4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Extreme heavy duty front bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Extreme heavy duty front bumpers

My son is looking at changing out his front bumper on his 2011, he wants something that can withstand a deer strike. He knows of one that costs around $3000, that seems a little steep to me. He told me the make I just can't remember it. Anyone have any suggestions? A 2 inch receiver built in would be nice for a winch.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpers

One of the site sponsers Backwoods Bumpers does not sell them yet for the 4th GENS as per thier website. I got my rear bumber from www.rangeroffroad.com for a decent price. They have a few front bumpers to look at.

Last edited by bdewey; 05-08-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Not sure if they make them for the current year yet but...

I have had a Denver Off Road front bumper for approx 10 years, all aluminum 3/8 and 1/2 inch so it helps keep the weight down. I hit a good size deer doing 65mph a couple years ago and outside of having to clean some hair and blood off no damage to the truck. The deer was a different story. Laynes stuff is high quality.
http://www.denver-offroad.com/

Another good option is Ruenel all steel (at least from what I have heard).
http://www.reunel.com/DodgeExtremeDu...per/index.html

Many other options out there as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Last time I talked to Evan (backwoods) he was in the process of getting one fabbed up.. We have chatted via email several times and shared pics. Can't wait to see what he comes up with as I am gettin the itch to get mine done.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Wouldn't installing a "bombproof" bumper cause an actual impact to transfer the energy to the frame, VS absorbing it into the bumper, causing major damage to the front sector of the truck's frame itself?

Not an engineer, but I thought bumpers were designed to absorb energy and prevent damage further back..

T.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Wouldn't installing a "bombproof" bumper cause an actual impact to transfer the energy to the frame, VS absorbing it into the bumper, causing major damage to the front sector of the truck's frame itself?

Not an engineer, but I thought bumpers were designed to absorb energy and prevent damage further back..

T.
The whole front the the truck is design to absorb energy, the more energy it absorbs, the less impact you will feel, I would leave bumper stock, or make sure there is a way so the bumper does not increase the front rigidity. I'm currently taking a class that deals with this, after seeing what happens at 35mph head on crash with a solid barrier it is plan scary. I'm an engineer(almost).
Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
Last time I talked to Evan (backwoods) he was in the process of getting one fabbed up.. We have chatted via email several times and shared pics. Can't wait to see what he comes up with as I am gettin the itch to get mine done.
Thanks for keeping us in mind, Chris! It should be a week or two after the FASS nationals (June 11), then it's time to start introducing our line of 4th gen stuff!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My kid went to Mexico for a break so he probably won't do the bumper right away, even after he comes back I'm hoping to get his running boards, Reese class 5 and B&W goose hitches installed before he goes back up North. Maybe backwoods might have something the next time he comes back. I'll show him the links y'all provided and hopefully help him make a decision. Thanks

As for "playing with deer" if you swerve to miss them and wreck the truck in the ditch it's your fault but if you hit the deer it's not, so you have to hit it, as it was put to me "even if you have to cross three lanes of traffic" . You come out safe the truck just gets smashed cosmetically. A head on crash with a vehicle is different, first rule you NEVER have one, always a glancing blow or take the ditch, up here the other vehicle is probably a semi or diesel truck.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM

I hit a deer when my 03 3500 was new. It done $1800 in damage. I put on a Tough Country Deluxe Front for $1300. I have hit 6 deer since then. some while running over 70mph. Zero damage to my truck. Maximum damage to the deer. If it doesn't knock them off the road it does make a lot of noise when they go under the truck. I am not sure if they make one for the new trucks yet. I will be checking when my budget allows.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
metal and hyde.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buckstop makes some great bumpers!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM

Road Armor.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by wshamby01
I hit a deer when my 03 3500 was new. It done $1800 in damage. I put on a Tough Country Deluxe Front for $1300. I have hit 6 deer since then. some while running over 70mph. Zero damage to my truck. Maximum damage to the deer. If it doesn't knock them off the road it does make a lot of noise when they go under the truck. I am not sure if they make one for the new trucks yet. I will be checking when my budget allows.
How does anyone hit 7 deer? You must be out chasing them across fields. I'd hate to have your luck anyway. Your bumper sounds like it was a good investment.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Evan can't make one soon enough for you, you can always try Road Armor, Fab Four, or Throttle Down Kustoms.

-Kris
Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM

I take it if you have one of these bumpers you cant plow snow?

Quick Reply: Extreme heavy duty front bumpers