ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Most fuel efficient 4wd truck......

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most fuel efficient 4wd truck......

Just wondering what you guys think would be the most fuel efficient 4x4 truck out there. Still has to be oilpatch tough, but also looking for good fuel economy. Gas or diesel.

Been looking at Toyota diesel hilux and also stumbled across a diesel Nissan frontier crewcab with this engine..... It is the indestructible NISSAN TD27T engine, a turbocharged 2.7L that gets 30-35mpg city-hiway, mated to a 5 speed manual transmission. Of course these are those right hand drive trucks imported from Japan. What do you guys figure?

This one is from your own back yard..... Seems like a nice ride.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ130309627
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 AM

The Only Problem With This Truck , Is Alot Of The Parts In It You Can't Just Buy From , Parts Soruce . Or Parts Stores , Napa Can Order Them In Most Of The Time , But If Not It Dealer So I Have Found , So When It Does Brake You Are Without A Truck For A Week

My 2 Cent
Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
The Guru

You can't really carry anything or tow an heavy trailer. I need a do all truck, fuel mileage is second. It would be good in mud and for an well head operator. My truck just sinks on the back roads, might have to put a winch on the old girl. Its funny as most patch guys have gone back to gasers at least where I work. Typically I have one of the oldest trucks in the yard.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM

it maybe the oldest truck there mike but it's always there lol not at the shop
Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are a nice vehicle, I LOVE that concept. Decent sized vehicle, good power and real decent fuel economy. The only issue is the right hand drive and parts availability. Over here, they are talking about legislating the right hand drive vehicles. I've been almost run over twice on my bike because the right hand drive cannot see when they pull out of parking spots.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM

Awesome truck - but right hand drive sucks. I have a hard enough time with left hand drive.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The old saying... When in Rome.. That truck has too narrow a track and won't ride in the same wheel ruts that are there in snow or mud, I also have a Landrover about the same track and it's ok if you are breaking the trail but try and follow a full size vehicle track. That truck is not designed to carry much or tow a heavy 5ver or gooseneck like a North American full size truck.
As for "patch" guys going back to gas.. Brother in laws company never did go to diesel and have always used gas. He does a tremendous amount of miles on horrible roads but they figure the difference in price buys an awful lot of gas.
I sold my 5ver flat deck the other day to an oil patch guys with a CTD 3500 dually, we were standing there talking when there's a noise like an aircraft APU starting up, sure enough he's got an aux heater that runs on diesel. A gas truck starts easier in the cold, but if you keep the diesel warm it.s nice when you get into it.
I think a CTD std trans, a solid front axle with manual locking hubs would be the way to go for best fuel economy and still have a "real" truck.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 PM

It really depends on how hard Swampy uses his truck and what he does with it. Toyotas are pretty tough but load them up or use them real hard and Im not sure how they will stand up - Im sure John sees some pretty bad lease roads up there too.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Yup, typical oilpatch mud and rough roads. My 04.5 has really been awesome, and I will probably keep it anyways for hauling the heavy stuff and family vacations with the travel trailer and back up, so if I do make a purchase something else it will strictly be a truck for work. I have not done enough research on replacement parts availability and the right hand drive does not excite me..... So I don't know what is good out there. Just wondering if anyone has a magic truck! The guy who I operate with has an 2009 tacoma with the 4 cyl. He gets maybe 24 or 25 driving the exact same roads as me and I am getting around 18-19mpg. In that instance I will pay the extra for fuel and have about 3x the HP and 4x the torque and when I smash a moose I have a better chance of winning! Maybe I do have the perfect operator truck. Been using it for 5 years and 350,000 kms.....

Guess I am getting the new vehicle itch and nothing suits my needs except for these darn right hand drive imports what I really don't want unless the pro's really outweigh the cons.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
The Guru

I fix that itch, buy thinking about all those payments that I have to do, to make the same money as the old truck. If things are slow, which they are right now, I have no payment. and that nice feeling stays only nice for so long. I have an 08 hemi truck, its been beat as well. Makes nice winter beater and its half price of the diesel. I thought that the hemi power wagon would make nice operator truck/work truck and its cheap.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a neat truck, especially with a diesel, plus it's unique, but...

- it wont' haul or tow much..
- it likely has very little power
- parts?
- RHD?
- won't handle very well.. short wheelbase, narrow track
- I wonder if it's designed or can handle cold weather?
- It's too pricey to take off road & likely has typical Japanese light duty trans, transfer case, diffs...

So what would you use it for? Commuting? Wife's daily driver?

Last edited by StealthDiesel; 10-09-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am of the same opinion WRT to the track width. At my former employer we had full size trucks and they were frugal and bought a Mazda/Ford Ranger, 99 I believe. It had good power but was absolutley useless on the gravel and rutted roads. Fighting from left to right rut and it would be choppy on wash board, not enough weight. Dangerous really.

Stick with the ol heavy diesel IMHO, thats what I did..
Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Maybe I will just stick with what I got. Always said if I was going to buy a new truck it would be the exact same thing. 3500 4x4 long box 4 door with a diesel. And like Mike says, this one is paid for so I might just keep running it till something major happens and it makes no economic sense to keep...... Guess I will still be waiting for a 1/2 ton diesel that gets 35 mpg.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
The Guru

Don't get me wrong, as I want a new diesel 3500 4X4 truck.but for fun truck. They have some smoken deals on new wheels, I just can't do a payment right now, so I come up with excuses.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Here you go Swampy-remember it's only money! http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/j8_milspec.php Somebody supposedly either has just introduced or is just introducing a JK half cab hardtop. Guaranteed you'd be the only guy around with one.....

I've kicked around various options in the last few years (did you know there's a kit made to put a VW diesel in a Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker?). Right now my diesel is the backup truck for work-running a Dakota. The engine is in sad shape, but it still manages around 17 operating. That's about all I get with my '01. The Dakota is cheaper to fix and I don't feel as bad about beating on it.

Quick Reply: Most fuel efficient 4wd truck......