4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Installing fender flares on 3500 HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing fender flares on 3500 HD

Hello Gang,

Im a newbie and proud owner of an 11' 3500 HD cab/chassis.
This truck came with every option I needed except the look of a 4500. So I drove down to the dealer and ordered a set of the black plastic flares you see running down the freeway on all the tow trucks. Im thinking easy.. pop rivets and double sided tape from the factory. Nope.. looks like im going to have to do some drilling into my new truck

Im up for it but need a template before the drill bit touches paint. I asked the guy at the dealer to verify that the part number for the fenders between 3500 and 4500 are the same and he said yes? So do all the fenders come without holes and bodyshops have to drill them when a 4500 gets smacked? Confused.

Thanks for any insight.

Vinnie
Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Flares for my 03 came pre-drilled to match the same holes that my inner fender liners used. Then there were additional clips, that snapped over both the flare and fender lip.

I do not believe I would drill to install flares... that's just me. I forget what brand flares I have, the name or brand was 3 letters...can't remember what they were, they sold them in JC Whitney catalog.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the response. Yeah theres something about drilling into a perfectly good fender that bugs me. I really like the look. I called our bodyshop (I work at a dealership) and he told me that they have to do that on many fenders and they make templates. Most manufactures dont predrill otherwise they have to stock both types of fenders. Crazy. So I think I will let them have a stab at it. I told them I want to see there work before the flare goes on. I think I offended them but Im just trying to keep them honest lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Paint each drill hole.. rust rust rust...
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks Grand Geek,

The body shop says they know how to treat the drilled hole with a rust prohibitive and then paint and seal it. I think its best if I just leave it to the pro's. I can image if left untreated it would be a breeding ground for rust.

Vinnie
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM

The first flare gets installed

Well, my bodyshop foreman is hating me.. These guys had to make a template. He said measure 400 times and drill once. Should be done tomorrow. I think they cheated. They called in one of the big tow trucks and removed the flare to make the template.. works for me. Cant wait for the big reveal.

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-4500-trim-install.jpg  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Nearly finished...

I still have to order the small pieces for the bumper but otherwise its drilled and treated and installed.
Attached Thumbnails Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-flair.jpg  

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 PM

How to overcome offset of wheel

Ok.. still have the small flare sections for the front bumper but the bigger question still remains. How do I fill up that big wheel well now. The 8 lug wheel is obviously smaller than the 10 lug setup. Im not really interested in those 19" wheels and tires. If I could get the over all wheel to set out more like the 4500's it would look better. I thought that I might be able to order the steel spacer that goes between the rotor and the wheel. Its a large steel extension housing with the studs mounted in it. Im not sure that exists anywhere though.

How about a nice set of alcoa's with a different offset allowing that wheel to sit out about 1 1/2"?

any thoughts on this?

Thanks Vinnie
Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Back space wheel with adapter?

I know there are alot of threads on back spacing and offset. I wish there was a longer factory adapter. I need about 2 more inches to have the wheel in the right position.
Attached Thumbnails Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-albion-river-campground-001.jpg   Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-albion-river-campground-002.jpg  
Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Airslide
I know there are alot of threads on back spacing and offset. I wish there was a longer factory adapter. I need about 2 more inches to have the wheel in the right position.
don't ya just hate that???

Sorry I just couldn't help myself!!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Thats a whole nuther topic lol
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 PM

Thanks to Fred at wheeladapters.com I have a solution. I installed a custom built steel wheel spacer. This spacer is exactly two inches and places the tire perfectly in the wheel opening. New alcoa wheels tomorrow. Man this project was expensive.. note to file.. if you want the look of a 4500.. buy a 4500 lol
Attached Thumbnails Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-dodge-front-wheel-003.jpg   Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-dodge-front-wheel-001.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM

It's there a concern that the added wheel spacer will add unneeded stress on the wheel bearing? I would think this would make the fall apart even faster.

BTW- I think it will look great finished!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM

I dont really know how that bearing will deal with the offset. Its the same wheel so everything is moved out exactly two inches. Time will tell.
I can report that the truck tracks much better now with the offset. I was all prepared to be dissappointed in a strange steering sensation and it turns out that its much more stable. I will get some pictures tomorrow of the final product.

Thanks...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 PM

The final product.. a 3500 that thinks its a 4500
Attached Thumbnails Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-2011-dodge-knapheide-body-005.jpg   Installing fender flares on 3500 HD-2011-dodge-knapheide-body-006.jpg  

Quick Reply: Installing fender flares on 3500 HD