Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   ABDTR #5 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/)
-   -   Coolant System Flush? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/coolant-system-flush-294113/)

Dr. Evil 08-29-2011 09:39 PM

I am LONG overdue in doing this on both trucks.

Doj Dewd 08-31-2011 11:52 AM

hey joe,

i just did my truck a couple years ago with the full flush/clean procedure but one of our cars is overdue for a good coolant system treatment as well.

i called a little private shop here in okotoks to ask them about their procedure and - what do ya' know! - they do the same procedure as discussed in this thread. he also prefers not to just filter/cycle in new coolant.

they drain the old, replace with a flush/cleaner, run at temp for a while, then re-drain, flush with water until clear, and then replace with appropriate coolant/antifreeze.

the shop is called 'miller automotive' here in okotoks 403.995.8222

i have used them once before to replace a brake line on my truck after doing the GM cylinder upgrade. seem like honest guys with fair rates . . .

1-5-3-6-2-4 08-31-2011 06:09 PM

Ive talked the the miller automotive guy. His daughter was in the same dance class as mine last year. We talked some. Seems like a straight shooter.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

StealthDiesel 08-31-2011 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info Jason. I will keep it in mind.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go to a buddies acreage near Sundre to do my coolant flush or a midnite coolant flush in my back driveway or take it to a local shop like Rob W.'s or Miller in Okotoks.

Does anyone know offhand where the Cummins block coolant drain plugs are. There must be 2, on both sides of the lower block but I can't recall seeing any.

Lil Dog 08-31-2011 11:12 PM

I honestly have never seen drain plugs on the block myself. I accidentally drained mine all over the floor when the rad drain plug came right out in my face. After spitting out a liter and using the shop vac for the rest, I wasn't really concerned about the spillage. I still have a container of the old stuff in my garage and don't know what to do with it. Nobody takes it.

pistazie 08-31-2011 11:20 PM

I thought Red Deer has a free household hazardous waste drop-off program at the landfill (waste management centre)? They don't accept motor oil but they should take antifreeze....

ccmckee 09-01-2011 09:09 AM

Just dump it down the toilet J. [tapdshut] Glycol will actually feed the little critters in the waste ponds.

Lil Dog 09-01-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by pistazie (Post 3013456)
I thought Red Deer has a free household hazardous waste drop-off program at the landfill (waste management centre)? They don't accept motor oil but they should take antifreeze....

I tried that and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.. [dummy]

Thanks Chris...[tapdshut]

Tate 09-01-2011 08:50 PM

The recycling depot in Airdrie accepts old anti-freeze, as well as batteries, propane tanks, oil and filters, etc. I know that doesn't help you guys far away, but if your town has a similar recycling program, could look there.

Lil Dog 09-01-2011 09:44 PM

The city waste facility takes empty oil containers, paint, batteries etc but NO used oil or Antifreeze. I have to go to the Red Deer County Landfill for that to get done I guess. For used oil I just go back to Lacombe, they have an oil disposal at the bottle depot.

winkdemon 09-07-2011 10:39 AM

HEY JOE
i havent been on much in the last bit , i do coolant system cleans , i use fleet guard cooling system cleaner .

it you drain coolant witch i have a drum for it to go in (witch gets recycled)
put 1 gallon in for every 10 gallons is the mix in water . run engine at operating temp for 60-90 , drain out fill and dump till water runs clear , refill with coolant

the waste water goes in a slip tank that i have to pay to have removed ,

if you have any more question joe feel free to call me 403 264 1221

Doj Dewd 09-07-2011 12:19 PM

i used that same fleetguard stuff when i did mine - worked real good too!

StealthDiesel 09-07-2011 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by winkdemon (Post 3015781)
HEY JOE
i havent been on much in the last bit , i do coolant system cleans , i use fleet guard cooling system cleaner .

it you drain coolant witch i have a drum for it to go in (witch gets recycled)
put 1 gallon in for every 10 gallons is the mix in water . run engine at operating temp for 60-90 , drain out fill and dump till water runs clear , refill with coolant

the waste water goes in a slip tank that i have to pay to have removed ,

if you have any more question joe feel free to call me 403 264 1221

Thanks Rob, appreciate the info.

I can't find any block drain plugs at all on the Cummins so my method of flushing won't work anyway..

I'll be calling you later this fall.. :thumbsup:

k.si. 09-07-2011 08:56 PM

Just drain the old coolant and cleaning products into a bucket. Then take the containers full of product to any of the Hazardous Houshold Waste drop off sites in Calgary. Look on line, starting with the City of Calgary website and follow the links, to find the closest drop off site. And it is all easy and FREE.

Tate 09-08-2011 07:44 AM

I found a good way of doing it this morning. Drive down the road at 110 km/h and have a coolant hose pop off. Cleans out the coolant pretty quick.