4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Canadian wanting to buy new 2011 in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian wanting to buy new 2011 in the U.S.

hey there was just wondering if anyone knows of a dealer that would sell a new 2011 to a Canadian ? a Private message would be great if anybody did.. would be willing to travel ..
i have a hard time spending over $10000 more on a truck when our dollar is now 3 cents stronger ..

Gary
Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 PM

Any dealer will sell it to you, as long as you have cash in hand they probably wont turn you away
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that Dave Smith in Kellogg (Idaho) deals with a lot of Canadian customers since they're so close to the border. You might want to try there first.

Kris
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by HMX-1
I know that Dave Smith in Kellogg (Idaho) deals with a lot of Canadian customers since they're so close to the border. You might want to try there first.

Kris
LOL ,
funny you say that that was one of the dealerships i phoned about buying a new 3500 larmnie , and it would be paid in cash , but i guess they are not interested in going the extra mile for a "cash sale "

Gary
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Cash deals are not great deals for dealers......they have to report them to LE/IRS (paperwork) plus they make more money on kickbacks for financing etc.........
Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

A lot of the dealers in the US that used to sell to Canadians have been halted by Dodge to do so. All warranties are void on the import on both sides of the boarder. I looked into this a couple years ago and it was getting harder and harder to find a dealer to sell to a Canadian Citizen as they have to supply the export papers to the boarder.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I must admit the Canadian prices are ridiculous, I have been shopping for about a week and $70ish for a Laramie is just nuts. I too thought about crossing the border to buy, there is the paper work but that's only one part. If you bought a top of the line truck with all the options there's a lot of electrical things to go wrong. I read on here about guys having sat radio problems, lighting problems, the fancier the truck the more to go wrong. I have always been a basic truck guy, pwr locks yes but no windows, give me the roll down kind and AC that's it. I don't do "warranty" you think I would be the perfect candidate to buy in the US with no warranty. Well I'm a little older and the wife wants a few more comforts which means more electronics = more problems. I spent a good part of my life fixing stuff on other peoples dollar, it was easy to order another "box" if I wasn't paying for it. So this time I'm buying local so the dealer can fix it when it breaks. The "boxes" are just too pricey.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Don't know if i would do it again especially on these fancier/bells and whistle brand new trucks but my "Not New" 07 Mega DRW 5.9( came out of the states,bought in DEC 08)---but was used(20K miles),a dealer in lower BC was bringing in low mileage trucks for mostly Albertans from the USA--all paperwork done(said he sold 70 that year to us--true or not???).-mine had no warranty.I even did a VIN check here at the dealer and big red letters across the screen "imported US vehicle all warranty void".It was a risk "but knock on wood",50000KM later ---so far only frozen batteries cause its other life was in Oregon or Nevada(no block heater cord---fixed 20 bucks later.)The same truck at the time with similar features as i looked at 3 was 50K-53K range"USED".PS ---probable be in the market for a boat soon----i will travel to the US to buy "warranty or not" cause the same boat up hear is 10K more with an even/above par $$$.DW
Old 03-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Chapter President

If they gave me an additional discount for the lack of Warranty to put into any repairs I would be more receptive.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by DWeiler
Don't know if i would do it again especially on these fancier/bells and whistle brand new trucks but my "Not New" 07 Mega DRW 5.9( came out of the states,bought in DEC 08)---but was used(20K miles),a dealer in lower BC was bringing in low mileage trucks for mostly Albertans from the USA--all paperwork done(said he sold 70 that year to us--true or not???).-mine had no warranty.I even did a VIN check here at the dealer and big red letters across the screen "imported US vehicle all warranty void".It was a risk "but knock on wood",50000KM later ---so far only frozen batteries cause its other life was in Oregon or Nevada(no block heater cord---fixed 20 bucks later.)The same truck at the time with similar features as i looked at 3 was 50K-53K range"USED".PS ---probable be in the market for a boat soon----i will travel to the US to buy "warranty or not" cause the same boat up hear is 10K more with an even/above par $$$.DW
Agreed !!,
there is a lot of warranty built into the saving ..
i bought my 2004.5 new in July of 2004 ..
i have probably done about $800 dollars worth of repairs to that truck out of pocket and about a $1200 worth of warranty work (and i probably could have been done cheap if not done at the dealership) ..
last yr i went to Oregon and bought my new Yamaha rhino in Portland w/o a hitch bought my wife's quad and my kids bike from a Yamaha dealership in Minnesota no issues (just riv forms )
i am OK with no warranty that is the risk you take on 10-12 grand worth of savings ..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 PM

North Star Dodge Havre Montan talk to Gary. I will buy it for you and sell it to you used with full transferable warranty I presume. Call them and make your best deal. Tell Gary that G Shelton sent you
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dawghlr
North Star Dodge Havre Montan talk to Gary. I will buy it for you and sell it to you used with full transferable warranty I presume. Call them and make your best deal. Tell Gary that G Shelton sent you
wow!! thanks for the offer .. that is what i have been told by several dealerships that i would have to do in order to purchase one , i just hate putting people out of there way to do it that's all ..

thanks again for the offer and i will will private message you when i decide what i am going to do

Gary
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Meh. I just can't see buying one of these new emssions-laden light duty diesels brand spanking new with no warranty. That would be a bitter pill to swallow. Maybe if they threw in a Starscan with the purchase....at least I'd have a prayer at diagnosing and servicing the truck should something go wrong with in one of the complex control systems.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HMX-1

Kris
Dave Smith can only sell you a used one.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
I must admit the Canadian prices are ridiculous, I have been shopping for about a week and $70ish for a Laramie is just nuts. I too thought about crossing the border to buy, there is the paper work but that's only one part. If you bought a top of the line truck with all the options there's a lot of electrical things to go wrong. I read on here about guys having sat radio problems, lighting problems, the fancier the truck the more to go wrong. I have always been a basic truck guy, pwr locks yes but no windows, give me the roll down kind and AC that's it. I don't do "warranty" you think I would be the perfect candidate to buy in the US with no warranty. Well I'm a little older and the wife wants a few more comforts which means more electronics = more problems. I spent a good part of my life fixing stuff on other peoples dollar, it was easy to order another "box" if I wasn't paying for it. So this time I'm buying local so the dealer can fix it when it breaks. The "boxes" are just too pricey.
Just built one on line and you are correct 70K--5/10 years out we will be paying 100K for a fancy truck,probable mortgage over 10-15 years.To pricey for me,Ford/GM is no different and higher as a buddy is buying a load Ford F-350 SRW loaded to the nutts---84K.---to rich for me as i will have to wait a year or two when i'm in the market and let someone else take the hit on depreciation.PS The neighbor is friends with the lease/fleet manager at a dealer in town so he driving a new dodge ever 3 month---i get to check out when he comes by for a beer----loaded 1/2 ton Laramie gasser is sitting at 52K now.DW

Quick Reply: Canadian wanting to buy new 2011 in the U.S.