ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Why is diesel so gosh darned expensive...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homestead
Have you guys ever considered a card lock account?

I just looked at my PetroCan Superpass bill that arrived today. My highest price was 89.4 a liter and the lowest was 83.6 a litre.

Sure you pay for it all at the end of the month but it's still a huge savings. Most every Superpass is high volume so it's always fresh fuel. If your in a bind and can't find a Superpass, your card works at any PetroCan station that sells diesel, you just pay pump price for that purchase but it still goes on your monthly bill. Works for bulk oil and lube stuff also.

You don't need a business, I'm self employed and the account is in my name. I know just about everyone on this Alberta board burns as much diesel as I do.

Just going by Goatbrain's reply, I saved almost $11 on my last fill compared to what he payed. Give or take, 3 fills a week, 4 weeks a month, that's $132. That's an extra fill a month. I'm good with numbers, I just impressed myself

Worth maybe looking into for some of you higher mileage guys.

Jeff

i might look into that but since i bougtht his truck 3 years ago i've only put 30,000km on it
Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homestead
Mike, I agree with on cheap fuel not coming back anytime soon.

I have been there many times with a stupid high fuel bill pushing $1500 to $2000 a month also, but saving a few cents a liter does add up in a hurry when you can find it cheaper.

Myself, if I can use someone else's money even for a month at a time for fuel purchases, I'll do it if they offer me the fuel at a cheaper price. I don't miss the days of chasing cheap fuel by running all over the place.

I remember my first bill from Superpass just after I bought my truck, 41 cents a liter! That didn't last long.

Jeff
I had to put $1500 for a retainer for shell. They wanted the bill to be paid on top of the retainer each and every month, no credit. They also cancelled my card a time or two. Shell is fly J, they are also partnered with Sinclair, and a few other small gas companies in the states. I cancelled the card after one year, they want me to pay a memebership fee. Petropass doesn't work down south, I just gave up and use my visa at the truck stops. I pound a few miles down south of the border a few times a year.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I looked at several options for getting a better deal on fuel.
The coop cardlock was by far the best but...last time I asked, I needed to have at least 3 cards and there was mention of a security deposit like what Shell does. The security deposit is usually equal to your monthly estimate of fuel. They cover their butt that way. I decided against it as I can do without tying up the money for them.
In the USA I do use the J with my flying J card and my credit card...I get the same price as cash that way and rack some points. Not nearly as much now as I am no longer logging 8-10K miles a month. Thankfully!

For local I use Stupid Store. I was told its the same blend as coop fuel and comes from that refinery here in town. Never had an issue with it.

I filled up there a few days ago and will monitor the mpg.

Siphoning is not as easy as it was 30 yrs ago either.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big difference in price in farm purple diesel....Just need farm plates... and a farm...