4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New 4th gen owner: mpgs and first tow

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
New 4th gen owner: mpgs and first tow

MPGs: My first two tanks were 14.3 and 15.5 (empty, equal mix of hwy and city driving). On the second tank, I concentrated more on getting up to speed quickly and coasting to the next stop light/sign. Also quit using the exhaust brake, as it inhibits coasting. I drive with the fuel mileage display on the EVIC at all times, making it a game to try and keep the real time-mpg above the average mpg. BTW, the EVIC and hand calc were the same for both tanks, and my '03 would've got 18 mpg on the same driving pattern.

Towing: WHOA BOY!!!! Slow Down Already!!! OH MY Goodness!! Ok- yeah, I'm VERY impressed. It's noticeably more powerful than my '03, but not that much. The improvement is in how the transmission applies the power, and almost as importantly how the tranny working with the exhaust brake slows it down. I towed my 10,000 lb toy hauler the length of Utah and back on I-15 over the weekend. There are several 6% grades and 80mph zones. The truck had no problem with either- even at the same time I not just walked away- but RAN away from several diesel pick-ups pulling lighter loads. My only gripe is the downshift to 4th comes way too late, so I found myself blipping the auto stick to make it happen earlier*. No probem though- you ever accelerate noticeably at 75mph up a 6% grade towing 5 tons??? Nice! Ok, so I only averaged 9mpg for the towing portion of the trip- but I deserved it I guess. In the 65mph zones the EVIC read closer to 12mpg.

Oh, and you guys were right: low-end throttle response has improved since towing hot and heavy.

And yes, the kids loved the bigger back seat.

One more thing- I installed ride-rites just prior to the trip. Very nice, well worth the coin.

*I think if the driver of the RAM CTD in the latest pickuptruck.com head-to-head test would've been allowed to do that the results would've been quite different.

Picture of truck:
Old 10-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i know you are playing the mileage game but drive with the EB on at all times. Keeps the slide moving and significantly reduces the changes of being into see the dealer for a stuck slide due to soot/carbon buildup. to keep the EB from engaging while on your "coast" time, don't run with tow/haul mode unless towing as the EB will shut off at 1200 RPM so try to keep your coasting time under that RPM. TH will keep downshifting and keep your RPM's above 1200 to keep brake engaged.

get the deletes done and enjoy better mileage!

Congrats on the new truck
Old 10-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with cbrahs...

I try to drive with my EB on all the time. (sometimes i forget.)

I noticed at one point when i wasn't using it that much that it seemed to be getting weaker, I assume that it began to build up with soot.

Since i have started using it on a daily basis, it seems to be slowly getting is strength back (but could be my imagination)

I am preparing to do the deletes on my truck this weekend with 33,500 miles on it..

What gear ratio did you get on the new beast?

Enjoy the new truck.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I'm 3rd gen, but yes the 6.7 is a towing monster. It seems to flatten the mountains when we were there. Towing the TT we passed many people on the mountains and the engine brake is just as amazing. Nothing like having ALLOT less stress going down the 8% grades knowing that your service brakes have 100% life left in them.

Use your engine brake every time the motor starts. It keeps things from gumming up and having to go to the dealer to have the turbo drilled and cleaned. Also, when you can, do the deletes, my fuel economy running around empty went up by a solid 4mpg in the city and on the highway. Towing I saw a marginal increase of only .5 to 1mpg, but I attribute that to dragging the huge parachute behind you.