4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lets See Your Heavy Duties!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope it was just snow with glare ice under it so no traction available.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM

My new 2012 2500 crew cab slt big horn

Just bought it yesterday. My first diesel. Can hardly wait for the deletes.
Attached Thumbnails Lets See Your Heavy Duties!!!-image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM

Nice truck! I dont understand the point of the "deletes" though personally, this 6.7 has plenty o power and the possiblility of 1-1.5 mpg with the deletes is not worth voiding the warranty IMO any way.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MEGA COP
Nice truck! I dont understand the point of the "deletes" though personally, this 6.7 has plenty o power and the possiblility of 1-1.5 mpg with the deletes is not worth voiding the warranty IMO any way.
Longevity. EGR is bad for the engine. It's like you breathing your own gas. Deleting puts good clean air in your engine instead of black soot.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MEGA COP
I really don't want to do the deletes but from everything I have read my truck will run much cleaner. I have decided to wait until I have about 15k on the truck to make sure there are no major problems.

Thank you for the concerns. I have the same. Lol!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 PM

New shakey

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Smile Full Disclosure

Originally Posted by Hoss
Longevity. EGR is bad for the engine. It's like you breathing your own gas. Deleting puts good clean air in your engine instead of black soot.
Exhaust Gases are the product of of a high temperature explosion (For diesels the air temperature at the end of compression is 450 to 675°C. Peak temperatures during burning are like 2030°C. http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...7202032AAzE7uc

Advancing the start of injection (injecting before the piston reaches to its SOI-TDC) results in higher in-cylinder pressure and temperature, and higher efficiency, but also results in elevated engine noise and increased oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions due to higher combustion temperatures. Delaying start of injection causes incomplete combustion, reduced fuel efficiency and an increase in exhaust smoke, containing a considerable amount of particulate matter and unburned hydrocarbons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine

During this burn all of the oxygen is consumed. What is left is some soot yes but the critical part is an inert gas. No oxygen. By mixing the inert gas with the incoming oxygenated air, you lower combustion temperatures. Lower combustion temperatures means lower NOx emmissions, which means you can advance the injection timing.

Between EGR & SCR I prefer EGR

EGR vs SCR is currently an exercise[clarification needed] in the North American transportation industry that is taking place between manufacturers of diesel powered equipment. In order to meet the standards of emissions from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for 2010, diesel engine manufacturers have had to come up with a solution to lower the NOx content of their emissions to 0.2 grams of NOx per brake-horsepower-hour (g/bhp-hr). Two primary strategies have been implemented to this point - one that addresses emissions within the combustion chamber (EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and the other addresses it after the gases are making their way out of the vehicle's engine (SCR - Selective Catalytic Reduction). The use of SCR requires the use of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) - a water/urea mixture - to lower NOx. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egr_vs_scr

Note EGR helps prevent the formation of NOx (within the combustion chamber) and SCR tries to deal with the nitrates after they are formed. Makes more sense to not form them in the first place and I do not want to be adding more fluids to my truck every day.

I should add that my 2010 has all deletes, 5" straight exhaust, H&S Intake Horn & Boost Tube and H&S Sootmaker Program and Water/Methanol Injection. I don't care about Nitrates, noise or BC (Black Carbon)
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w=1024&bih=683

Last edited by DodgeWorks; 03-11-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: PS
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Dodgeworks, nice bit of information. One point of disagreement, better to treat afterwards than beforehand with EGR. The more EGR you have the more soot is produced causing us to need the dreaded DPF. Best of both worlds would be to reduce Nox in cylinder while decreasing soot.

My suggestion add extra fluids called water/Methanol prior to injection and reduce Nox in the cylinder while creating a full burn and less soot. Old tech solving a new problem. They were using water/methanol in WW2 to reduce exhaust smoke and increase performance in planes.

Another option would be to enrich the air with Nitrogen prior to it going into the engine, problem here is it requires a bigger or second turbo to keep air pressure up to the levels the engine needs. But this process is currently being done on Marine engines which are stationary and can have larger Nitrogen enriching chambers.

I believe a combination of these two options could reduce emission and DP to the point that SCR and DPF are not necessary.

Now does anyone want to invest in the research?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM

I just want better milage like I used to get with my 06. it just seems idiotic to burn double to amount of fuel in the name of saving the environment...
I get about 12-13mpg witht this new 6.7, I got 19-22mpg with my 06 5.9. And I don't believe I should have a 60K+ dollar truck and not have a warranty.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM

Quite right, nitrogen being another inert gas (also nearly 80% of the air we are compressing with our turbos). By adding more the grand effect is simply to dilute the oxygen thereby lowering combustion temperature.

Water/meth injection has three benefits. I don't usually even add the methanol. I inject aprox 2 gallons of water an hour on the highway. When the moist air hits the combustion it immediately vaporizes into steam. a)Steam expands increasing compression. b) Converting water to steam sucks heat out of the explosion lowering once again, combustion temperature. And as an added bonus c)soot particles are attracted to and attach themselves to the water vapor molecules and are blown out the exhaust, assuming no restrictions (Diesel Particulate Filter).

I've noticed the nomenclature is getting confusing what with DPF short for the above and also Diesel Particulate Fluid.

I suppose if there is any consolation at all in regards to the mass market, Cat has said it is not going to play the game, Cummins, Duras, & International all have to compete with the necessary compromises. Fuel Economy verses Emissions, verses Power verses Noise. Some of the things they do seem ridiculous, we the owners are the guinea pigs, but the end results are getting quite extraordinary. Technology is changing so fast the dealers & mechanics (Technicians) can't keep up unless they spend half their time in school.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...60544211008590
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Here's mine after getting my new Tough Country rear bumper and running boards installed. I love the bumper but the boards hang a little lower than I wanted.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Looks good Hoss. Are those boards powder coated? How did the bumper work with your factory receiver hitch? Everything plug in light wise ok?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by staarma
Looks good Hoss. Are those boards powder coated? How did the bumper work with your factory receiver hitch? Everything plug in light wise ok?
Yes, the running boards are powder coated. I was a little disappointed with them, actually. When I ordered them I asked that they be fabricated so that they were as tight to the body as possible. I didn't want to see daylight between the boards and body. Apparently that didn't get conveyed to the shop though because there's about an inch of daylight. When I saw it I almost had them take them back off, but I didn't want to wait another month to get a replacement set. Unfortunately there's really no adjustment in them. I'm getting used to it now so it doesn't bother me as much, but I still wish they had made them the way I asked. It was a simple matter of making the hangers an inch shorter. I will say that they're solid as a rock though, so I'm happy about that.

I had to take the factory receiver hitch off, but I was okay with that because this bumper is considered a Class V hitch so it was an upgrade.

Here's some closer pics of the running boards and bumper...

Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Ok, I can see the bumper clearly now. Thanks for the update. Yeah, my Frontiers hang down too. I think I'm going to take them off and get them line-x'd though. Thinking about a rear bumper too. Looks good.

Next for me will be a leveling kit with the progressive springs in the front along with a trac bar and other mods to make it all work geometrically and with spring packs in the rear or airbags not sure which yet.

Originally Posted by Hoss
Yes, the running boards are powder coated. I was a little disappointed with them, actually. When I ordered them I asked that they be fabricated so that they were as tight to the body as possible. I didn't want to see daylight between the boards and body. Apparently that didn't get conveyed to the shop though because there's about an inch of daylight. When I saw it I almost had them take them back off, but I didn't want to wait another month to get a replacement set. Unfortunately there's really no adjustment in them. I'm getting used to it now so it doesn't bother me as much, but I still wish they had made them the way I asked. It was a simple matter of making the hangers an inch shorter. I will say that they're solid as a rock though, so I'm happy about that.

I had to take the factory receiver hitch off, but I was okay with that because this bumper is considered a Class V hitch so it was an upgrade.

Here's some closer pics of the running boards and bumper...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM

I love the new rear bumper, but I'm actually intending to take the running boards back. They're a good product, but they hang a lot lower than I want and they don't really fit the look I'm going for. I called and talked to the manager at Tough Country and they agreed to take them back with no restocking fee. Good folks. I think when I take the boards back I'm gonna pick up a 30" Rigid LED light bar from them just so show I have no hard feelings.

Quick Reply: Lets See Your Heavy Duties!!!