4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Looking to get best mpg and performance from my rig

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get best mpg and performance from my rig

Hi guys my names mike I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a 2012 Laramie 2500 and I'm looking to start modifying it to make some more power and defiantly get better mpg's. I've been doing some research on tuners and I like what the h&s mini max has to offer with the gauges and tune on the fly capability. Let me know what u guys think of it.

Secondly I'm looking into some form of a dpf delete. Is it a good start to just get rid of the dpf and replace it with the straight section of pipe most company's sell or is it better to get the whole exhaust while I'm at it?
Also do most of you guys keep you cat or do you ditch everything?

Third what type of cold air intakes are good to look into? I like the k&n style washable filters and use them on my other veichles. What works well on these trucks.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR! I'll leave the others better informed to answer your first questions, but on the K&N question I can say don't!

K&N's are infamous for substandard filtration. Seek out an Airraid drop-in filter or S & B or AFE CAI's with oiled filters.

K&N's are out there and many folks have used them. However, they also allow much more harmful particulate through the filter than the brands I mentioned.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Mini Max is great, the screen is smaller than the Black Max but it's more reliable. You can also get an overhead mount for the mini but not the black max. If you have an auto trans get the trans tune as well, when I deleted mine the trans tune code got stuck in my junk mail so I spent a couple of days without it, the trans was all over the place. If you have a standard trans just change the clutch right away that way it won't let you down, SB double disc works well but a little chatter even with the dual composite one.

Just use the delete pipe and keep the CAT but replace the intake manifold and boost tube with a H&S that way you only need a EGR cooler delete and not a EGR AND cooler delete and you also save by not having to buy the throttle valve delete. Don't forget to do the crankcase vent delete at the same time.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM

i do have the auto trans. what does the trans tuning fix vs the new tuning?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtg6486
i do have the auto trans. what does the trans tuning fix vs the new tuning?

After I deleted and updated the mini max the transmission seemed lost, undecided, looking for gears, not crisp. The transmission tune smoothed all that out, it puts the power to the road much better. If the code for the transmission tune hadn't got lost I would have installed it with the mini max and never known the difference, but I did see and feel the difference, course I shuda bought a manual like my kid did.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 PM
The Guru

Better nozzles and water/methanol kit would help increase fuel mileage 1-2mpg. Just don't go to big on the nozzle selection 50-75hp sized nozzles are good for 0.5 to 1 mpg difference.

Driving habits also help fuel mileage. Last week I did a 4000 mile trip in my old truck. I average 20 mpg, some city/wasted idling but lots of 70 to 75 mph interstate driving.

Honestly I could have done better for fuel mileage but hard not to drive 5mph over the speed limit.