4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

First long tow - questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First long tow - questions

Hi All,
In a couple weeks we are heading out for our first cross country tow of the RV with the Ram. We have made several 200-400 mile trips and had no problems and love the way this thing pulls. I am not deleted YET , but it just might happen before we get home depending on how things go. The Ram gets so much better mileage than the fuurd did, I'm not at all unhappy.

So here's my question - With towing our 9600lb (bumper pull) trailer and having about 2000+ pounds of my pottery and show supplies in the bed, is there any chance I might exceed exhaust temps? I havn't put a EGT gage in yet, but could if there is a reason.

We will be running in mountains as well as flatlands and will be on the road for about 12,000 miles. Is there anything I should watch for as a sign I might be exceeding things?

I have 15,500 miles on now and have changed all the filters, oil, checked everything all over - is there anything else I might not have checked or changed? With this being our first diesel truck - in this millienia - so I learn new things everyday.

I'm sure you guys knew about this, but as I was down under the truck yesterday (my wife about crapped when she saw me out of the wheelchair and under the truck ) I discovered that there is something that looks like a power steering pump that the fuel line goes to - what the heck is that???

I greased everything I could find a zirk or needle tip ball on, but did not see anyway to grease the ball joints or the universal joints on the front hubs. Are there none there or did I miss them? How about the front hubs, how are they lubed? This is my first 4x4 since I drove an Army 1/4 ton (jeep).

Thanks all,
Larry
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your truck is stock you shouldn't have to worry about EGT's unless there is some mechanical malfunction that goes undetected. Chrysler and Cummins are pretty **** about making their trucks and engines as idiot proof as possible. An EGT gauge is always a good thing, but in my humble opinion is not required on a bone stock truck. As you pump up power with a tuner it should be considered mandatory equipment. As far as owner service refer to the owners manual. It covers most things you will want to deal with.

Perhaps the biggest issues with our trucks are emissions equipment related. The EGR system can coke up the grid heater and screw up your turbo. The DPF can plug causing power to retard and hurting fuel economy. In my view the best truck is one with a tuner that allows you to eliminate or disable those systems. This will prevent many maintenance headaches and make your oil last longer too. The problem with a tuner is that it may void your engine warrantee and the Feds won't like you. Oh, also you will have a hard time keeping your finger off of the "more power" button. :/
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody with a 4th gen in this area blew past me the other day as I was heading to an onramp. He was not stock. Sounded great, nice plume of black smoked coming out the tailpipe as he was getting into it and the turbo whistle was sweet! I was ready to delete on the spot. I have not seen the the truck before or since but I'd sure like to find out what all he was running.

So, could I keep my finger out of the tuner enough to not blow it up? I like to think so, but.....

As for the owners manual suggestions for servicing the truck, it amounts to "take it to the dealership" - sure. I like $45 oil changes, not $120 the dealership wants for the same job. They asked $45 to rotate the tires. My son did the tire rotation for me and apart from my earning the "wrath of Debbie" for doing things I should not be doing (her opinion) I'm saving for the delete with every oil change that I do myself.

There are just some of the specific things about our trucks I don't know about.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Larry,
You should be OK as stock when towing. I installed my gage package before I deleted the truck and ran this way for a year and then deleted. The first year we had the truck in 08, we towed out west to Mount Rushmore and Hill city SD. I watched my EGT's climb to 1450F when I was in regen regardless if I was in the mountains and or flatland. When the truck was not regening the EGT's were 1100F towing. The 6.7L engine is designed to handle this high of a temperature. I was towing a 5er and this was 11,500 LBS GVW trailer. My entire GCVW was 18,500 LBS including myself, DW, full fuel and all of our gear.
Jim W.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can not hurt it stock. when you delete do all. egr,cat ,dpf and muffler go back with new turbo back system and get the smarty jr. also get a psm kit and a crank case vent relocation kit
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM

When I referenced service per the owners manual I wasn't suggest taking it to a dealer. The more you can tackle on your own the better.