of these connectors were ever off since 2002.
I need to check but believe code that said no comm between ECM and vp 44 is gone
I gave up. After 8 hours getting lined out get to this point.
I work on heavy equipment for rental yard and know a lot but this baffles me
16 years wrenching on electronics and this has me throwing in the towel
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM

ECM was my next step. Auto 2002'non ho work on my truck?

How much for ECM?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ECM from a auto is diff you can use a 5spd I did it once and it worked fine that I could tell new ECMs are $400 +-I saw one on EBAY for 475
also you can have the pump tested to see if it the VP
Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by rebal
ECM from a auto is diff you can use a 5spd I did it once and it worked fine that I could tell new ECMs are $400 +-I saw one on EBAY for 475
also you can have the pump tested to see if it the VP
Thanks again for your help, i did buy the pump from cummins and they have their own pump shop at a separate facility. I was thinking of them testing my old one...

Hey, if, and its a big IF, the keyway was sheared some, why would the truck run decent, then start ramping in fuel and revving up all by its self, then have dead pedal, then start back firing thru the intake, then come back alive and start running fine like normal? I am not doubting anything when working on this, just my luck like i told the salesman that sold me this new pump.

EDIT: IT did have the same characteristics with the old vp44 , the no communication code and 0216 everyone said bad vp44. I put new pump on and no issues at all, no codes and no drive issues AT ALL just down on power till 2500 rpm...
We unboxed the new pump and they forgot to give me the new inline check valve, so we put that one back on the shelf and he gave me a new pump.

Im kinda frustrated, but thats how this stuff goes.

Thanks again

Bryan
Old 10-17-2010, 05:39 PM

I forgot, this morning i pulled connector off vp44 and checked pin 7 it had 12.78 volts pin 6 it had ground, but i just found info for other wiring online, and supposed to check for ground with ecm unplugged, i did have ground and checked it at battery, also checked good grounds at fuse panel. Wire #5 calls for NO VOLTAGE in the start or run position, i had 0.118 nominal, but it is voltage, is it enough to mess with can bus?

Im away from truck, so i have to try tomorrow.
Literally just found other pdf file for harness, and just found a site that shows what to check on other wiring.
I dont mind doing the work one bit, i wished i had started this a long time ago, i was convinced it was a bad vp 44, and maybe not, might be computer or wiring.
I will definitely post what i find
BW
Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM

8. Ensure ignition is off and FPCM connector and ECM connector are still disconnected. Using DVOM, measure resistance between ground and terminal No. 1 (Black wire) on FPCM connector. If resistance 5 ohms or more, replace ECM. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, repair short to ground in Black wire between FPCM and ECM.

So this statement in the vp44 harness to ecm says, that for a fact, you must have exactly 5 ohms of resistance or replace wire or replace ecm...

I dont get it, wouldnt you want less resistance the better?
I just read the print, no 1 is the GROUND wire, and you measure GROUND TO GROUND you dont want high resistance,...
Why would you.... why would they tell you to test resistance with the ECM UNPLUGGED and then tell you to replace ecm with or replace the SHORT TO GROUND..

Are they saying in the white wire and black wire as a unit sharing voltage as a loop in the can bus harness THE GROUND WIRE IS SHORTED TO GROUND CAUSING MY ISSUE. Remember, the black wire IS ground, but on 5 volt system using the talky talky canbuss harness, its grounded out.

Ive got it, harness or ecm.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM

I'd say your pump timing is off.... messed up key???? Stupid question ,but how do you get a 24V to roll smoke without a smoke switch...Nate

Quick Reply: Bad brand new VP44 from cummins? Almost didnt make it home tonight..