4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fact or Fiction 2011 Cummins HO 800ft. lbs. of Torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fact or Fiction 2011 Cummins HO 800ft. lbs. of Torque

My 2011 3500 Cummins MegaCab 4X4 LongHorn High Output is my first Ram Diesel. When I found out Ram was coming out with an 800 Torque diesel engine High Output, I was going to get one. I waited and finally got one. However, I have been seeing dyno reports on the 2011 Cummins High Output engine and the numbers are falling way short of the advertised 800 lbs of torque and the hp. The lastest from Diesel Power Magazine show about 250 hp and 550 torque. H&S Performance also did one and shows 289 hp and 622 torque. Where is the 350hp and 800ft. lbs. of torque or am I reading something wrong?

Sorry for typo on heading.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel Ford, errr Power magazines numbers were low even for the stock 325/610 trucks never mind the 6.7.

You do have to remember the OEM Rated numbers are at the flywheel, not the wheels as reported on most dynos. You have to account for up to 15%loss through the drive train in direct TC lockup and up to 20% with out lockup on the Torque converter. With a 20% loss, you get 660 Ft-lbs and 291 hp just using your calculator.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 PM

Why are the torque ratings on the Ford at 702fl lbs, 624ft lbs on Chevy and 540ft lbs on the Ram H.O. The three trucks were done on the same dyno at Diesel Power Mag.? The 2011 Cummins High Output should have the highest torque rating of 800ft lbs of torque. Does it mean that Ford and Chevy have a higher rating than 800ft lbs.?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 AM

I have read somewhere that the RAMS computor limits hp/torq to a certain level for so many miles or hours, then turns it up, so unless the truck tested had 5-6000 miles on it it would be low. Dont know how true that is, and mine is not a HO, soI am just passing on the info.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you believe everything you read? If so, I have some beach front property I need to sell you. The guy behind the wheel can make a big difference in dyno numbers.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 PM

A rear wheel dyno is not a good tool for actual measurement of engine torque. Waaaaay to many variables. Especially if the power is run through a torque converter.

I agree with the above poster also. Magazine articles are nice for the pictures. Accurate info...not so much.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Chapter President

I rest my case. I have never bought that magazine and never will. Diesel Ford for sure.. 700 ft-lbs to the wheels? Ya and only 750 is was the numbers from the factory too wasn't it? They also re-invented the calculation for heat engines and combustion by making 30 mpg.

Whatever.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrett50bmg
Why are the torque ratings on the Ford at 702fl lbs, 624ft lbs on Chevy and 540ft lbs on the Ram H.O. The three trucks were done on the same dyno at Diesel Power Mag.? The 2011 Cummins High Output should have the highest torque rating of 800ft lbs of torque. Does it mean that Ford and Chevy have a higher rating than 800ft lbs.?
I have a 2011 Ford and a 2010 Dodge.

I can easily believe for put down 702 on the dyno. Seriously that torque shift is one heck of a transmission now. It is like driving a tractor with a powershift.

The best I can describe the Ford vrs the Dodge is this. My dodge with a H&Shas more power then the ford. I can pulls hills at 80 with the dodge and the Ford will pull down to 65. 0 to 60 the Ford kicks the dodges rear even thow it has less power. Has to be the transmission, the Ford shifts faster the the tq coverter locks quickly. Dodge shifts slowly and the tq doesn't like to lock

504 tq on the Dodge, I bet the tq wasn't even locked up!!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Thanks for all the response, I am wondering if these magazines are not accurate or reliable, then who is? How do we know if 800ft lbs of toque on the Cummins diesel is correct? Or do we just take the word of the advertising of Dodge 800ft lbs of toque. No questions ask.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Well, as with many things in life, eventually you will have to "take someones word for it". The engine is a Cummins, and they have quoted their numbers as 350hp an 3013 RPM, and 800ft lbs @ 1600 RPM. If you really feel compelled to double check it I guess the only other option is to pull the engine out and hook it up to a water brake engine dyno at sea level when it is 70 deg F and low humidity. Then if the software on the dyno is right, and the operator knows what he is doing, and the dyno is calibrated to a known standard, you can get an accurate comaparison to Cummins numbers. Personaly I will just take their word for it.

Even a comparison test to someone elses Duramax or Powerstroke is not going to be truely accurate to engine power. Pulling a sled down a track comes a bit closer to a comparative test, but it too, has too many variables to be really an accurate gauge of just engine power alone.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Chapter President

I will concede that the Ford transmission is a better built item and better couples the engine to the wheels. But still to have only 10% drive train loss at the wheels is a little bit sketchy IMHO.. The 68RFE is far from perfect and really needs a kick in the but to hold just over stock power. For that I am not that happy. But I will take the engine power and reliability any day (this is a Dodge site) and I have passed my share of other brands on the hills by just clicking down to 5th.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM

My question is, is your unit so small that you need to compensate with buying the truck with the most power out there. Buy the one that fits your needs, what every that might be, whose cares how much Hp or TQ one makes vs the others. JMO
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM

The magazines and videos are about as biased as you can get. Like the above post says, buy what fits your needs. Don't listen to the numbers- drive the trucks. Buy what feels best. For what its worth, neither Ford nor Dodge puts the full horsepower and torque down, other than in certain situations. They are computer managed and madated. There are only limited times when you can get the full potential.
The real world tells you who has the strongest, but even that is too subjective. Power means nothing if the truck won't hold up.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 AM

I have towed with all the new one's and went with the Dodge. Towing with the Cummins is so very nice. What the magazines don't tell you is how the towing experience is when your foot isn't going through the floor board running WFO. The chevy is peppy but towing with it sucks IMHO when compared to the Dodge. You have to stay on the pipe keeping the rpm's up to keep the chevy happy all the while the inline 6 Cummins is happy lugging along at any speed. Point is, buy a truck for its intended purpose and you'll be so much happier.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't need to race to the top of the hill, I use my truck for work and it needs to be reliable and good on fuel. The 6.7 does everything I need and it has more to spare. We got back from the mountains and that 6.7 is amazing towing. 1800rpm, going up a 7% grade and its happier than a pig in poop (which is pretty happy by the way). The engine brake is awesome and handles the loads with ease. If you read the tests where they actually tow with it, there will be a small sentence where they say the Cummins 6.7 felt the best towing. In my book, thats what counts. I want an engine brake that actually slows the truck down WITHOUT having to use the service brakes like the Ford. And the Dodge EB is better than the GM too. There is a reason that over 50% of the hot shotters out there are running the Cummins.

If I want to go silly fast, I have a KTM RC8 sitting in the garage at home. 0-60 in 2.8 and a quarter mile of 10.5, all the while with factory warranty.

Quick Reply: Fact or Fiction 2011 Cummins HO 800ft. lbs. of Torque