ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Truck almost fired tonight,,

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Perhaps Kevin meant that the crank & the cam sensor are exactly the same part on the common rail?

ie. these 2 sensors on the engine are the identical replacement part.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3408529
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe, are those for a 5.9 or 6.7? or does it matter?

He said the truck runs, just not that well. The tach is not working so he was assuming it was the crank sensor. Like he said, has lots of codes due to the swap so its pretty hard to track things down I would imagine. Im not sure how much of that pic he will be able to see on his BB Brett.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 PM

got the tach working, all sensors are good now. Crank sensor was bad. Can sensor good. But I have 2 dead holes, 1 and 6. When i get back home I am going to pull the injectors and send them off to Don M and have him go through them, and have him tell me exactly what I have. But I am fairly confident that I will find that I have 2 bad pistons. I have sent a message to the fellow I bought the engine from to see what he has to say.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 PM

Thanks Brett, that is a good picture. I had found the sensor, I had missed plugging it in when I put the engine in.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 PM
The Guru

Kev, you pull the head off buddy? sorry about your bad luck? I would be curious to see what you have inside the motor? You might be able to just put in new piston and go racing. Things will get better buddy...just hang in there.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:45 PM

That sucks kev, Sooo close, Hopefully it will just be a matter of swapping a couple slugs and you will be good to go for Calgary.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That really sucks Kev....You will have all the bugs out for the Calgary races..
Old 05-09-2010, 05:50 AM
The Guru

I do have an 03 HO short block available buddy. It wouldn't take to much to get her ready to go. Fly cut the coated pistons and I have a large lift camshaft coming in a month. Put in some shot peened/cyro 12v/24v rods and reuse your 6.7L head. At least you could go racing this year. We also have a few 14mm main blocks laying around the shop and we could throw in a gridle and some heavy duty rod bolts. I have most of that stuff coming in, worst case. Keep us posted, it easy to build-up two motors.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable
got the tach working, all sensors are good now. Crank sensor was bad. Can sensor good. But I have 2 dead holes, 1 and 6. When i get back home I am going to pull the injectors and send them off to Don M and have him go through them, and have him tell me exactly what I have. But I am fairly confident that I will find that I have 2 bad pistons. I have sent a message to the fellow I bought the engine from to see what he has to say.

Also sorry to hear that Kevin. A compression test may help tell you what's happening internally before disassembling the engine.

Last edited by StealthDiesel; 05-09-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typos...
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Im curious what the seller had to say. I mean he had to know.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM

oh Kev no way. and if you have those injectors out for testing. run a compression test 1-6 for sure. run the test when all the injectors are out. its easier on the starter. actually before you pull them, run cylinder cutouts on all holes. then pull the sticks and do compression testing.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Luke we did the cyl cutouts already, 1 and 6 dont work. I did get ahold of the seller, and he swears that the engine was working perfectly when he shut it off. I think I might try a ecm first, I belive that if I am not mistaken that 1 and 6 fire off of the same circuit in the ecm,, maybe when my engine blew something gave it a whack??

I also need to get the wastegates looked at, couldnt get the one to seal at all,, just let exhaust out all the time.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 PM

hey kev make sure the valve seat in the wastegate wasen't left out at some point the ED guys said im not the only guy to make that mistake.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
The Guru

Kev, did you get to Mission? Man that sucks buddy. I wanted to go to mission pretty badly, but I also wanted to work and make some money I wonder if its your injector firing coils (I'm not a CR guy sorry). I have my fingers crossed that its not the motor buddy. I do have a low miler 01 short block available. I guess I don't need it any more
Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 PM

I was hoping to make it to Mission too and see Kev's truck run Even went so far as to buy a seat sale ticket!
Had to cancel and get a refund cause I couldn't get all the way home in time for work Monday....

About those gates Kev, if you still have boost going to the BOTTOM port of your gates that will only help to push them open. Unless you put some boost or drive pressure in the top port to hold them closed.

I'm still trying to decide on port pressure configurtions: drive pressure bottom, secondary boost top like Mike suggests, OR regulated primary boost bottom, regulated secondary boost top like some others do, OR, drive pressure top, regulated boost bottom like Chris at ED said they do theirs.[shrug]

Quick Reply: Truck almost fired tonight,,