4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

5th wheel hitches???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel hitches???

Guys, my friend's father in law has a pull rite 5th wheel hitch and I really like it. Easy install (I did most of it) and it worked real well when we borrowed his truck and trailer to do some camping. After talking to the pull rite people though they said dodge is the worst for cab to center axle distance and that I'd prolly need to use the 24k (#3600) hitch for the extra slide distance. I am curious what you guys towing a fifth wheel are seeing as far as clearance (cab to trailer) and what you guys are using for a hitch. I know all trailers are different in the front end design. My dad just got a jayco eagle 351RLSA (trailer gvwr 16k) and was planning on using my truck to tow it ( I don't mind, just means I'll get to use the trailer haha) I just don't want any cab trailer incidents but also don't want a hitch that is so heavy it takes 2-3 guys to get out. Pull rite also said that the 18k would work but could limit turn angle to 70 degrees before the trailer gets within 2 inches of cab. Help me out guys.

Brent
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM

Id say test it your self and see how close it comes to the cab and if you can live with it. I have several friends that bought sliders and never used them.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 PM

I'm assuming you've got a short bed?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I used a Valley/Husky manual slide on my '98 then moved it to the '06 when I bought it. Seldom used the slide part but it worked fine. Then, after a long day in heavy traffic and hard rain I got careless and crunched the cab corner. Since the hitch needed repair/replacement anyway, I bought a TowRite that used my existing rails. It actually fit better than the Husky and so far it works just fine. I may not be able to make a full 90* turn but it's more than close enough for all practical purposes.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 16k lb Husky manual roller for my 36ft 5th wheel, short box truck, have not had to use the roller yet, can almost turn right angle, but the front of my trailer is dished in on the corners, that makes it a lot easier.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a model 3300 Pullrite Superg;ide (16000 lb) and have had it in a 03, 06 and now a 2010 dodge shortbox and have never had any problems. Can put my trailer 90 degrees and it never comes close. Have never actually measured to see how close it comes, but there is ample clearance.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 AM

I've got a B&W fifth wheel conversion hitch in mine. It's basically a goose neck hitch, where you pull the ball out, and drop-in the 5ver plate. I like it and haven't had any issues, but I've got a long bed. I would not recommend this one for a short bed.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 AM

I had the B&W companion in my 03 SB. No issues. You put it together with the adjustments all the way back but it does depend on the front profile of your camper. Mine has the notches in the front corners and I could back it nearly 90 degrees. Now I have it in my 11 dually long bed and it works even better.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 AM

Got a B&W gooseneck hitch. Never used the 5ver hitch. Always had the gooseneck conversion bolted to trailer. Got more flex IMO for off-road traveling. No issues with short bed.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Some of the newer trailers are made with cut in edges to allow for better turning radius' with a short bed truck. Might want to check see if you Dads trailer has this. Might get you some extra room.

Myself I use a B&W companion, but also upgraded to a big boy bed and training wheels. Sorry Im not more help.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 AM

I have the Reese 18K slider and had it mounted on my 07 Dodge and did have a slight accident at a fuel stop, but damage was minimal to my cab. I have not had a problem since putting the hitch back on my 2010 short box and just pay special attention when I am backing. I wish I had that indentation that you see on new 5th wheels.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Myself I use a B&W companion, but also upgraded to a big boy bed and training wheels. Sorry Im not more help.
I learned that I need to watch my mouth, around my daughter and wife. After we got my truck home, my daughter looks at my wife and says " Mommy, why does Daddy's truck have a fat tushy?" to which my wife answers " Because Daddy needed the training wheels."
Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Built my own slider, framed it with channel under the bed and welded nuts under them so when you remove the 5th wheel there's nothing left in the bed
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM

My dad's trailer does have the corners carved out a bit. I am new to the whole 5th wheel deal and just want all the info before he goes and spends 1000 to 2000 on a hitch. thanks for all your help guys.

Brent
Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I looked at just about everything on the market including sliders. I settled on the B & W companion hitch which is NOT a slider. My 2011 shortbox has no trouble with clearance in fact the trailer pin part of the hitch will touch the side of the box before the corner of the trailer will touch the cab. At first I was unsure with the B&W as the goose ball is 5 1/2 inches in front of the axle but the companion part moves the 5ver pin aft so its actually about 1 inch behind the axle center line. With a normal hitch this would be a problem but with the companion weight is transferred down through the hitch to 5 1/2 inches ahead of the axle distributing the weight more evenly between the front and rear axles. With the b&w there are no rails in the bed and it tows very smoothly. I was disappointed in their removal and installation practices but after asking a few questions on this site I discovered an alternate method and it's been great. Extremely pleased with it and the quality is exceptional, worth every penny.

Quick Reply: 5th wheel hitches???