4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tire Pressure Monitor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitor Problem

I started getting the message that I had a low right rear tire - shows 57 psi. I can't change the TPM system to the lower pressure for the rears - it just flashes and says I have to adjust the pressure in the tire. So I pump up the tire to 65 (the left rear is still 62) and it still says it's low. Drop it down to 62 and it still says it's low. Can't reset to low pressure setting at either 65 or 62 - just keep getting message that I have to adjust tire and that I can't reset it to lower setting.
Anyone know how to do a reset on these systems? I want to try that first - I'm getting tired of every time I get in the thing having some minor yet annoying thing show up as a problem...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Join the TPMS haters club....

Did you try adjusting the tires to the proper pressure, taking it for a short spin, and then resetting the light load button????
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Join the TPMS haters club....

Did you try adjusting the tires to the proper pressure, taking it for a short spin, and then resetting the light load button????
Yes, but that didn't work. Maybe the drive wasn't long enough - today I'll try a few miles. Found a post on another forum for Chargers or Challengers where someone had the same problem, and it sounded like they had to run it quite a few miles for the message to change.
Doesn't help that most gas station compressors don't go above about sixty psi - half the time I end up inflating their compressor tank with my tires!
I'll post the results when I drive it more.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM

To get the light load to work, the rears need to be around 45 psi. Otherwise, the computer won't let you go into light load mode! It's a riot. If you go over a certain amount, it assumes you want to be in heavy load mode and then tells you you're under inflated.

TO FIX: Lower the rears to around 45psi (and use light mode) OR have them over 70 psi (and use heavy mode). Anything in between is sketchy. Leave the fronts around 60 psi.

Either or. Otherwise, you'll be in TPMS hell.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM

This is the main reason I should have got a 3500. Hopefully one of the programmers coming out will allow us to disable TPMS
Old 06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
"DTR's Wormiest Member"

on my truck light load goes from 40-55 psi and anything over that will not allow u to go into light load.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by roger.t
on my truck light load goes from 40-55 psi and anything over that will not allow u to go into light load.
Interesting. For the rears, yes -- have to keep it low -- I keep around 45psi

But it does allow me to run way above 55psi on the front (at 60psi now) and still maintain light load.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
"DTR's Wormiest Member"

yes the light load only applies to the rear. front must stay around 61. if you look inside the door jam for the drivers door they give you all of the information on the settings for your truck.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM

I finally did get the warning to go off by upping the pressure in the rears to 70 psi. It still doesn't make sense that the other of the two rears was also below 65, but it wasn't flashing to indicate low pressure. (maybe because only the "worst case" flashes)
"Sketchy" is right about the logic on this system. I do like the display of the pressures, as when inflating them I was watching it go up as a guy was literally inflating it - so it's real-time and pretty accurate. But the additional warning and indication that there's a problem is goofy - how about a lower threshold before it gets all excited? Seems like 50 would be more of a concern - it didn't bother me in the least that mine was down to 57 - not big enough an issue to make me want to put a match to the whole thing...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ramtradxb
- not big enough an issue to make me want to put a match to the whole thing...
That's good!
Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by PatriotBlu
That's good!
It's been a tough few weeks lately with my rolling stock - one problem after another - many human errors not necessarily all mechanical "failures"... There are days when I want to go back to one simple vehicle that just gets me from point A to point B... I want to be able to just jump in a vehicle and go without being nagged by warnings and such. Heck, something that changes it's own oil and inflates it's own tires would be nice...
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Roger that. Well, hang in there. My opinion -- these are awesome trucks and I do everything I can to steer clear of the dealer and human intervention.

My driver's door on delivery was mis-aligned on delivery and I got out my hammer and star / hex wrenches and moved the striker out slightly to make the door close properly -- right on the dealer lot.

I trust people for stuff like that nil -- Just do it myself if I can.

But if something is grossly wrong or broken, ya gotta do what you gotta do!