ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

checking out a truck...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01.5 is when rear disks started even though my truck has them with a early/mid 2000 build date.
I don't know if it matters to you, but the 3rd gens are alot less diesel sound inside the cab. My 2nd gen it a little tooud for my liking withy gf in the truck cause she is too quite to hear.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 AM
The Guru

I went down to my local Safeway parking lot yesterday, there was an older fella asked me "So do you use that truck for any midnight shopping runs?"
I said "Ya I probably would, I really don't have much of a choice"
He said "Well, they hear you for a mile away""And you'll get caught"

I like the clanky-clanky sound of the VP. I just put in $500 of sound deadener into my truck. I'm not close to being done yet, but the difference is pretty awesome. I think that I dropped my stereo volume by 5-10dB inside the cab. I have to finish the floor of the cab and the firewall. Next is stuff for under the hood. From a few years ago, its like night and difference.

The only thing I hear now is the whine from the M-55 tires on my truck. The engine/turbo noise is a gorgeous beautiful noise and I know that it all working
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM

That's awesome mike. My truck is a lil loud too. I was thinking about the sound deadnv material everywhere, but all said and done it's nearly a grand unless you got some hook ups. I can only hear the hum of my toyo mt if i lug the truck or coast ( that's at the speed limit) up at about 125 i can really year the tires.
Also noticed my exhaust manifold bolt is snapped off a the very back, so that is contributing to the sound
Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
The Guru

Usually those exhaust bolts just drop out/fall out. Then you get that tick-tick sound. Usually when I service my truck, I go around and tighten the bolts up. The front end and exhaust manifold bolts are the worst. Tired everything, high temp locktite, new bolts, new head. The best way is to use a torque wrench at 25-30 ft-lbs and make sure everything is tight on the manifold.

The front end, I use my 3/4 drive sockets, and just do a quick twisty.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:20 PM

The AFI hood liner made my 01 a little quieter---but some days after driving the 07 i have a need to hear the the rattle of old buldogg---(nickname,personal plate).One way to made my wife hit the ceiling is drive the 01 with no tunes on,i actually do it quite a bit--she needs music over the noise---i tell her the Cummins rattle/B1-2 turbo whine is music to me.Turbo sometimes drives the dog(AMerican Bulldog-"Wriggley") a little "craaaaazy" when i spooled that bad boy up .DW
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by DWeiler
The AFI hood liner made my 01 a little quieter---but some days after driving the 07 i have a need to hear the the rattle of old buldogg---(nickname,personal plate).One way to made my wife hit the ceiling is drive the 01 with no tunes on,i actually do it quite a bit--she needs music over the noise---i tell her the Cummins rattle/B1-2 turbo whine is music to me.Turbo sometimes drives the dog a little craaaaazy when i spooled it up though .DW
Music to my ear as well buddy, some guy like that big CTD industrial sound of power, some don't. Makes you feel like your driving a real machine that can pull down a mountain. Not too many truck sound like a VP 24v truck out there today. Mines smoke a little at idle when cold.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Did you look at that '02 dually?
Yup... "low" miles on the truck... High mileage for those miles... I passed on it... Oilfield dirt road hauling (least ways, my take from looking at the rad and underside...), despite what I was under the impression of. Not knowing the owner or the mechanic...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 PM

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_L...ributes=photos,,

Not cheap, but I think it fits what you were looking for.

And just cause I like reg cabs.

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_L...otos,,priority

Looking at these prices, I did get a deal on my 12v. Can't believe I seen a '98 24v for $29k!!!! Thats the price when it was new, 12 freaking years ago!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM

I would love to put a 1 st gen body on your frame
Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Music to my ear as well buddy, some guy like that big CTD industrial sound of power, some don't. Makes you feel like your driving a real machine that can pull down a mountain. Not too many truck sound like a VP 24v truck out there today. Mines smoke a little at idle when cold.
mines smokes a bit toooo--blueish haze.-------------tree hugger/dried fruit eating/Prius loving neighbor down the street just glares when i fire it up---just to pi$$ him off more i crank the dually over toooo and grin ear to ear. .
Old 01-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Quiet trucks are over rated, I'm sure mines contributing nicely to my hearing loss, lmao.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 PM
The Guru

Dweiller, I have one of those guys up my street as well. I had to pull him out off his driveway a few times this year already. So he kinda leaves me alone. I also have diesel guy on my street that never shuts off the truck during winter. A few times his truck been sitting in a puddle of gycol in the morning. I should just drop one word to him "ESPAR". He drives an 05 common rail CTD now, but he used to own a 98.5 24V CTD truck. Everytime you chat with him he's saying something bad about the 05 and wished he kept his 98.5 24V, he never had to idle it as much. Maybe the grid heaters don't work or something in the 05.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 PM

2003 test drive

Well, test drove a 2003 with 256K on it. Nice truck. My only real concern was the "shimmy" between 80 and 90km/hr at regular acceleration. I think this was about where the OD in the auto kicked in. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, have posted this (above) question in the general forums, so not sure if this would be considered impolite... I apprciate the Alberta input, but am willing to listen to the knowledge of others too...

To those that asked for pics of the old truck... I promise they will come. Trying to get the new truck, get set for holidays, and working at weird hours... if you have specific pics you want, please let me know, otherwise you get what I take...
Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 AM
The Guru

Still can't beat that rattle-rattle of a VP truck. Wow, people really look at you differently. I drove my truck around down town Victoria tonight. I think I have the biggest truck in town here I can't beleive how much more responsive these trucks are at sea level. I can spool my turbo like now. I can smoke the tires for 20-30ft off a set of lights.

My vote still for a 2nd gen VP truck, man these trucks are a blast to drive.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 AM

yeah... but I need/want the quad cab for four adults... I like the 12valves myself, but... that may be cause it's the only cummins I've owned... till this next truck...

Quick Reply: checking out a truck...