4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Deletes and western Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deletes and western Canada

I have done a ton of research on dealing with dpf systems on both dodge and ford diesels and am left with some interesting thoughts. It seems like for a couple of scenarios (extended idling, slow off road driving, short commutes) doing a dpf delete is left as the only realistic option, and indeed, I have the pipe and the smarty sitting in my garage waiting on time to do it. In all my research here in alberta, it seems like the only people who really give a crap about keeping the dpf system on a truck are the dealers. With the company I was working with last year we spent THOUSANDS trying to get these trucks to work for us. Our answer? Gas engines.
I know in the USA the EPA is making a big fuss and fining tuner companies etc, but here? Wow. I talked to probably half a dozen people locally about the parts, all had them in stock, had no problem selling them to me and went so far as to double check the build date of my truck to make sure I had the right ME software on it.
As a class 1 driver I can tell you that pickups are not the only vehicles having trouble with dpf. I know oilfield service companies that have had CAT and Cummins powered highway tractors towed into town to the tune of 3 to 5 thousand bucks... Multiple times! The answer they came up with? Take a cat c15. Cut off the ecm, dpf, entire exhaust, turbo, and half the plumbing on the pass side of the engine. Next order up replacement parts from a 2010 c12. Bolt it all on, including the c12 ecm. Hook the batteries up and go.. Total cost is about 12 grand. Close to the same process with a Cummins but you keep the ecm. So what do DOT inspectors etc think of this? "Who cares", police about pickups? "whatever" just don't tint your front side windows!
Really, outside of the tree huggers who honestly don't really know what they are talking about with most of the things they rant about anyways... No one here seems to give a crap if you are dpf free or not.
Things that make ya go hmmm.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Take all the junk off and use the truck then when it comes time to sell reinstall it all and it's like new. Reuse the "good" bits on the next truck and repeat.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM

I did it all now getting 12L per 100km that about 20 mpg
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
The Guru

My dpf/cat filters are like brand new.

Lots southerns that enjoy warm weather don't understand the challenges that occurs during -30 deg's weather. Saw two duramax 2012 loaded onto a trailer north of fort nelson a few weeks back due to emission issues. Closest dealership was in fort st john or 4-5 hrs away. Too bad those guys didn't know about all the fixes available for a diesel truck.

Lucky for us non USA diesel truck owners, there will be low sulfur tunes or race tunes available on the 2013's trucks very soon.

As for the smarty, just make sure you have a ME programmer as if you don't you can't remove the dpf.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Took mine to the dealer yesterday and round trip was 245km. I averaged 19.5 per 100km [strictly hwy]. Now I remembered why this thing was parked all winter...pos!
This trip was to put out an engine light which was emission related. It is on again waiting on parts.

I have everything here for deletes once it proves it can be trusted....
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by juicedcummins
Took mine to the dealer yesterday and round trip was 245km. I averaged 19.5 per 100km [strictly hwy]. Now I remembered why this thing was parked all winter...pos!
This trip was to put out an engine light which was emission related. It is on again waiting on parts.

I have everything here for deletes once it proves it can be trusted....
Same here!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 AM
The Guru

I took my 2010 out for a drive yesterday. Total of 1000km. I average 12.1L per 100km the entire trip. I was hauling 1200 lbs of stuff. With the load I averaged 12.6L and coming back was 12.1L

I got 960km out a tank of 128L of fuel. I was impressed. BC fuel was $1.43 per litre of diesel

I drive my truck on mild all the time. When I deleted my truck, my truck could only get 28psi of boost. Today I'm pulling 31-32psi of boost. Even broke the tires loose yesterday on some dry pavement. I'm running 295/65/18's

Jamie, just get that thing fixed up buddy. I can't even imagine 19L per 100km's. I don't even get that poor of fuel mileage towing.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM

in theory, if your vehicle is commerically registered, the dots can fine you for tampering with your vehicle. however i have never heard of this happening. there was an article in an eastern trucker rag about deleting trucks. its was pretty pro DEF and pro Emissions. the only real arguement the writer could summon against deleting was engine longetivity, and crying about the enviroment and how deleting releases all the extra co2 that the greenies are worried about. honestly if they stopped cutting down all the trees we wouldnt have to worry about the co2 and could move on.
the one thing id love to see hit the mainstream media is how all this emmissions crap is really a scam to line some dipsh*ts pocket.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have started to inspect emissions systems in northern BC and handing out tickets to the owners and the dealerships for big rigs. They are pretty hefty fines.
It was only a matter of time that guys driving around in new semis blowing black smoke out their stacks was you going to end.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM

I kept all my stock parts for that very reason. IF and IF they start cracking down, I'm returning my 2012 to stock and selling it. I got roughly 15mpg on the highway and 11-13mpg in town. Pathetic. And for the amount of towing and hauling I do, an F150 ecoboost would suit me fine. Blasphemy I know. I'm putting my flame retardant suit on now!!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM
The Guru

Thankfully my 2010 is a personal vehicle. Worst case I just start driving my old truck into BC. I can't get a ticket for driving it, as its still EPA compliant

I couldn't imagine a fuel bill from a truck getting 10-13mpg vs. what I'm getting now last month was $1200.

Bad enough dealing with the additional purchase costs of owning a new diesel vs. a gaser, throw in awful fuel mileage, I hate to say this but there really no reason to own one anymore.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM

wouldnt surprise me if theyre trying to drive ppl back to gas.
with the price of new trucks these days its almost worth it to sink 20gs into an old wreck and build it up the way you want. at least you can tell the epa where to stick it. most of them dont remember what the rules where 10 years ago so your probably safe.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 PM
The Guru

The worst thing about my 02 is the paint these days. I'm going have to do something about that some day. I blew the transmission out it about a month ago. The valve body is sticking up pretty bad. I had it fixed for about a 10 minutes. Sure miss driving the old girl.

The 02 front end is a whole bunch more shaky than the 10 is.

I was in Creston last weekend, the price for diesel was $1.43 per litre. Tons of diesel trucks there. Going to throw in my tiddy tank for my next BC trip, cause the price of diesel gets worse the closer you get to Vancouver. Looked at my fuel bill for last month, the cheapest fuel stop was Nisku at $1.16per litre.

Any body try out a 2013 yet? Not sure if I like the dash 2013 layout that much, that big screen is too much for me and the dvd's in console.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It appears the Republik of Kalifornia keeps creeping northward...
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with all you guys.. My 08, I deleted a long time ago and enjoy better mileage, cleaner oil etc etc.. Last trip I went highway only from Red Deer to Lethbridge and back and still had about 3/8 tank (748km). About 20 mpgUS I figure. Which is a large improvement over the stock version. I know I stepped off the warranty ledge when I plugged in. But I have had Cummins for a long time and had no problem with that, I just wish I got a rebate for cancelling my warranty.

Quick Reply: Deletes and western Canada