ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Smoke, lots of white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke, lots of white smoke

This morning when i started up my truck, she blow a steady stream of white smoke. At first it was alot of smoke, but after 15 mins i couldnt see it any more. Could this be cause i just changed my oil to 0-30, or are my injecters hooped. this morning was the first time i had seen it so thick. Any help guys????
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM
The Guru

What did the smoke smell like? Are you using any gycol (antifreeze)? Mines a nice pretty bluish grey. I have to park the truck away from the house when its idling. I can smell the diesel smell inside my house.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like injector troubles to me.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 PM

possible open injector or blow a tip off, will get you tons and tons of white smoke. if you run water through your injector. that'll blow a tip and fast.......like what Im saying is is you're running rig diesel. there can be so much water that your separator can't handle it. and some can get through and bust a tip.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off if this is your 06 change your oil from the 0w30 to a
5w40 syn (winter) or a 15w40 dino(summer) this is what Cummins Recommends for the CR engines.
Next what were the temps over night down there?
If they were below zero then white smoke on these trucks is normal at start up.
If it followed you after you started to drive and was excessive then you probelly have a problem.

If your running questionable fuel. I recommend you buy a 2 micron water seperator and plumb it in after your factory filter. (cost about $60 plus a mount).
Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Well it was border line plug it in or dont and see white smoke. so last night i plugged her in and this morning no smoke on start up. It only seems to smoke when not plugged . i guess this weekend will be a test, -27 down here but thats not including our horrible wind we get.

03ant a hemi, your telling me that i should turf the 0 30, and go with 5 40, can you give me a good reason. I run 0 30w in my rig equipment (detroit 60's and 50's)every winter with no issues. Im just curious, i dont want to fry my truck if it's wrong.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 06RED-BARON
Well it was border line plug it in or dont and see white smoke. so last night i plugged her in and this morning no smoke on start up. It only seems to smoke when not plugged . i guess this weekend will be a test, -27 down here but thats not including our horrible wind we get.

03ant a hemi, your telling me that i should turf the 0 30, and go with 5 40, can you give me a good reason. I run 0 30w in my rig equipment (detroit 60's and 50's)every winter with no issues. Im just curious, i dont want to fry my truck if it's wrong.
ine is the same way if you dont plug it in. And ues 5w40 and 15w40 is what i run in my truck. Also I think the 0w30 is still a good oil but is to light in my mind. I think this would cause problems down the road. I just run what cummins recomends as they build the motors.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:40 PM

That's true, i guess ill be changing it back, but what do u guys think of synthetic oil. Whould royal purple be a good choice. 15-40???
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 30w oils do not hold up as well to the heat and shear pressures excerted in the CR engines. Cummins recommends 5w40 Syn for cold temps and 15w40 conventional for warmer temps.
I just had my oil changed with 5w40 Delo syn for the winter now.

Good to hear that pluggin it in solved your problem.
You will know that you have an injector gone cause your milage will go down substantially, and you will notice a lack of power on accelerations but not while cruising. With the way the temps are you will see a steady amount of white smoke even after it is warmed up.
Of course if you have a leaky injector your crank case might fill wil oil.

Watch out on your rig equipment if you get newer motors. We use to run 30 weight all the time and then we got a new motor 60 series and filled her up with 30 weight, anyways wasnt the right oil needed 15w40 caused some soot blocking problems along with some preamature wear. Sucks when you are down for something simple as using the correct oil.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM

That's true, i guess ill be changing it back, but what do u guys think of synthetic oil. Whould royal purple be a good choice. 15-40???
How much is the Royal Purple stuff? I just picked up Valvoline Blue 5w40 from Cummins, was $34/jug, which is a hair cheaper than the Rotella Syn I used to get. Cummins also has a filter designed for syn oils too, supposed to filter a bit finer than conventional. I've ran synthetic in my truck since the first winter I bought it, and just switched to it in the 12v. Makes cold starts much easier. Tomorrow will be a good test for anyone still running 15w40 methinks.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:53 PM

Tomorrow will be a big test - 35 with wind chill. do u know what filter number that is? Im not sure on price of the royal purple yet but im going to find out tomorrow..

Thanks 03...Im going to look alot closer to my rig equip motor's, just double check...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:13 PM

I think it was 3894, I'll try and dig out my reciept tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 PM
The Guru

The truck should start ok. Just plug it in. The 5W40 oils are the best. I've started my truck running these sticks at -30c without plugging in. It can be done, it isn't pretty. The truck will miss and smoke likes a semi regardless of what oil you use. I buy oil by the pail and I get two oil changes to a pail. I use the petrocanada 5W40 full syn and it’s around $120. It coats the under carriage nicely and acts like a rust inhibitor
Old 12-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
The truck should start ok. Just plug it in. The 5W40 oils are the best. I've started my truck running these sticks at -30c without plugging in. It can be done, it isn't pretty. The truck will miss and smoke likes a semi regardless of what oil you use. I buy oil by the pail and I get two oil changes to a pail. I use the petrocanada 5W40 full syn and it’s around $120. It coats the under carriage nicely and acts like a rust inhibitor
My dually also is equipped with external lubrication and rust proofing. $120 for a 5 gallon pail is a good price. My 12L comes out to $100.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:46 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Tomorrow will be a big test - 35 with wind chill. do u know what filter number that is? Im not sure on price of the royal purple yet but im going to find out tomorrow..

Thanks 03...Im going to look alot closer to my rig equip motor's, just double check...
I am new here and don't want to ruffle any feathers but...
Just so you know, wind chill only affects your skin. You should choose your oil weight based on actual temperature. I run Amsoil series 3000 5w30 with dual filters, gets to -28f here in Wyoming and she cranks right over in the morning without pug in. Up in North Dakota we are not always able to plug in at the rig. Last year the temp was -48 and mine did just fine. 12 quarts and filters is $140.00.

Quick Reply: Smoke, lots of white smoke