ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Truck almost fired tonight,,

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable
Luke we did the cyl cutouts already, 1 and 6 dont work. I did get ahold of the seller, and he swears that the engine was working perfectly when he shut it off. I think I might try a ecm first, I belive that if I am not mistaken that 1 and 6 fire off of the same circuit in the ecm,, maybe when my engine blew something gave it a whack??

I also need to get the wastegates looked at, couldnt get the one to seal at all,, just let exhaust out all the time.
Do a compression test on it. That should tell you if your cylinders or good or not, then you can start looking at the fuel system. Should be able to rent a tester for less money than what a ECM is gonna run you.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 PM

I do have the boost going to the top of the wastegate, bottom open. We took the one apart and it was all siezed up. I am going to pull both of them off and go through them see what I see.

Does anyone have a compression setup? Remember I live in Ft Mac, I doubt that I will be able to rent one. Also I have never used a diesel compression tool, is it just like on a gasser? Where do you take the readings from? ( I am thinking from the injector hole)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope you work this bug out before the Calgary races...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM

Yeah, but to be honest, it dosent look good for us to be there for those ones. Too many things to fix up and no time, I only have 1 weekend between now and then. More likely we will head down for the races in Medicine Hat in June, give me a chance to finish up some of the little things that are bugging me right now
Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
I do have the boost going to the top of the wastegate, bottom open. We took the one apart and it was all siezed up. I am going to pull both of them off and go through them see what I see.

Does anyone have a compression setup? Remember I live in Ft Mac, I doubt that I will be able to rent one. Also I have never used a diesel compression tool, is it just like on a gasser? Where do you take the readings from? ( I am thinking from the injector hole)
Yes, tester goes in the injector hole. I think Chris might have a 24v adapter, he had a 12v adapter in that set and about 3 other ones. I guess I should say Paul's, since it was/is his kit.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Kevin, If you need to buy a compression tester - Princess Auto is close for me. I could put it on the bus for you or you can phone it in and they will ship it to you (and the shipping is cheap).
Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 PM

I couldn't believe their price on shipping (7.95) so I jumped on an order. Then they phoned me and said since I'm at an air stage shipping would be 62.00! Kev now has something on the way from Princess Auto already!
I've been gathering parts for the twins build. I got quotes from Greggs in Edm and in Ft. Mac. Mac is about 5% higher on everything. I was trying to figure out how to get the better price in Edmonton. It slipped my mind we have members living in Edmonton that could possibly pick up something prepaid from Greggs for me. They are closed Saturday , and I'm usually only in Edmonton on the weekend.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 PM

I dont mind at all helping someone out but a 5% savings its hardly worth asking people to run around the city.

If its something you cant get in fort mac or something that costs 2 or 3 times more - then thats a different story.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 AM

hey ram4by i live close enough to gregs i could pop in there for you if you need. do you get a discount at all i usualy where my shell or esso badge when i go in there to get discounts.
pm me if you need anything
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Steve with my discount (westburne) I will save you way more than 5% so I wouldnt worry about that
Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM
The Guru

Kev, you getting any blow-by coming out the front cover? How about coming out the oil fill hole? If the motor is that bad, that the engine is missing, caused by a bad cylinder, you should be getting lots of blow-by (incomplete combustion).
Old 05-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Right on Kev, thanks. That's what we'll do then. I have to wait and see what my s475 comp outlet flange looks like exactly, before deciding on 3 or 3.5" cold pipe.
Thanks for the offer Kenny.
No problem Shane, thought you might live close to Greggs too. Looks like my sis will be out of Edmonton that weekend anyway so my son and I will probably stay around Mac next weekend.
Steve