ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Mouse poison

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mouse poison

I'm on the war path with the mice in my garage and yard...Found out the neighbor was feeding these dam pests because they where cute....

Now the area is infested ...First time in 16 years..Trapped a few and now they got smart and are able to get my bate without springing the trap..

We use to use warfen on the farm,but heard that mice have heart problems and now they are immune to it.....

I need some hardcore mouse poison...What are guys with farms and acerages using for mouse poison???

Last edited by BC847; 10-31-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Language
Old 10-30-2010, 02:30 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried a water trap?

Get a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water, put 2 holes in the top for a dowel to go through, the dowel has several arms that the bait (peanut butter works great) attaches too when they go out on the arm to get the bait the dowel rolls and into the water they go..

Leave a stick against the bucket so they can get up to the top for their swimming lesson

Or you could place the bucket in a hole.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to local your hardware store and get the bars of bait in parrafin wax. It used to be call 'Bar-Bait'. I know they sell it at Home Depot but I can't remember the name. I live just SE of Calgary and my first year here my barn was infested with mice. I eventually got cats but for a couple of years there I used bar-bait and it worked VERY well. The mice love the parrafin so much that they will chew through the sealed package to get at it. The other good thing about bar-bait is that the wax keeps the poison concentration that if a stray cat or dog gets into it, they are a lot less likely to get killed but it is still strong enough to kill the mice. Buy a half dozen boxes and put the sticks all around the foundation inside your garage. You should get them under control pretty quickly. Also, if you have things like grass or bird seed in your garage or house, put them in sealed pails or Rubbermaid tubs to get rid of the food source for the mice.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cats I live in 104 year old house not one mouse. Few cats out side clean the whole darn neighborhood
Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should have mentioned that if you have a real mouse problem, throw a couple of sticks in each of your vehicles as a preventative measure. The wee buggers will make a nest inside your seats or in the ventilation ducts in your vehicle. I had that happen before I got things under control and it was NASTY!!! The smell just about killed me and it was a PITA getting into places like the casing around the heater core. That is a perfect place for a mouse to build a nest.
BTW - thanks for giving this newbie a topic that he could finally contribute to in a meaningful way.

Last edited by Tallguy67; 10-30-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: bad typing skills
Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM

Shoot the neighbour before you do anything else !

Not mouse related but a guy I work with takes care of magpies that land on his garbage can with 50 000 volts
Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
krh

i like the bucket trap idea. never heard that one before.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 PM

Cats # 1 for mice----Second,Home depot has the electronic buzzers that emit a light hum you plug into an outlet(shaped like an egg ---found in the same section as poison),20.00 bucks for 2 ---I can hear it up close but it prevents them from staying around---kinda drives them crazy/irritation.I have 6 of them at my lake property plugged into a wide area around my trailer/bunkhouse/shed/deck(s).THEY WORK and each one is good to about 400SQFT.When i first bought this place it was virgin land/grass/trees--- mice everywhere,became tired of using traps as they where filled every weekend, now these---no more mice at all and the traps are still there but to be honest i have yet to catch another since these were installed.Word traveled fast thought-out the neighbors as everyone has at least a few at each place installed now and no more problems.My 2 cents.DW----- PS dad/sister even has some at the farm now too as a local fox/coyote wiped out 1/2 dozen cats this year so these will have to do until more kittens arrive.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 AM

i am having the same problem this year dave
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 AM

The bucket trick works great, mines abit different thou. 2.5 gallon pail, antifreeze & water, welding rod thru a tin can. Mouse runs up the stick, hits the tin can, spins falls in. The antifreeze masks the smell, as water doesnt. Must catch a mouse or 2 a week in the combine shed. Pretty much maintance free, other than picking them out. Dryer sheets work good to, had them in a camper.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 AM

Wilson Predator rat and mouse killer comes in block form. we get ours at the Co-op. the little suckers dont have a chance.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 AM

Im sure UFA has some good stuff if you have one close.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 AM

If you have mice in your vehicles, use traps. Don't really want to poison them so they can go find a nice crevice to die in and stink up your truck. My mom picked up a mouse or two in her truck in Sask this summer. Trapped them. Then I found a dead mouse on the fender of my dually. Interesting fact, a dead mouse will stay on the fender of a truck to well past 170 km/h.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by roxxx
Cats I live in 104 year old house not one mouse. Few cats out side clean the whole darn neighborhood
Even the cat poop if you put it in places around the yard no pests would come near the yard.
Mife's aunt does that, we got a cat when we got mice,now he's missing, hear the neighbours next door just opened up a restaurant. Anyone had vietnamese recently? What did my cat taste like?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Shoot the neighbour before you do anything else !
What he said. Was about to ask are you serious about your neighbor feeding mice cause they're "cute"? You should get her a rattler snake as a birthday present, she's gonna love that

Quick Reply: Mouse poison