4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New 12 3500 Laramie Longhorn

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 12 3500 Laramie Longhorn

Welp. Done been do'd it.

Hope trading in my old 07 3500 5.9L CTD was a good decision to get the ew truck.

So far, so good. Comfort is way beyond what the 07 Lone Star package had. Even going from the full bed to the 6'4" bed. Leg room for the family is vastly improved over the quad cab. No more knees brushing the dashboard or banging up against the front seat. There's leg room!!! Whoop!

Haven't towed the rv yet. That will happen in a few weeks. The features that the Laramie Longhorn has are awesome. The navigation radio setup is equal to the wife's Toyota. Only gripe so far is trying to figure out how to turn off sound level being based on truck speed. Gets louder when the truck starts rolling. This is annoying sice the cab is super quiet and you don't need to have the volume pumped up due to road noise. Road noise? What road noise? Even at 70 there is barely road noise. The headlights light up the road like nobody's business compared to the lights on the '07. With the foglights turned on, it's like riding a barge full of Klieg lights down the road.

Sunroof is very nice and doesn't generate much noise, even on windy days at 70mph.

The features are all the same as the '11 Longhorn models, with the exception of the monotone option, which I got with this truck. Color chosen was the black clearcoat. Paint looks very deep when polished. Chrome doorhandle and mirrors really set off the truck's black paint. Reminds me of a Harley if it was in truck form.

Ride is firm, but smooth, and handles rough bumps very well. Truck bed came sprayed with a bedliner. I think the lier is something very close to a Rhino lining. It's thin, but has a lot of 'grip' to it and seems slightly softer than a Line-X type liner.

I didn't get the rear seat video, as I did not see a eed for that with my family. I don't think I will miss not having a tv in the back seat I can't watch anyway.

Seats are extremely comfortable, and the seat fans are just over the top for comfort in the Texas heat (yeah, worst of summer is done now). A/C blows ice cold air, and the dual zone settings make riding around less of a comfort hassle for the wife. Seat heaters see to work good too.

As far as power, I'm not worryign about dyo runs or anything, but stomp the pedal going down the road and the torque monster wakes up and lets you kow there's a mess of power under the hood. Makes drinking your coffee fun in the morning! Woo-hooo!!!

Not much drive time or any towing trips yet, so I will save that for later sometime.

With the 4.10 rear gear, driving in stop & go traffic or stop sign nieghborhood streets gives cr@ppy diesel mileage. About 12.8 - 12.9 so far. Highway speeds driving unloaded gives the following mileage results in double overdrive gear (6th) with the auto trans:
55 mph - ~18 mpg
60 mph - ~ 15-16 mpg
65 mph - ~ 14-15 mpg
70 mph - ~ 13-14 mpg

I've only been through two whole tanks so far, so I hope these numbers go up a little after getting more serious miles on the truck, especially after towing the fifth wheel around some.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats! Post a little more, why don't you?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 AM

I tow around 10k up and down hills. With 5k on the truck now I'm getting 10mpg.

16-17 on the highway at 70. Around 19 at 60.

I have an MP8 coming so we'll see where that goes. I'm also planning on trying a boost fooler after the MP8
Old 10-10-2011, 02:10 PM

awesome write up. thanks for the info and good luck with the truck
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You bought my truck except I want a Crew Cab....LOL The one I don't want to pay for... You have good taste... I beat it is awesome.

By the way, this thread is useless without pics...
Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
You bought my truck except I want a Crew Cab....LOL The one I don't want to pay for... You have good taste... I beat it is awesome.

By the way, this thread is useless without pics...
Put them pictures up.

Dave
Old 10-15-2011, 06:43 PM

OK. Trying to get the pic attachment figured out. Please do not sue me if it takes me a couple of tries to get it right.

On a side not, first and second loads I hauled with my new truck were chickens. Yes. Serious as the day is long. First load was a load of chicken culls to the processor then back home. Second load was three pens of cockerels and hens that went to the local county fair yesterday. My daughter won seventh place broiler pen and is IN DA AUCTION!!!! WHOOP! Ok, enough of me crowing and hijacking my own thread.

Truck so far has been been nowhere short of just freaking awesome. I had a local hitch installer that has been in business for nearly 20 years locally, and even longer if you count the parent business in Illinois, install a Superglide 18k hitch last Saturday with the super rail install kit. When I take the hitch out, I have a completely bare truckbed with only 4 holes where the pis that conenct the rails go to the frame brackets. I only have 6-1/2 feet of truck bed, so I need all I can get out of it when I need to haul a load in the pickup and not on a trailer. Also got a real nice 6061-T forged aluminun Made in USA Drawtite bumper receiver hitch and ball.

OK. Gonna post this and see if the pictures load. Here goes...cue the suspensful music...duh dUUUHHHH duhhhnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Cr@p. Need to go take care of something for a few minutes. Will try again. Looks like pics were too big. Will fix that and try again later.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 90Ag7Dodge
Cr@p. Need to go take care of something for a few minutes. Will try again. Looks like pics were too big. Will fix that and try again later.
Get a photobucket account. Its free and you dont have to upload to DTR.

Or email me the pics, Ill get em on here for you if you have trouble.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 90Ag7Dodge
Welp. Done been do'd it.

Hope trading in my old 07 3500 5.9L CTD was a good decision to get the ew truck.

So far, so good. Comfort is way beyond what the 07 Lone Star package had. Even going from the full bed to the 6'4" bed. Leg room for the family is vastly improved over the quad cab. No more knees brushing the dashboard or banging up against the front seat. There's leg room!!! Whoop!

Haven't towed the rv yet. That will happen in a few weeks. The features that the Laramie Longhorn has are awesome. The navigation radio setup is equal to the wife's Toyota. Only gripe so far is trying to figure out how to turn off sound level being based on truck speed. Gets louder when the truck starts rolling. This is annoying sice the cab is super quiet and you don't need to have the volume pumped up due to road noise. Road noise? What road noise? Even at 70 there is barely road noise. The headlights light up the road like nobody's business compared to the lights on the '07. With the foglights turned on, it's like riding a barge full of Klieg lights down the road.

Sunroof is very nice and doesn't generate much noise, even on windy days at 70mph.

The features are all the same as the '11 Longhorn models, with the exception of the monotone option, which I got with this truck. Color chosen was the black clearcoat. Paint looks very deep when polished. Chrome doorhandle and mirrors really set off the truck's black paint. Reminds me of a Harley if it was in truck form.

Ride is firm, but smooth, and handles rough bumps very well. Truck bed came sprayed with a bedliner. I think the lier is something very close to a Rhino lining. It's thin, but has a lot of 'grip' to it and seems slightly softer than a Line-X type liner.

I didn't get the rear seat video, as I did not see a eed for that with my family. I don't think I will miss not having a tv in the back seat I can't watch anyway.

Seats are extremely comfortable, and the seat fans are just over the top for comfort in the Texas heat (yeah, worst of summer is done now). A/C blows ice cold air, and the dual zone settings make riding around less of a comfort hassle for the wife. Seat heaters see to work good too.

As far as power, I'm not worryign about dyo runs or anything, but stomp the pedal going down the road and the torque monster wakes up and lets you kow there's a mess of power under the hood. Makes drinking your coffee fun in the morning! Woo-hooo!!!

Not much drive time or any towing trips yet, so I will save that for later sometime.

With the 4.10 rear gear, driving in stop & go traffic or stop sign nieghborhood streets gives cr@ppy diesel mileage. About 12.8 - 12.9 so far. Highway speeds driving unloaded gives the following mileage results in double overdrive gear (6th) with the auto trans:
55 mph - ~18 mpg
60 mph - ~ 15-16 mpg
65 mph - ~ 14-15 mpg
70 mph - ~ 13-14 mpg

I've only been through two whole tanks so far, so I hope these numbers go up a little after getting more serious miles on the truck, especially after towing the fifth wheel around some.
Can you update your mileage now that the truck is broke in (loaded and unloaded)?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Congrats on the New Truck, I may be pulling the trigger on a New 2012 Longhorn or Laramie 2500/3500 SRW Crewcab myself in a few months, I have my eye on a few trucks, I will keep my 93 also and restore her too.