ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Winter tire question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tire question

I've managed to get a spare factory rim set for my truck. Now I'm looking for winter tires to put on it. I'm actually thinking about studded tires for the first time ever. I'm thinking about Nokian Hakka LT tires, but haven't spoken to anybody with these on their trucks. Or any other dedicated winter tire. I've always run all seasons, so this is new ground.

Any reviews? Locations? Prices? I'll probably be looking at Michelin LTX 2's for my summer tires next season.

I'm located in Edmonton, so if anybody can recommend more affordable tire shops...

Thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are going to run two sets of tires then defiantly go for the studs. I've got studs on the AWD minivan and they work great in winter.

Since you've got studs don't worry about getting a tire with lots of sipping for ice(the studs will take care of that) but instead get a tire with a grippier/blocky tread that can dig in the snow if you get into deep stuff.

I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer S/Ts for the truck, they are studable and have and bit more of an aggressive tread. I didn't get mine studded as I can't afford two sets of tires for the dually and drive the minivan in the winter anyway, but if I did get a studded set for the truck these would probably be my first choice.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 PM

Right now I have 265/75-16 Load Range E Nokian Vativas on my truck. They will be replaced here shortly but if you want an awesome snow/winter tire, these are the ones. Studded can only make them better.

If your looking for mileage, you will get it also. I can dig up the invoice to show you the mileage when the tires were installed to prove it but right now I'm almost at 165,000 kms on these tires and yes they are pretty close to bald ( wear bars are even with the remaining tread). I was shooting for 200,000 and could probably make it but winter is close by so I'm not going to push it.

I drive highway pretty much full time, never go off road other than the occasional gravel road around my house. I do tow all the time also. Wear is maintained dead flat by keeping tabs on the pressures all the time ( I do the chalk line across the tread trick). Rotation every 10,000 kms using the corner to corner/front to back method. The ONLY flat I have every had with them was a cracked factory wheel, they have never been punctured.

Worst thing about them is they suck in the mud. More so wet gooey mud just packs them up like racing slicks. Living on an acreage isn't fun when your constantly stuck on level ground.

I got them out of Kal Tire in Cochrane and if I remember right, they were just shy of $1300 installed. Kal Tire installs these on all kinds of delivery and commercial applications and they swear by them. I was hesitant but gave them a try after getting 20,000 out of a set of BFG A/T's.

I would put them on again but because of the mud thing, I'm looking at something different. Nokian does make a Vativa M/T and I am leaning that way but it's about a $1600 bill installed! The other choice is Goodyear DuraTracs which I have talked to many of the farmers running them around my area and they are working out awesome for them. Fountain Tire has thier 4 for 3 sale going right now and it's about a $900 touch for 285's installed. Yes, I'm going to step up a size again.

The last set of Goodyear AT/S tires I had (305's) netted me 85,000 kms so the mileage isn't quite the same as the Nokians but they pay for themselves in the end.

Jeff
Old 09-12-2010, 01:00 AM

I've got Nokian Vatiivas on both of my trucks. On the dually, they did pretty well in the snow with weight in the back. On the 12v, I wasn't quite as impressed. I ended up buying a set of 235/85 Bridgestone Winter Duellers for the winter time. There was still the odd time that I needed 4wd in my neighbourhood, but not nearly as often as with the Vatiivas. I do have 70k km on my Vatiivas and there is still a good amount of tread on them. I'm not nearly as regular with the rotations as Jeff is, I have rotated them twice since installing them. I will probably switch them up in the spring time for something different, I don't need such an all-weather minded tire since I have dedicated snow tires now.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 PM

nokians are good but expensive,if you want to save money go to treadwright.com they blend a crushed glass and walnut shell compound,into a bfg recap warrantied for 2 yrs,very low prices you may think no to retread,but just check it out.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta's with studs. Amazing tire. Ice Snow, wet, slush, dry pavement all great. Have used Michilens and Blizzacks before and these are just miles above them but worth the bucks. They were not the cheapest, but performance wish have been worth every cent. (Studs make a cool sizzling sound on dry pavement but on ice make a huge improvement stopping and starting.)
In our annual spring snowfalls when the city comes to a standstill I have no problem getting around and pulling little old ladies out of snowbanks. Try to find a set and have a look at them before you buy. I got mine at Kal tire 2 years ago.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...kkapeliitta+LT
Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 AM

Canadian tire has there winter tires on sale (approx 150$ each) they have lots of sifts and are studdable, I ran a set of these last winter, they have about 60-70% remaining...but remember I used these 8-10hrs a day 5 days a week, for intown courior work
typically a set of new tires (michelin/BF/ does not matter who's tire) would if your lucky last 10months,

I ran all last winter on these tires and have no complaints, they allowed my truck to stop and go with very little need for 4x4

once you have had studded tires you will never go back!

here is what the tread looks like, at the time of pic I had not yet had them studded

Name:  675A0113.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  46.1 KB
Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 AM

to the orginal poster, there is a truck shop on 97st and just north of 130ave, called Trucks plus (I think) they have a knock off brand tire right around the 750$ mark installed. Tread patterns look like stuff cantire sells,but by far the cheapest tire I have found todate, and for the work I did 1200$ worth of rubber did not last or handle any different than the 700$ stuff, at least in the intown driving dept
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks to all. I'll be figuring out what my budget can handle (gotta get rid of a car here first..). I went to winter tires on the cars (Subaru and Nissan) last year, and it made a huge difference. Moving to only the truck, I intend to do the same thing.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I run 4 dedicated winter tires on my 2wd. Steel 17x7.5 wheels & the narrowest tires that will fit on that wheel which is the 3rd Gen dually size of 235/80R17E's.
My tires are actually mud tires Discovery S/Ts.

Narrow tires are superior in snow as they cut right thru & don't float on top plus the narrow tires are more tucked in the wheelwell & don't toss as much crud on the truck.
The S/T's are good in snow, but not good on ice as they are hard compound rubber.
The narrower tires don't look nearly as sexy though...

A quick check on Tirerack.com shows a ton of 10 ply truck tires available in 235/80R17E.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=17&x=28&y=5

Nokian tires are very good but so overpriced at Kal Tire. I bought 4 Nokian winter tires for my wife's car last fall out of the US & picked them up in Sweetgrass.

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/default.aspx were the cheapest & their posted prices include US shipping. They had tons of Nokians in stock.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer S/Ts for the truck, they are studable and have and bit more of an aggressive tread. I didn't get mine studded as I can't afford two sets of tires for the dually and drive the minivan in the winter anyway, but if I did get a studded set for the truck these would probably be my first choice.
Clayh, have you used those tires in the winter? I dont know why but they have been brutal on snow and ice on my 3/4 ton daily driver. I hope you have better luck with them than I have. I might buy a tire siper and see if that helps matters.

I have often thought about studs and just might go that route.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nope just put them on. I don't drive the truck much in the winter since the van has AWD and studs. If I did drive it in the winter I'd have gotten them studded and that would take care of the ice problem.

Are yours studable because mine are. Hard to stud them after they've been driven on though as the holes fill with dirt and small rocks. They are a pretty hard rubber which is what I need for the heavy hauling on gravel that I do.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 PM

I probably wouldnt stud them at this point. But they are wearing great especially for an aggressive tire....although I dont drive much gravel. They should work great for you.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
I probably wouldnt stud them at this point. But they are wearing great especially for an aggressive tire....although I dont drive much gravel. They should work great for you.

$1600 for tires Jeff??? yikes. You should jet on down to Sweetgrass for some deals.
Doc
whats the deal on sweetgrass? I did drive thru there about a month ago, on-route to California, I read somewhere that there is some kind of "place" where you can have your stuff shipped to then you take it across the border. when I went across I was looking for said place but never saw anything
Nick
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Nick Ive never picked anything up there...but apparantly you can have stuff shipped there and bring it across for pretty cheap. We just pay through the nose for everything up here.

Heres the thread Nick - thanks to Joe for posting this:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...p-t276522.html

Quick Reply: Winter tire question