4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Vibration??? Anyone else have this

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration??? Anyone else have this

My truck has a vibration or shutter when a I leave a stop, its worse when empty. I had a ton of pellets in the bed and it was dead smooth. Unload and there it id. Is't enough to shake the coffee cup in my console. I have had it at the dealer and they have not seen this in the new truck and want it for a day to investigate. I would like to have some infor before they tell me they were not able to find a problem. It almost feels like a binding u-joint. 2011 Laramie 2500 4x4 auto
Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
driveshaft
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 AM

Mine will feel funny when backing up sometimes.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 AM

I pulled my dump trailer yesterday in a lot of stop and go traffic. 0-5 MPH I get a distinct shutter from a start. I will check the pinion angle tonight. It is really starting to drive me nuts
Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM

How many miles do you have on the truck?
Put the truck in neutral, engine off, chock the wheels, and with a load off of the driveshaft, see if you can find movement in the u-joint, or if they are lined up. I doubt that it is pinion angle. Maybe you have a premature failing u-joint, or there is an issue with the manufacture of the driveshaft.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:47 PM

I've had the same problem from day one. I put traction bars on the rear thinking it was wheel hop. It helped a little but the vibration at take off is still there. If I sort of roll through a stop sign and then give it gas it doesn't do it, but if I come to a complete stop then take off it's really noticeable. I'm now used to it after 30,000 miles. If it breaks I'll take it in for warranty, but I don't go to the dealer for anything but warranty because of bad experiences.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM

My 2002 does it slightly. My son the Dodge mechanic tells me it is the torque converter and it's fine. Just a Dodge thing! 260k on it and maybe he's right. hate when that happens!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by whiskers
My son the Dodge mechanic tells me it is the torque converter
If he's right I'd have that out of there immediately, these trannys are weak enough as it is without a shuddering converter ready to spew metal thru out. Worked for years in a transmission shop saw a many shuddering converter, hope thats not it for you guys mine doesn't do it, yours shouldn't either.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by preloader
I've had the same problem from day one. I put traction bars on the rear thinking it was wheel hop. It helped a little but the vibration at take off is still there. If I sort of roll through a stop sign and then give it gas it doesn't do it, but if I come to a complete stop then take off it's really noticeable. I'm now used to it after 30,000 miles. If it breaks I'll take it in for warranty, but I don't go to the dealer for anything but warranty because of bad experiences.
I thought about traction bars, and what you described is exactly what I have going on. I may head to the dealer and drive a new one because it was offered to me for comparison. I do agree if its a converter shutter it needs to be addressed
Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My truck has done it since day #1. I honestly have seen no other issues but do expect more for my 50 Grand
Old 04-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Vibration....

Just bought a new 2011 mega cab longhorn 3500 dually 4x4 loaded. I have been driving a 06 dodge mega cab dually 3500 4x4 loaded for years and has been the best truck I have ever had, no problems ever. I have had the new one for three week and it is a piece of S..t. has been in dealer 5 times for vibration, which they are telling me is normal, BULL. It also make a loud clunking noise when you let off gas at low speeds and when you give it gas again( sounds like it is going to break yoke), also was told this is normal. What happened to dodge???? I got underneath and noticed the transfer case is rubber mounted and if you grab a hold of driveshaft you can move it back and forth a couple of inches. I have been wrenching for years and my thoughts are that the whole drive train is causing these problems. Now they want me to wait for a person from dodge to take a look at it. Tried to have them take back the truck, but they refused and said I would have the trade it in for a loss. Nice way for dodge to treat a loyal customer, that bought two $56,000 trucks. NEVER AGAIN>>>>> If anyone else is having this problem, please get back with me, there is no way that I am going to drive a vibrating truck around, can only imagine how much this will vibrate when it gets some miles on it. It only has 600 now. I am going to sue if I have to.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by bigdogepisode
Just bought a new 2011 mega cab longhorn 3500 dually 4x4 loaded. I have been driving a 06 dodge mega cab dually 3500 4x4 loaded for years and has been the best truck I have ever had, no problems ever. I have had the new one for three week and it is a piece of S..t. has been in dealer 5 times for vibration, which they are telling me is normal, BULL. It also make a loud clunking noise when you let off gas at low speeds and when you give it gas again( sounds like it is going to break yoke), also was told this is normal. What happened to dodge???? I got underneath and noticed the transfer case is rubber mounted and if you grab a hold of driveshaft you can move it back and forth a couple of inches. I have been wrenching for years and my thoughts are that the whole drive train is causing these problems. Now they want me to wait for a person from dodge to take a look at it. Tried to have them take back the truck, but they refused and said I would have the trade it in for a loss. Nice way for dodge to treat a loyal customer, that bought two $56,000 trucks. NEVER AGAIN>>>>> If anyone else is having this problem, please get back with me, there is no way that I am going to drive a vibrating truck around, can only imagine how much this will vibrate when it gets some miles on it. It only has 600 now. I am going to sue if I have to.
Don't know about the other issues, but all trucks use rubber bushings on the transmission and engine mounts to absorb shock and vibration. The movement back and forth is engineered. All trucks have that movement.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigdogepisode
Tried to have them take back the truck, but they refused and said I would have the trade it in for a loss.
Your profile doesn't show what state your from but check with a lemon law lawyer. In Ohio if you take a new vehicle back for the same problem 3 times within 18 months they have to take it back, pay you for all your add ons, and your lawyer fees.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info, Fl has same lemon law. I'm giving the dealer on more shot at fixing it. I understand that all trucks have rubber bushings, but I have never seen a transfer case have that much movement. I have had alot of duallys. One thing they are telling me is that the truck has a one piece driveshaft and that is why it is making the clunking noises. There saying the 2 piece takes that noise out. Seems like there expecting me to accept it being just normal.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 PM

I got the normal speach also, I can see in the intermidiate bearing of the drive shaft that it has hit its limit of movement on the upper side enough to smash the rubber housing. I bet that is the issue

Quick Reply: Vibration??? Anyone else have this