ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

ATV loading ramps for into the back of my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATV loading ramps for into the back of my truck?

I bought some junky ATV ramps for my truck last week. I have a quad honda 500 something 4X4. I have already bent the ramps and the end support. I don't get very good traction on them either. I have a mild lift on the truck so its a pain to load the quad with the shorter ramps and kinda of scarey.

I was hoping to find some decent ramps at a decent price. I was thinking about building them but I'm lazy.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM

I have a set of ignition ramps, and they are great. i drove my side by side up them with no problems,, made out of aluminum, great product,, I think that Canadian tire is handling them now too,,, I bought mine from Custom Truck when I worked there
Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM

i got a bunch of aluminum at my place for my sled deck, i could build you a set at metal cost depending how fancy you want them.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got the curved set from Princess Auto. $174. They are listed as 7ft long, nice and light. Mine came with straps to hold the ramp up against the tailgate. I ALWAYS use them as I've tried twice now without and both times the quad fell off. Got lucky both times and it didn't roll but I've decided not to chance a third.

Family friend broke her neck when working for Forestry and the quad she was unloading flipped over backwards on her when the ramps slipped off the tailgate. Fortunately no paralysis but she had to quit her job as her neck/back couldn't take riding a quad anymore.

I have a trailer that I try to use for hauling the quad but sometimes I have to put it in the back of the truck. Hate doing it everytime!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
The Guru

I have to drive my quad in backwards. Thats the only way that my tailgate will closed on my 02. My 08 hemi, the tail gate can't close regardless on which way the quad goes in. Each and every year, the trucks slowly get smaller beds and larger cabs. Its my one thing that I really hate with the newer trucks, as I use every inch in my bed for work (go figure someone actually using a truck for work). I might have to buy a long bed, but then I can't park it into my garage then(they only build 24 by 24 garage). Its like they expect everyone to drive smart cars these days.

The primary reason why I'm buying a new truck, as next year the cab gets bigger and the bed is smaller.

Who thinks of this stuff. Its like trucks are more cars than truck these days.

I took a tumble when I loaded up my quad on the weekend. I'm lucky that I'm slow/sluggish and bounced good off the ground.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 PM

I bought a set of trifold ramps from princess auto and loaded my sled many times with it, and they didn't bend. That's pretty suprising you bent them so easy, considering me and my sled ain't light. I finally stoped cheaping out and just ponied up the coin for a alum sled deck, and don't regret it at all. Yea these boxes are short, I cannot stand it. Try hauling an 11ft sled in these stupid boxes!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a set of the long ramps from Cabelas. Put em through some abuse loading fourwheelers and sleds. They come with the straps to tie them on and still look like new.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you need to mount a winch in the box to drag it up, since it needs to go in backwards.Princess auto has always got the ATV winches for a decent price.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Mike,

I will see if there is a phone # on the ramps I have. No tailgate straps and I have litteraly loaded and unloaded my quad hundreds of times in all kinds of conditions (mud, snow) etc and have never had a problem....... And I also have a bed box of tools that goes the full 8 feet with slide out drawers that I have to bounce up on every time.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 AM
The Guru

Thanks guys, I thought that I was stuck with these awful el-cheapo ramps and I too cheap to buy a ATV trailer.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Thanks guys, I thought that I was stuck with these awful el-cheapo ramps and I too cheap to buy a ATV trailer.
I have probably one of the heaviest quad 500`s on the market(ACat)and I have yet to bend the ramps from everyday use.I was one day backing out of the trailer with it and had to turn and the front end dropped offthe ramps(only dropped a foot)it did put a small kink into it.
To change it up a bit where do you ride?I wouldn`t mind finding a few trail riding folks.I want to check out riding in the Coleman area sometime before winter sets in.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 PM
The Guru

Right now I've been riding out in Rocky area. Down west of cow lake area. Lots of trails available. I might try Mclean Creek and Waiparous Creek this weekend coming up. I might do a ride in a month at Blackstone area. I guess there are a few rides that you can go above the tree line. I have two cousins from the Ponoka area
Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 PM

Smile

I`ve ,riden out in the Mclean cr area and t got lots of trails,lots of muskeg,and hills.Some great views to.Ive also ridden in Medicine Lake area just w of Rimby.Its ok,fair bit of muskeg.Once out at Chambers Cr w of Rocky .I just want to check out Coleman there is a downed military plane from the early years sounds interesting to see.
Maybe some time we could try a ride.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 AM

Mclean Creek brings back memorys, I had to recover a MLVW (military 2.5 ton) about 8-9yrs ago, some Calgary Militia Unit was doing night driving for a drivers course and they dropped it in a creek, could not get it out so they left it!! it froze in by morning,The engine was completely froze in as well!! next day I went out with two 10ton wreckers and a Military spec (read bullet proof glass) Dozer,(I dont recall what size it was) afew hours later we got it out but we used chainsaws to cut thru the ice, and when the truck finally did come out it left one of its axel complete with wheels behind, we broke a few parts hauling it out! I just came across the video tape the other day...
Sorry to get off topic, just thought I'd share....
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Mclean is CRAZY on long weekends, stay away! Other then that it is good riding, I typically goto Indian Graves, as it is about the same drive from Okotoks as it is to Mclean, and it is a lot more relaxed, as well as it is closed off to trucks, so you don't have to worry so much about disappearing into a rut.

Quick Reply: ATV loading ramps for into the back of my truck?