1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

90 Cummins Oil Dipstick Broke off

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 Cummins Oil Dipstick Broke off

My 90 Cummins Oil dipstick broke off. I can see the dipstick about 2 to 3 inches down the plastic tube. It is too far down to use needle nose pliers and a screw driver is not working to pull the stick out.

So I removed the one bolt holding the plastic tube at the top but the tube will not pull out. Is there something else like another bolt hidden under the starter holding the plastic tube in? Also where is the best place to get a new dipstick? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Cummins has dipsticks. I just bought a replacement last week. P/N: 3916850 at $49.44.

I believe the tube is just pressed into the block. Have you tried sticking a pencil magnet or any kind of magnet in the tube to retrieve the dipstick?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM

There's a clamp at the bottom of the tube. loosen and slide it up, up very high, and heat up the engine before pulling the tube off. it is a looong sleve it is inserted to down there.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ClassA4x4
There's a clamp at the bottom of the tube. loosen and slide it up and heat up the engine before pulling the tube off. it is a looong sleve it is inserted to down there.
So I probably need to pull the starter to get to the clamp right? I can't even see the clamp. Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Snap-on makes an extractor if you borrow one, but it should come out without that.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Not sure if you have a surplus store in your area if you do see if you can find a set of surgical tools. They come in various lengths and are great for reaching in to those tight spots. They lock when you squeeze them togther.

This should get the dip stick out easily.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by trailduster440
So I probably need to pull the starter to get to the clamp right? I can't even see the clamp. Thanks
Try it without taking out the starter. You maybe able to squeeze a plier there from under the truck, depending on the size of your hands :-) The clamp is one of those spring clamps. The important thing is heating the tube before you pull, and slide the clamp at least 3 inches up, or you won't be able to pull it out, even with the starter out.

Another option for you is drop the oil pan just an inch or so, just on one side, and slide up the dipstick from inside with a plier a little at a time.ube

OK, I'll do you a favor: the easy way, thinking outside of the box way, MY WAY: cut the tube where the dipstick broke, remove the disptick, get a short 1/2 inch ID tubing (trans cooler line, power steer line, fuel line) and slide the two cut pieces inside the short piece, clamp at both ends and you're finished. Cummins sell the stock dipstick.

See my blue front dipstick?
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...2&d=1298256332
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Featherman
Not sure if you have a surplus store in your area if you do see if you can find a set of surgical tools. They come in various lengths and are great for reaching in to those tight spots. They lock when you squeeze them togther.

This should get the dip stick out easily.
Do they fit inside a 3/8 inch tube?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the plastic dipstick tube is melted over a short metal nipple that is pressed into the block. If you break off that nipple you will probably have to remove it using a punch from within the oil pan side with the pan removed.

You may be able to fish it out of there using a piece if thin wall rubber hose that fits loosely inside the tube but would stretch over the dipstick without binding inside the tube. Maybe some of that clear flexible tubing sold at the hardware store might fit?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ClassA4x4
Do they fit inside a 3/8 inch tube?

Yes, they are very thin. Assuming they're used to block off viens and blood vessels while in surgery!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the help! I got the tube off. There was no clamp on the bottom of my truck. I twisted the tube between the starter with vise-grips and worked it loose alittle until I was able to pull it from the top. It was on there tight!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the help! I got the tube off. There was no clamp on the bottom of my truck. I twisted the tube between the starter with vise-grips and worked it loose alittle until I was able to pull it from the top. It was on there tight!
i'm happy for you :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check for leaks after driving...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM

This happened on a Nissan that I used to own (yeah, fool me once...)

Anyway, their dipsticks had a plastic handle, and would break off in the tube (known issue that they'll never fix)

The solution was to cut the end off a pencil and put a little blob of super glue on the cut end, and touch it to the dipstick...pulled it right out.

On my truck when I replaced the starter I accidentally broke the tube at the block. That was fun to get out...ended up using a bolt, threading it in the broken tube and then using that to pull it out.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Subliminal
This happened on a Nissan that I used to own (yeah, fool me once...)

Anyway, their dipsticks had a plastic handle, and would break off in the tube (known issue that they'll never fix)

The solution was to cut the end off a pencil and put a little blob of super glue on the cut end, and touch it to the dipstick...pulled it right out.

On my truck when I replaced the starter I accidentally broke the tube at the block. That was fun to get out...ended up using a bolt, threading it in the broken tube and then using that to pull it out.
THAT'S brilliant! I should have thought of it :-)

Quick Reply: 90 Cummins Oil Dipstick Broke off