4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Canadian wanting to buy new 2011 in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DWeiler
Just built one on line and you are correct 70K--5/10 years out we will be paying 100K for a fancy truck,probable mortgage over 10-15 years.To pricey for me,Ford/GM is no different and higher as a buddy is buying a load Ford F-350 SRW loaded to the nutts---84K.---to rich for me as i will have to wait a year or two when i'm in the market and let someone else take the hit on depreciation.PS The neighbor is friends with the lease/fleet manager at a dealer in town so he driving a new dodge ever 3 month---i get to check out when he comes by for a beer----loaded 1/2 ton Laramie gasser is sitting at 52K now.DW
and i am beating a dead horse here but with our dollar this strong right now ..IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS WAY . as Canadians we are being raped enough !! argh !!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM

With that much of a price difference I wouldn't be too concerned with warranty.

On a side note I'm thinking about marketing my truck to a canadian buyer.

Do the transaction at a bank near the border, I drive it across for them, then catch a one way plane back.

Wonder if I could get enough more to make it worth it?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
With that much of a price difference I wouldn't be too concerned with warranty.

On a side note I'm thinking about marketing my truck to a canadian buyer.

Do the transaction at a bank near the border, I drive it across for them, then catch a one way plane back.

Wonder if I could get enough more to make it worth it?
You taking the truck across the border for a Canadian will not work. The person that buys the truck or registers it in Canada will have to clear it.
I saved 14K on my 07 Mega cab. There are several steps to clear a USA truck into Canada.
There is a USA 72hr export requirement of all paperwork before the vehicle can cross. It has to be inspected by USA Customs before it goes to Canada for importation. Then there is the taxes etc that must be paid before you can even get the RIV forms filled out to register the vehicle.

I had the big red text across the screen for my truck too.
We tried having a USA address and even tried a USA resident to purchase...it still got the warranty VOID.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM

USA Dodge

I talked to the dealer for you he said give him a call talk to Rocky. The scoop is USA warranty is no good in Canada the trucks are (he thinks identical) US spedos are MPH, with the KMPH under so you would have that inconvience. He can sell you a warranty for anywhere in the world for about $2000 he says even with that he can save you $10K He will sell it at invoice so you make the deal if you need me as a middle man you could still buy it and take it as used 1 day from me and still buy the world warranty. Let me know. North Star Dodge is 406-265-5428 if you take one off the lot they can make it quick, if you order they will want a good faith deposit.

GS
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Mine is in US MPH speedo,KPH are underneath---take a bit of getting used to but i may do a gauge overlay one day.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
You taking the truck across the border for a Canadian will not work. The person that buys the truck or registers it in Canada will have to clear it.
I saved 14K on my 07 Mega cab. There are several steps to clear a USA truck into Canada.
There is a USA 72hr export requirement of all paperwork before the vehicle can cross. It has to be inspected by USA Customs before it goes to Canada for importation. Then there is the taxes etc that must be paid before you can even get the RIV forms filled out to register the vehicle.

I had the big red text across the screen for my truck too.
We tried having a USA address and even tried a USA resident to purchase...it still got the warranty VOID.

Alright thanks for the info.

So the government lets chrysler know the truck was imported? If it was mine I'd just run it down to the states and put the Texas plates back on it before pulling into the dealer .

I might still market it that way, seems like I'd be able to get a few grand more. It only has 25K left on the warranty anyway.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:44 PM

i want to do that too there has to be away around this what if u live in us and move to canada ??? with new truck ???
Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Easy solution to maintain the warranty would be to have someone in the US buy it, then sell it right to you still new, but sold used. Preferably in a state that has no sales tax, ie Oregon comes to mind. I suspect there is one closer below Alberta. This would save the sales tax on the primary sale, then you just pay your Canadian sales taxes when you import it into Canada.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Top's Younger Twin

All the ideas set forth here about how to maintain a warranty on a Ram will not work. I almost spent the 2K for another warranty besides the factory one.
Here is the catch on that one. If you have a problem within the factory warranty mileage or age, the aftermarket warranty will do nothing to assist you. The only time an aftermarket warranty will assist is when your factory warranty limits are met. And then they will run a VIN check of their own to see why you are trying to process a warranty claim and when they see that it was imported to Canada and the factory warranty was VOID...they will refuse to pay as well. You can call the aftermarket folks and ask.

In addition to that, we looked at buying a truck in my brother's name and taking it to Canada. He is a USA citizen. It gets dicey. If there is an accident or warranty issue, and its out of country, the vehicle gets flagged.
Do your homework very carefully on this prospect as the loopholes are virtually non existent and the ones that are out there have some big gray areas that can create more havoc and costs then just buying and accepting there is no warranty.

As far as I know even a used vehicle from Chrysler that has ANY remaining warranty, will get VOID as soon as it crosses the border.

Be wary.

I am still glad I purchased mine out of the USA knowing the warranty was void. The savings were worth it and the truck is one of the best I have owned of the 26 Rams since my first Cummins in 90.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM

There was a time in the 90's when the dealers here where buying new out of Canada and bringing them down here. I imported a new 2004 Yamaha WR450F. It was easy, but no warranty anyway. I have a 98 Chevrolet K1500 that was imported by a dealer from Canada. I bought a 2002 Kawasaki KLR 650 from a dealer, it was also imported from Canada. This went on a lot through the 90's and into the early 00's. I think the exchange rate being weaker for us is why the Canadians are buying down here. If your in Alberta, fly into Spokane WA, use the shuttle service, head to http://www.davesmith.com Dodge in Kellogg Idaho. They do a real nice BBQ in Saturdays, all day long all you can eat. Burgers, baked beans, salad, drinks... I just bought my truck from them last fall. Wholesale! 38K!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Top's Younger Twin

I shipped hundreds of Harley's to the USA when I had to pay in the range of 1.67 to 1.44 CAD for a USD. When I would take a load across at Sweetgrass, I would see semi after semi loaded up with new trucks from Canada.
But now the rules of some of the manufacturers have changed. It makes no sense. Even the Canuck dealers are buying US rigs and reselling up here but very little Chrysler product.

Not much in the way of price adjustment and the reasoning behind it...we will pay.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM
The Guru

The dodge warranty is a joke anyways (at least in here Alberta), I wouldn't want one of those dealer pretend mechanics wanta be working on my truck. When I bought my truck I had to sign a form for my warranty. I told them to shove it, the warranty was worthless. If I had the cash I would buy down south and do the extra paper work at the border. I don't know if you have looked on ebay, but there are dealers that work with canada buyers. Must have had four recall notices now for the 10, nothing worth taking the truck back for yet.

My old dodge never had any recall issues.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 PM

k here it is i phoned dodge and told them that i planed on going to work in usa and i planned to buy a new truck while i was down there. but i said i might lose my job in 2 months i asked if i came back to canada if my warranty was any good they said NO but.... if my job lasted 6 months and lost my job i could apply (fill form out) for a my warranty to be good in canada but its up to them to decide. she told me that it would be a whole move !!! like family move lololol!!!! so there might be hope yet ???i was thinkin to buy in a american address and lisence it in us for 6 months but come back to canada and then drive to boader tell them that i am movin to canada ?? heeeeellllllppppppppppp MAYBE???
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Month or so ago I bought a 2010 mega 3500 Laramie with everything but nav & the back up camera for $55k & change In Alberta. Yeah the truck stickered for 70k, but with the 9k+ rebate and a little wheeling & dealing it dropped 15k. I could of got the 2011 for 2500 - $3000 more. Not sure what they are going for south of the border, but I thought 55 ish was fair considering my '05 cost me 52k
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jodrt
k here it is i phoned dodge and told them that i planed on going to work in usa and i planned to buy a new truck while i was down there. but i said i might lose my job in 2 months i asked if i came back to canada if my warranty was any good they said NO but.... if my job lasted 6 months and lost my job i could apply (fill form out) for a my warranty to be good in canada but its up to them to decide. she told me that it would be a whole move !!! like family move lololol!!!! so there might be hope yet ???i was thinkin to buy in a american address and lisence it in us for 6 months but come back to canada and then drive to boader tell them that i am movin to canada ?? heeeeellllllppppppppppp MAYBE???
How much is canada going to charge for import tax, registration, etc.?

Quick Reply: Canadian wanting to buy new 2011 in the U.S.