ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

What is wrong with my driving light wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ccmckee
I had the same issue with my DRL's and relay set up. I just unplugged my DRL module and jumpered the pins for the high beam indicator. I was thinking of using a 12V diode to block the low voltage coming from the DRL module.I just couldn't be bothered to play with it.

I was also thinking if it would be an idea if you could swap your drl to low beam. How hard would that be?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ccmckee
I had the same issue with my DRL's and relay set up. I just unplugged my DRL module and jumpered the pins for the high beam indicator. I was thinking of using a 12V diode to block the low voltage coming from the DRL module.I just couldn't be bothered to play with it.
The trick there is to use the high beam indicator wire for your signal to the relay/switch for the lights after the DRL module. Thats what I was thinking was burning out your relay Swampy..
Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 PM

I'm not to sure how the 3rd gens drl work but on a 2nd gen the daytime running light modual pulse widths the high beams for daytime running lights. When i hooked up a relay to the high beam wire, the relay would buz and i had the extra lights come on really dim. To fix it i got a box of resistors from radio shack and started small and worked my way up bigger till the relay stoped buzzing. Worked for a few years.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
This is my new plan of attack. Using this relay in the picture. I am thinking it is a 60 amp relay. Going to use a 30 amp fuse in the new fuse holder. Now for wiring 101 for dummy's I am going to ask a simple question if this will work.

Big post on far left = fused power from battery.
Small post on left = Ground
Small post on right = signal from highbeam/switch
Big post on right = power to Lightforce lights.

How do I not have power to my relay when I accidentally leave my switch on for the lights and have my daytime running lights on? That gives out about 3-4 volts and can sometimes make a relay switch stick or have issues. Besides the obvious, turn off the in cab switch when not in use!
not sure but I dont think that relay is rated for constant duty, looks alot like a starter relay...again I could be wrong

"Big post on far left = fused power from battery."
if you use a 30 amp fuse in this spot it negates the need for a 60amp relay.

better choice ould be 1 30amp relay for each light
Old 11-11-2009, 11:50 AM

I went on Cole Heresee website and this part # is rated for 85A continous duty. Might be overkill! As long as it works, because I find it annoying when my driving lights stick on because of the crumby relay that came with the kit was not up to the task. And melted fuses also were getting old. Now to see if I am ambitious enough to do something about the DRL signal.......
Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM

IT will take a bit of power to turn that relay on. You may have to use a small relay just to turn that big one on.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:15 PM

This project seems to be getting bigger and bigger!!!! And I am horrible @ wiring/electrical.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John,

That relay is for intermittant use. I think the amp draw to trigger will be too high as nickg stated. I had one of those for aux power on my 93 and it would get hot. I would do the dual 30 amp relays if you need it, but unless you run huge Wattage, one should be good enough. I have fired dual 100W drivers off of one of those relays for years.

The trigger is what burned out the old relay IMHO..